Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-10, 13:21
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Is Kelp a good source of Iodine?

The question came up because I have been taking kelp supplements for over 20 years and still turned up with an iodine deficiency.

Once I started supplementing with Iodoral iodine, I couldn't believe the change it made in me, especially in my bone/leg strength and balance.

Here's one doctor's take:

http://curezone.com/faq/q.asp?a=13,281,2962&q=657
Quote:
Caution With Kelp Supplements

My research has shown that after testing over 4,000 patients for their Iodine levels, over 96% of those tested are significantly low in iodine. Many patients ask me if they can take kelp instead of iodine. The amount of iodine in kelp can be variable. Furthermore, I was always concerned that kelp supplements may contain toxic amounts of arsenic or halides. I have tested 2 kelp supplements and found very elevated arsenic levels in both items. Both of these products were marketed heavily and sales in the millions of dollars were reported. When I contacted he manufactures of these products, neither returned my phone calls. Remember, if kelp is grown in a polluted area of the ocean, it may contain elevated amounts of these pollutants. New research has validated my findings.

Researchers at the University of California/Davis found that eight out of nine kelp supplements contained abnormal levels of arsenic (Env. Health Perspectives, April, 2007). The researchers began to look at kelp supplements after a patient presented to the UC Davis clinic with a myriad of complaints including memory loss, hair loss and fatigue. She was found to have very high arsenic levels which was traced to a kelp supplement she was taking. After stopping the kelp supplement, her arsenic levels gradually declined and her symptoms improved.

So, what can you do? IF you are low in iodine, take a pure iodine product that is not contaminated. Lugol’s solution or tableted Lugol’s solution (Iodoral®) have both proven safe and effective in my practice. Kelp can be an appropriate iodine source if the kelp has been tested and found free of toxic elements. I would be very cautious about taking a kelp supplement unless the manufacture is consistently testing the kelp for purity and consistency.

and there was this article:

Vitamins With Kelp Not an Adequate Source of Iodine for Pregnant Women
http://www.medpagetoday.com/OBGYN/Pregnancy/13029

But they don't really speak to the adequacy of using kelp to obtain sufficient iodine.

So what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-10, 15:15
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

You can buy dried powdered kelp in the Asian section of a health food store or Whole Foods in a shaker container, much like salt. It's harvested in Maine. No additives.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-10, 23:31

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
Is Kelp a good source of Iodine?

I think the Eadeses discussed this in their newest book, The Six Week Cure for the Middle Aged Middle, though I cannot find the passage right now. They said the same - kelp is inadequate, use Iodoral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
I couldn't believe the change it made in me, especially in my bone/leg strength and balance.

Glad to hear the testimonial. I've been using up some kelp tabs but I'll break down and buy the Iodoral now (I think they have it on amazon).
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 15:26

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

i have just ordered lugols solution and am hoping for positive results. what's the difference btw that and iodoral?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-10, 01:13

Plan: lacto-ovo moderate carb
Stats: 163/147/141 Female 5 ft 5 "
BF:
Progress: 73%

There was an article a while back about kelp supplements being contaminated with arsenic ....
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-12, 15:00

Plan: Idaho weightloss
Stats: 238/208.8/150 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
I think the Eadeses discussed this in their newest book, The Six Week Cure for the Middle Aged Middle, though I cannot find the passage right now. They said the same - kelp is inadequate, use Iodoral.

Glad to hear the testimonial. I've been using up some kelp tabs but I'll break down and buy the Iodoral now (I think they have it on amazon).

I looked up the section in The Six Week Cure for the Middle Aged Middle, they ran an Iodine load test and they found that despite eating what they believed to be a diet that contained a fair amount of natural iodine from dried kelp, sea vegetables, salty foods and iodized salt - one retained 50 percent and one 60 percent of the iodine load. They corrected this with an iodine supplementation and switched to naturally harvested sea salt. They didn't state which supplement that they switched to.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-12, 17:19

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 255/207/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 51%

So glad I read this! I was using Thyadine and it helped alot I stopped and really feel the difference now..Off to Amazon to get some Lugols!