Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 04:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236.5/210/165
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Just read the book and...

I think once I get the hang on this woe, I'm really going to like it. I read the book all at once because it was so interesting, albeit hard to understand at points.

They were so clear in the book about eating whole grains such as "old fashioned oats" but in the very first day of menu's they list, they have "instant oatmeal". I found that to be very contradictive. In fact the menu's they have listed seemed to me to be too heavy on the carbs for weight loss.

The thing I'm wondering is about food combinations. I was hoping that I could eat fruits with other things like in my oatmeal or in my yogurt. I make a yogurt thing made with ff/sf dannon plain yogurt, a packet of Splenda, 1/4c old fashion oats, and a 1/2 cup blueberries. Would this be okay? The book tells me that I should eat fruits seperately, but is it the "kiss of death" if I combine them with other foods?

My other wonderings were about salad dressing and mayoniases. Anyone know the brand names of some good legal ones to try?

Thanks for listening....

Daisy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 05:53

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 356/332/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Welcome

Hi Daisy!

Welcome to the SB Forum. We are delighted to have you here.

The book can be confusing.That is one of the reasons we are going to have a detailed discussion of the book over the next few weeks.

I don't claim to be an expert but lets see if I can help answer your questions though.

1) The 14 Day Menus: if you go to the sugarbuster.com site and click on the FAQs there are interviews with the authors. They state that the menus are actually for maintenance and not neccessarily weight loss. That isn't stated in the book.

2) Yes there seem to be some contridictions in the book about whole foods. It is my understanding that a new book is due out in december. Perhaps it will clear some of this up.

My personal decision is to stick with whole grains. So I don't use "instant" oats. I believe that the less processed the food is the better.

3) FRUIT: If fruit in combination with other foods causes you indigestion then eat it seperately. Also the book states that you lose the benefit of a lessened insulin response when you eat fruit with other foods.

I mostly eat fruit as snacks. I prefer to eat citrus alone as that seems to cause digestive problems for me otherwise.

I do eat fruit with yogurt (I make my own yogurt) without a problem. I occasionally put fruit in a salad.I made a fab Spicey Apricot Chicken for supper last night. I didn't have any tummy distress from that.

So I'd say go for it. You may need to experiment with this. If you aren't losing pounds or your tummy protests then you may need to cut back on fruit in combination with other foods.

4) Look for dressings that contain 3g of sugar or less per serving. Newmans Own are great. I love bleu cheese myself. Or you can make your own and be assured that there are no added sugars or chemicals. It only takes a few minutes to whip up a yummy dressing.

It really isn't complicated once you get the hang of the basics. Its the easiest Plan I've ever been on.

Hope this helps!
Feel free to ask any questions you want. We are all here to support you.

molly

Last edited by molly1844 : Mon, Sep-02-02 at 05:59.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 08:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236.5/210/165
BF:
Progress: 37%

Thanks Molly!

It's nice to be able to talk to others who are on SB. I did Atkins this summer and had nice results but couldn't stick to it. I don't believe in eleminating entire food groups, I just don't feel it's healthy. So when I found SB, actually here...I was pleasantly surprized. I didn't go out and get the book right away just because I was so tired of "dieting" that I didn't want to start another. But this seems to me to be more of a way of life, as they say, instead of restricting lots of different things. BTW I gained back all the weight I lost when I started eating carbs again. SB seems to be a nice balance, and makes biochemical sense to me.

So, I am okay with the full fat Ranch dressing if sugar is not listedin the first three ingredients? I thought sugar could not be anywhere in the label to be a legal one...this is good info! I remember that rule from back in my CALP days! LOL...been on everything now except WW. I don't "do" meetings

I read your other threads here and think I'll join in from now on. I like this board because there are a few regular posters instead of millions of infrequent ones...like on the other boards. It'll be nice to get to know you all.

Thanks for returning my post and I'll see you soon!

Happy Sugar Busting!

Daisy