Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 20:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 117/107/105?
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Suzanne Somers

Are any of you familiar with Suzanne Somer's book, Fast & Easy? Her diet is also low carb and high protein. She makes it a bit easier on the palate by the sounds of it. You can have fruit in the morning if it's at least 20 minutes before your meal or you can have it as a snack if it's 2 hours after a meal. Only on an empty stomach. You can have a carb meal as well as long as there are NO fats in it or protein. So you can have cereal that has no sugar with no fat milk and whole wheat toast with veggies or no fat cottage cheese. The thing I am really wondering about in my expensive quest to find a good low carb bread is, she says no gluten flour because it's "white". I would really like an answer to that from an Atkin's expert!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 12:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

I haven't read her book, so this isn't an opinion of it, but my personal experience of eating the way you described (fruit on an empty stomach, cereal w/skim milk) was that it caused insulin swings and I was constantly hungry. If you don't have insulin issues it may not be a problem for you, but for me eating carbs without protein or fat led to the weight gain that made me turn to Atkins.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 00:11

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Oh heck!

I missed the thing about Gluten being funky. and I just got two boxes of baking mix with it in. But the Atkins baking mixes use wheat gluten and I'd tend to trust him over her, to tell the truth. While I love Suzanne's plan, she doesn't have the medical background he has. (had )

I have had no problem eating fruit alone and carbs without fats. I've lost just fine that way. I stall if I combine too much, so I stick to her plan pretty closely. I guess we each have to find out how our own bodies react to nutrition and go from there.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 12:31

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Wheat Gluten is ok!

I asked about this over on the Suzanne Somers site and was told it is fine. It is in her bread mixes and pancake mixes etc that she sells online. Wheat Gluten is just the wheat protein with the starches removed, so it contains no carbohydrates. Not sure what you read in Fast and Easy. I couldn't find it in my book, but then her books are not very well organized IMOP.

I do fine sticking to her guidelines very closely and I do stall if I start combining "illegally", so I am well suited to her plan. There are some people who are not though, so the only way to find out is to try it yourself!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 13:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 117/107/105?
BF:
Progress: 67%
Smile thanks

Thanks for replying. I will stick with Atkin's though. He was the pioneer of low carb and I'm doing well on it.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 23:57

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 152/152/108
BF:
Progress:

What I'm not getting is - how do you eat the whole wheat tortillas with beans/salsa/ or other non-fat ingrediants? What I mean is that ALL the tortillas I find seem to have some kind of fat. Let us know if you have found tortillas without fat - or is this possible? I look forward to this kind of carb meal if possible. Thanks!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 14:55

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

I haven't had any problems with food combining causing insulin surges. I'm losing pretty well on Somersizing, and it is a LOT easier to follow for me than Atkins. Also, LCLULU, I thought my whole wheat tortillas didn't have any added fat, but I just looked at the label, and they have vegetable shortening; you're right!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 21:04

Plan: lower carb, lower GI
Stats: 298/277/240 Female 5'6
BF:yes it is
Progress: 36%

There are some somersizing links with recipes for whole wheat tortillas without fat. Try Somersizing101 and Somersizing Life. Those should get you to some websites with links to other somersizers -or ask one of the ladies at ss board to link you. I have not been able to find ff whole wheat store brands either. Gonna have to make my own
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 11:58

Plan: Shangri-La Diet
Stats: 316/217.5/154 Female 67"
BF:60/36/24
Progress: 61%

Whole Foods Market had some whole wheat tortillas. I believe they were low-fat or fat-free.