Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 12:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/160/160
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Something other than EGGS for breakfast?

Good day to all,
Is there anything other than eggs that everyone eats for breakfast? I personaly, am getting tired of eating eggs (sometimes 6-8 at a time) and was wondering what everyone here eats for breakfast in the mornings? I feel sometimes that eating soooo many eggs causes me to have allergies and breathing problems and now I am trying to find a substitute. So what does everyone eat for breakfast if your not a big egg fan?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 13:05

Stats: 193/193/140 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking Think outside the egg carton!

There are soo many choices for breakfast. This morning I had a chicken breast. tHere are some great suggeastions in the recipe section. I hear the crustless quiche is delicious, but I haven't tried it yet. Have leftover pork chops or steaks. Yummy!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 13:10
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Javy... you're at goal already?? GOOD for you!!

For breakfast, I usually eat last night's veggie or some leftover meat in a scrambled egg and cheese toss... I'm used to it now, but I've also had sliced cheese and a little fruit (if you're on maintenance) as well as some nuts...

Anything can be a breakfast item as long as you're in the mood for it. Check out the Mock Danish in the recipes section.

And coffee, of course, with cream!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 13:12
Registered Member

Oh...forgot something...

I used to scramble 3 eggs with my meat and veg;s...now I just use 2, add a little water or cream, and extend the dish with more green igredients... sometimes I have more veggies and sliced ham or beef than eggs...and it doesn't seem like an egg dish at all.

More than 2 or 3 eggs at a time is more than plenty...you don't want to have those problems you mentioned. And maybe a little SF yogurt once in a while if you're on maintenance.

#5   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 13:27
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Are you finished Induction?

Since I finished official Induction, I've added in some berries and plain yogurt. (Plain yogurt with active cultures has less carbs than the label because the cultures feed on the lactose (sugar) - do a search for yogurt for more info on this.)

I know have a breakfast shake 3 or 4 mornings a week, which has been great as I was SO sick of eggs.

My shake recipe:

4 ice cubes - crushed in blender, then add:
1 scoop whey protein powder (I use vanilla or chocolate)
.5 cup plain yogurt
15 frozen raspberries

This makes a nice big, thick shake. Some people also add heavy cream. It's also a great meal on the go.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 13:37

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I only have eggs on the weekend, unless I have some quiche already made up. Sometimes I'll have a slice of lo carb cheesecake ( about 300 cal worth) or I'll make up a lo carb shake. Since I only cook for two , I often don't have leftovers from the night before.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 13:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

I know what you mean. I got burnt out on eggs and now if I eat more than one at a time, I either vomit or wish desparately that I would.

Hot Cereal:

4 Tbs flax meal
Tbs ground pumpkin seeds
Tbs soy protein
Tbs oat or wheat bran
dash cinnamon

Mix w/water and microwave for 2 minutes, sprinkle with Splenda and add butter.

Another thing that's super quick, if not exactly delish, is to microwave 2 - 3 Tbs of cream cheese for 30 seconds and stir in some Splenda. It's tolerable, but a little fruit would probably improve it some.

Ricotta cheese or whole milk yogurt with berries and Splenda mixed in.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 13:56

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Yup, if you're past induction, LC hot cereals are pretty good. I like Flax-o-meal with cream and butter.
You could also eat lunch meats wrapped up in cream cheese.
Any dinner food is also acceptable.

Check out the LC recipes forum for breakfast ideas. I love the spinach frittatas on there.

Good luck! I know I have no time or stomach for eggs in the morning on weekdays. I do like to grab a couple hard boiled as I run out the door though. Good with cheese cubes and microwaved bacon.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 14:14
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I pretty much have a shake everymorning now, works out well for me because I am not ususal hungry in the mornings.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 14:40
Registered Member

Stats: 175/160/160
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yea, I have reached my target weight, THANK GOODNESS!!!!
Now I am trying to find the best things to eat to keep that weight but not have any complications with sickness, from eating too much meat, and constipation. Things like that. Eggs do get tiresome for me after you eat sooo many.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 15:48
Registered Member

Stats: 369/303/220 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 44%

Your going to find this odd, but I found bacon to beat my morning ritual. For some reason I became really fed up with eggs quick, but for some reason I can eat bacon and never get bored.

I have it each morning, I take a half a pound, cut it in half and cook it, then I split it in two again once cooked and half goes to my loving wife and half to me. Sometimes I have eggs with it, sometimes ham, sometimes sausage, but always have a bit of bacon and the fat content keeps me from getting hungry too soon.

So maybe its just finding the food you like allot and sticking with it. Variety is nice, but not always practicle..

I have also found a passion for BLT with Low carb bread in the morning.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 18:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/143.0/135 Female 5'4"
BF:?
Progress: 60%

This is kinda sorta like lc cereal - cook up some lc pasta (break it up real small first). Then add some cream, butter, and lc maple syrup.
Diane
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 19:26
Registered Member

My nutrition store - and many gourmet grocery stores - sells Atkins pancake mix, SF syrup, and a whole bunch of LC muffins, waffles, etc.

They're pricey...and you gotta be brave to try some of that stuff...but if you're game, they are some other options.