Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-07, 11:20
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Any long haired joggers out there?

Ok, this seems like a really dumb question........but if there are any long haired joggers out there......how do you wear your hair when you're jogging?

I'm pretty simple with my hair........it's either down or in a ponytail.
I don't know how to do braids or buns or anything like that.........so I just pull it back in a ponytail to jog.

Lately it is just really getting on my nerves. Especially once I start sweating.

Is there anyone out there that has this same issue? or any ideas how to pull it back/up........securely enough to stay put while running?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-07, 11:23
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

I don't jog but I wear my hair up a lot especially if I'm very active or doing something messy and of course when it's hot. I often put it in a ponytail and then hold the pony tail up with one of those jumbo clip type of things - you probably know the kind I mean you get them where they sell barrettes and hair elastics. I find it holds very securely.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-07, 12:03

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

When I had long hair I used to just curl the ponytail around and tuck the end in the elastic. I'm a sweaty mess anyway after I exercise so I wasn't really looking for the style thing.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-07, 12:12

Plan: General
Stats: 214.0/206.8/192.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 34%

You can:

- use a tighter elastic versus any scrunchie sort that you can't really get a tight 'tail with. I personally like the large brown ones - thicker, gripier, and can be doubled a couple of times.

- braid the ponytail and then wrap/tuck it back on itself a couple times and secure with elastics or a doubled scrunchie

- wrap the ponytail in a clockwise/counter-clockwise (whatever you're more comfortable doing) while twisting the hair on itself to create a smooth "rope", thereby forming a "bun", and secure with elastics or a doubled scrunchie

- cut your hair

The last three options all worked for me back when I had mid- to bottom- of shoulder blade length hair and daily running was a mandatory thing and I couldn't sport a ponytail. NOTE: the last option may actually create more problems than solve due to hair-in-the-face if it's too short....

HTH

Last edited by fetch : Wed, Sep-26-07 at 12:20.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-07, 12:54
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thank you all.....for your responses.........and not calling me a tard.

I will try every one of those suggestions and see what works for me..........well except for the cutting of the hair. ha ha (I swore it off after the last bad short cut)

Thank you again. I appreciate it.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-07, 08:37
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I go with a ponytail, but it's really hot and I can't stand the bottom of the ponytail on my neck, on the last pull-through of the hair through the elastic, I only pull the hair half-way through, leaving the ponytail end in elastic and a "bun" of a loop of hair at the back of my head. Works like a charm.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-07, 08:38
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Then there is the really dorky side ponytail I have to use when I'm doing my weights so that I can lay my head back on the bench when I'm bench pressing!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-07, 12:28

Plan: General
Stats: 214.0/206.8/192.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
Then there is the really dorky side ponytail I have to use when I'm doing my weights so that I can lay my head back on the bench when I'm bench pressing!

Low (below and behind the ear) pigtails may solve the problem?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-07, 14:52
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

I usually put a ponytail really high on my head so I can lay down on my bench. Sometimes really low instead, but I have long bangs that escape the elastic when I go that way.
Dorky, but nobody's in my garage with me when I'm doing it.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-07, 17:04

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Hair in bun on top of head held with a chopstick. My hair is below my waist and very heavy and hard to deal with. It's the only thing that works for me at this point, without causing pain.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-07, 20:21

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 100 inches
BF:I wish I knew!
Progress: 85%

or long hair is annoying in the super early morning when your hair gets soooo frizzy that it bunches up into a frizz ball and it is IMPOSSIBLE to the rubber band out! My friend and I both put our hair in a low ponytail with a rubber band and then put thepony tail into a braid with another rubberband. bobby pin any stray hairs from your forehead.