Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-07, 08:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 158/146.8/130 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default rear deltoids...

my shoulders/tricep area is a big trouble spot for me, so i was wondering if anyone knows of a good strength-building exercise. thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-07, 13:32

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Close grip benches for the tris(hands no closer than 12 inches apart)..dumbell upright rows for the delts(medial), Cable rows with a rope pulling it to your face for rear delts..

Don't do tricep kickbacks or pushdowns. I think the anterior(front delt) gets plenty of stimulus through chest training.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-07, 14:42

Plan: Ketogenic/Paleolithic
Stats: 310/179/175 Male 71
BF:44%/6%/5%
Progress: 97%

kjs130,

Bodyweight rows are great for working your rear-delts. Go to youtube or do a google seartch for bodyweight rows and you'll see a couple of different versions. Personally, I love 'em!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-07, 05:09
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Overhead pressing with either dumbbells or barbell, and arnies are great for overall delt development, and for supplementary rear delt work you can add in DB Lying rear lateral raise.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-07, 08:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 158/146.8/130 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

thanks! i'm excited to try all of these
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-07, 18:53

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Don't do tricep kickbacks or pushdowns.
Why? I've seen kickbacks laughed at, although I never understood why....but this is the first time for pushdowns. I know dips cause some people shoulder problems, so they should carry a warning.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 05:10
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
Why? I've seen kickbacks laughed at, although I never understood why....but this is the first time for pushdowns. I know dips cause some people shoulder problems, so they should carry a warning.

Deb, a few months ago, there was a great thread about developing shoulders over at another board (EP), and one of the well-respected smart guys said this:
Quote:
Think tension in the context of muscle length. Exercises which expose muscles to tension at greater muscle lengths (i.e. positions of stretch) are, in theory, the most conducive to hypertrophy.

The opposite is also true. Why do triceps kickbacks suck so much for growth? Because the greatest tension is almost entirely at the point of peak contraction, and almost entirely absent at longer muscle lengths.

Muscle tension generated in positions of stretch has a tendency to shift strain towards the contractile structures in muscle and away from the passive structures. Hypertrophy is, fundamentally, an adaptation to strain of the contractile machinery of muscle tissue.

Easy examples (of good exercises):

RDL's for hamstrings. Dips for triceps. Incline curls for biceps. Closer grip chins/pullups/pulldowns for lats (contrary to bro wisdom, the lats are NOT more stretched with a wide grip).

http://www.extreme-physique.com/for...25&postcount=43

I hadn't thought about pushdowns, since I don't have the equipment to do them, but I think they would fit in here, too, as the greatest point of tension also being at peak contraction. Although using a cable for these would allow for more constant tension, so I dunno. I don't usually hear people bashing tri pushdowns, but kickbacks yeah.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 09:04

BF:
Progress:

Tricep extensions are a total isolation excercise and very easy to do..we are all in agreement that big movements produce the best results. Peak contraction or not, pushdowns are way inferior to dips and close grip benches.

People who have problems with dips usually do them wrong or suffer from doing way to many flat bench presses which are harder on the shoulders than dips.

I still think the most damaging excercises for the shoulders are behind the neck presses and chins and pulldowns behind the head..a very unnatural movement
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 09:08

BF:

Thanks Lisa and Steve! It helps when you understand the reasons why certain exercises are discouraged and others are encouraged.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 09:14

BF:

Bench dips have never caused me any problems, but parallels do on occasion, cause my collarbone to hurt. I've started doing an exercise to help prevent that.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-07, 10:51

BF:
Progress:

Galatia,
Bench dips have proven to be one of the most damaging excercises to the shoulders,elbows, wrists...it puts your body in an unnatural position and the movement is very unnatural..

How does that position apply to everyday usage?

I know I am not good at explaining my position at times, but do you see where I'm coming from?

By all means, do that movement if you have no problems, but I have seen/heard of the wear and tear that excercise produces..all down the road.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-07, 22:15

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

High volume close grip bench at greater than 75% 1RM are the king at building GREAT TRICEPS. Not to mention, they are great supplemental work to a big bench too. Parallel bar dips are secondary for me.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-07, 09:00

BF:
Progress:

Oh yeah KB..my dad can beat up your dad..lol
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-07, 21:47

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Oh yeah, well my dad was in the Army, so there.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-07, 08:34

BF:
Progress:

Oh yeah, well my dad OWNS the army so there.