Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Aug-25-09, 05:26

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

"Moderation" would probably improve the health of most people though...

This is just my opinion, but it isn't the difference between "intense" and "moderation" that's the problem with health as we're aging, it's the difference between "moderation" and "doing nothing at all"....

btw: I moderately do intense exercises...
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Aug-25-09, 08:05
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I exercise because it makes me feel great. I love that endorphin rush from running. I love the athleticism of my dance class. I like feeling strong and capable when I lift weights.

But it does *nothing* for my weight. To lose weight, I have to change how I eat. Period.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Aug-25-09, 10:56

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneise
I guess I have always thought that I had to bust my ass to consider a workout worthwhile.
You must have built up an awesome capacity. I think people who are strong and athletic like you must be, fall so easily into that one.

Read Mark's article I think it is "Chronic Cardio" about some downsides when you bust your ass every day.

In a funny way, the lack of progress might match the lack of slow and easy in your program. We always have to have a cycle of 3: working hard, compensating for whatever "came along for the ride" of the hard work, and easy moving.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Aug-26-09, 08:06

Plan: physician diet
Stats: 174/168/150 Female 5/6
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
You must have built up an awesome capacity. I think people who are strong and athletic like you must be, fall so easily into that one.

Read Mark's article I think it is "Chronic Cardio" about some downsides when you bust your ass every day.

In a funny way, the lack of progress might match the lack of slow and easy in your program. We always have to have a cycle of 3: working hard, compensating for whatever "came along for the ride" of the hard work, and easy moving.

Seejay,
I am new to the forum and can't find Mark's article on chronic cardio. Do you have a link I could follow. I really like what you are saying. It makes sense and I am a logical thinker. All of my friends go to the gym and work out so strong for years and we all look the same. I am so ready to learn the right way and why. Thanks for all your knowledge!!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Aug-26-09, 11:20

BF:

Quote:
Do you have a link I could follow. I really like what you are saying. It makes sense and I am a logical thinker. All of my friends go to the gym and work out so strong for years and we all look the same. I am so ready to learn the right way and why. Thanks for all your knowledge!!
Well it's Sisson's knowledge but it makes sense to me too, LOL.

Here are some that helped me with a better understanding. He has lots of articles but you have to search around some.

The Case Against Cardio

Chronic Cardio

Body Composition (he and his wife look GREAT in their 50s)

Definitive Guide to Low Level Activity
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Aug-26-09, 11:35
Registered Member

Plan: Zone, IF
Stats: 220/170/160 Male 67 inches
BF:25%
Progress: 83%

My trainer told me I run too much. I run 50 miles a week for three weeks then run 30 miles the fourth week. He says to run 30 miles a week and divide the free time between stretching, weights and HIIT.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Aug-26-09, 11:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorK
My trainer told me I run too much. I run 50 miles a week for three weeks then run 30 miles the fourth week. He says to run 30 miles a week and divide the free time between stretching, weights and HIIT.
Man, I hate when trainers are right.

Sissons was a runner and his performance went up when he did as your trainer suggests, or so he writes.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Aug-26-09, 12:42

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Man, I hate when trainers are right.

Sissons was a runner and his performance went up when he did as your trainer suggests, or so he writes.

Cool. I run even less than that! Boston Marathon here I come!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Aug-26-09, 14:23
Registered Member

Plan: Zone, IF
Stats: 220/170/160 Male 67 inches
BF:25%
Progress: 83%

So on my lunch hour instead of my usual 6 or 7 mile run, I stopped at 3 miles and spent the rest of the hour stretching and doing core work with a swiss ball. And I'll do it again after work.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Aug-27-09, 05:34

BF:
Progress:

Quote:

Here are some that helped me with a better understanding. He has lots of articles but you have to search around some.

The Case Against Cardio

Chronic Cardio

Thank You so much.
Awesome reading!
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Aug-27-09, 05:44

BF:
Progress:
Default How to get started

Ok so now I am learning about Chronic cardio and have realized that I need to start with some strength training. My usual schedule is doing 3 sets of 4 different arm exercises 2 days a week, with 1 day of core. Then the next week I will do the same with legs using ankle weights while I a m doing the floor work. Can someone get me started on a full body regimen that I can do? I am not the most savy with strength training and I seem to always pinch a muscle in my neck and shoulders when I do. I only use 10 lb weights but I think I could go to 15 for now. Thanks in advance! I am excited about this better way of getting fit!!
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Aug-30-09, 19:07

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Quote:

The Case Against Cardio

Chronic Cardio

I think they got it going on!
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Sep-04-09, 15:39
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach diet
Stats: 216/165/160 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Ok so now I am learning about Chronic cardio and have realized that I need to start with some strength training. My usual schedule is doing 3 sets of 4 different arm exercises 2 days a week, with 1 day of core. Then the next week I will do the same with legs using ankle weights while I a m doing the floor work. Can someone get me started on a full body regimen that I can do? I am not the most savy with strength training and I seem to always pinch a muscle in my neck and shoulders when I do. I only use 10 lb weights but I think I could go to 15 for now. Thanks in advance! I am excited about this better way of getting fit!!

If you need to gain more overall strength than gaining mass, incorporate more of Functional group muscles that involve the core. Stuff like kettlebell movements are keen
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Sep-04-09, 16:00
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach diet
Stats: 216/165/160 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress:

sorry double post....