Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#226   ^
Old Tue, May-23-17, 08:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by esw
Well done, it's so encouraging when things go right.
Can't say I'm doing well and I think I know the reason. I decided to cut back on the carbs!! I know maybe I should have put up with the hunger pangs but well.......
Looked back through my MFP food diary to find a time when I was enjoying what I was eating and at the very least not gaining and not binging. So back to that and see how it goes. I'm like a hamster on a wheel

No, don't think of it that way! A hamster on a wheel gets nowhere ever. It's more like riding a bicycle - we speed up, slow down, and coast when necessary.
Sponsored Links
  #227   ^
Old Wed, May-24-17, 05:51

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

I'm going to google Primal and see what it's all about. I'm not sure I know. Barb, some people suggest eating your carbs earlier in the day because then you tend to burn them off throughout the day. Others say have a bit of carb in the evening to help with sleep. Whatever works for the individual. If I have carbs, it's usually with dinner, because I'm fixing them for DH.
  #228   ^
Old Wed, May-24-17, 05:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCarolSue
I'm going to google Primal and see what it's all about.

It is kind of my own plan: Paleo, but with dairy.

Mark's Daily Apple is the website for it.
  #229   ^
Old Wed, May-24-17, 08:38

BF:
Default A

Carol, Mark Sisson is the guru and author of The Primal Blueprint and his website/blog/forum, Mark's Daily Apple (marksdailyapple.com). There is a wealth of information on his website including how to get started (look for "Start Here" and "Primal Blueprint 101"). Pay attention to what he says rather than the multitude of posters on his forum with their own erroneous ideas and opinions. They really go off on tangents. Mark's daily blog, going on for years now, is a treasure chest of guidelines from the horse's mouth. The Primal Blueprint, his original book, is good to read and keep as a guide should you decide to follow it. It is a more laid-back and flexible version of paleo, as WereBear suggested. Full-fat dairy if you tolerate it and grass-fed butter are included.

Mark Sisson also establishes a "carbohydrate curve" that makes sense and is so easy to follow. In a nutshell, the 50-70 carb range you prefer (I do, too) is great for gradual weight loss.

About carbs, I like having a banana and Greek yogurt in the morning. For me, it fills in a lot of nutritional gaps besides being light on my stomach and tasty first thing in the morning. So that's 35 g of carbs right there. No problem for me. I like the idea of burning carbs early in the day. As you said, different things work for different people.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by barb712 : Wed, May-24-17 at 08:48.
  #230   ^
Old Thu, May-25-17, 04:31

Thanks for the info. I have Mark's Daily Apple bookmarked but never read into it thoroughly, and I also have Primal Blueprint 101. When I see books like that at Goodwill I buy them, since they are only $1 or $2. I think I looked through it when I first got it but there was something about the plan I didn't like, so I never really got into it. I will get it out again, now. I have a habit, good or bad, of tweaking a plan to suit my own likes/dislikes.
  #231   ^
Old Thu, May-25-17, 05:17

BF:

Just remember Mark Sisson was an endurance athlete, and his place is full of young people with high levels of activity
  #232   ^
Old Thu, May-25-17, 07:39

Well, I am an OLD person, with low levels of activity! LOL
  #233   ^
Old Thu, May-25-17, 07:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Just remember Mark Sisson was an endurance athlete, and his place is full of young people with high levels of activity

Bingo! That's what turned me off to it and why I resisted sticking with it. There didn't seem to be a lot of support online for older women like me, and besides that the whole Grok thing seemed over the top and gimmicky. It's hard to believe Mark and I are the same age ... he looks great, and I am the polar opposite of an endurance athlete.

However, after bouncing around from diet to diet looking for something I could stick with for life for both health and weight maintenance, primal seemed to be the best fit for me as far as lifestyle and food choices. Especially the "move around a lot at a slow pace" recommendation. I thought to myself, "I can do that!" When you strip away all the schtick, it's a nice and mellow yet very pleasing, effective and balanced way to eat and live. It reminds me very much of the "back to nature" movement of the '70s, minus the tree bark.

BTW, since I re-started thinking primal a couple of weeks ago, I've dropped two pounds after being stuck for weeks. It's a big deal for me! And I feel great. Thanks for letting me share ...

Again we land in that same place - find whatever works for YOU!

Last edited by barb712 : Thu, May-25-17 at 07:54.
  #234   ^
Old Thu, May-25-17, 08:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/175/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 0%

Good to see this thread being resurrected!
I think sometimes there is nothing else I could possibly do to make this work. By work I mean something I can sustain permanently whilst still enjoying and looking forward to my choices. But by jove I can usually find something to tweak. Present tweak is be aware of carbs and their effects particularly on their own. Probably going more by counting calories though. Have considered primal in the past, but I don't do well feeling I have to permanently restrict certain things, it makes me rebel.
  #235   ^
Old Thu, May-25-17, 08:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
When you strip away all the schtick, it's a nice and mellow yet very pleasing, effective and balanced way to eat and live. It reminds me very much of the "back to nature" movement of the '70s, minus the tree bark.

I am very fond of it too. It is practical, it emphasizes real food, and yet it is also flexible about helping you figure out you.
  #236   ^
Old Thu, May-25-17, 08:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I am very fond of it too. It is practical, it emphasizes real food, and yet it is also flexible about helping you figure out you.

Well said, WereBear!

esw and Carol, I hear you about the tweaking and rebelling part. I need flexibility, to make my own choices. I don't like extremes. I often borrow philosophies and tips from various books I have read over the years to concoct my own WOE. I can't follow any one rigidly and dogmatically. Instant fail if that's the case!
  #237   ^
Old Fri, May-26-17, 14:59

I read somewhere that you are doing good if you follow your WOE 80% of the time, so I guess that's me. Having said that, maybe that's why I have such a hard time losing weight, by not sticking more firmly to plan. I have read of some people who follow very strict low carb but still stall for a long period of time, but 9 years? That one heck of a stall. ha ha
  #238   ^
Old Fri, May-26-17, 16:28

BF:

Nine year stall? 😱😛. A lot of people do 80/20 paleo or primal, and it works when it comes to staying healthy but not so much for losing weight, and it's so easy to rationalize that 80/20 to 50/50 and worse. Been there, done that!
  #239   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-17, 07:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
Nine year stall? 😱😛. A lot of people do 80/20 paleo or primal, and it works when it comes to staying healthy but not so much for losing weight, and it's so easy to rationalize that 80/20 to 50/50 and worse. Been there, done that!

I'm finding that out, Barb. I really need to reexamine my WOE to get better results.
  #240   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-17, 08:11

BF:

From many people's experience here, we have to go very low carb for a period of time to heal our metabolic issues, and retrain our body about proper insulin release.

There's also the pattern of release. There's a theory that the pancreas releases insulin based on the last meal. If so, the usual pattern of meal-snack-meal-snack-meal-snack would be disastrous. You'd either be getting two much insulin, making your hungry as blood sugar drops, or not releasing enough, triggering a second one, making you hungry, etc.