Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-07, 12:50

Plan: who knows???
Stats: 208/173/175 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 106%
Default Lifting/Time to Change it up

All Last winter I was lifting heavy. I got to my strongest ever, but also my heaviest ever. I've never been thin, but at 40 yrs old, 5'6" and 208, I was overweight by a lot. max weights= Bench 315, Dead 425, Squat 345. Not incredible but I was happy with it.

This summer I decided it was time to lose some weight, and let my joints heal. Started doing cardio 4 days a week and lifting lighter for more reps. I understood I was going to lose strength, but wanted to retain all I could, so I went low carb (CKD) and its been a big help. Im down to 182 lbs , but my bench is down to 275, squat 295 and deads are really getting hurt at 335.

Well, my weight loss has slowed to a crawl and my strength is stable, so my body has gotten used to what I'm doing. I guess its time to go heavy again (for at least a while) and try to gain some strength back. My first concern is my bone spurs in my elbows. They really flare up when I bench heavy. I plan to combat that by doing more flys than presses. I've already read enough to convince me that lifting heavy for sets of 5 is going to be my new routine. My only real concerns at this point are caloric intake and fitness. One issue at a time -

Calories. If my plan is not so much to bulk as it is to force my body to readjust from what its used to, should I increase intake? I stay close to 0 carbs during the week, 1800 calories with my current plan.

Fitness - The eliptical and stepper machines Ive been using have definitely helped my cardiavascular system. I can take my dogs on longer walks with out getting even a bit winded, my sessions have gotten longer and longer. To keep my cardio level up, should I continue doing cardio, just at a more intense, shorter duration?

Any input will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-07, 13:30
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Good question on the cardio. We tend not to talk about cardio much here, the focus is usually on weight or interval training as they are seen to be the ticket to fat loss. I still like cardio though, I enjoy the workouts and like the day to day feeling of being able to run for a bus or walk the dog or whatever, too.

I'm still in a place where I'm trying to increase my cardio fitness, so I do both, intense shorter duration workouts and longer steady state workouts. I'm not sure what I'd want/have to do in order to maintain my cardio fitness only though. I'm interested to hear what other say.

I don't have much input on your other questions though, unfortunately, sorry.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-07, 14:46

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 166/150/132 Female 5'3.5"
BF:31%/ ? /23.5%
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaddog66
Fitness - The eliptical and stepper machines Ive been using have definitely helped my cardiavascular system. I can take my dogs on longer walks with out getting even a bit winded, my sessions have gotten longer and longer. To keep my cardio level up, should I continue doing cardio, just at a more intense, shorter duration?
ExRx.net has a nice primer on cardiovascular fitness and a cool collection of aerobic tests . From the Aerobic Exercise Guidelines page (with my bold):
Quote:
Cardiovascular Fitness

For cardiorespiratory fitness ACSM (2000) recommends intensities between 55% and 65% to 90% of maximum heart rate, or between 40% and 50% to 85% of oxygen uptake reserve (VO2R) or Heart Rate Reserve (HHR). ACSM suggests low-fit or deconditioned individuals may experience improvements at exercise intensities of only 40% to 49% HRR or 55% to 64% Maximum Heart Rate (HRmax). Skinner et. al. (2004) remarks, "Because 'quite unfit', sedentary subjects are already doing enough activity in their daily lives to maintain a VO2 ventilatory threshold at levels that are generally greater than 50% VO2R, it is not necessary to reduce the prescribed intensity to 40% VO2R, as recommended by the ACSM."

Cardiovascular fitness improvement is dependent upon the exercise program (mode, frequency, duration, intensity of exercise) as well as the individual participant (fitness level, age, and health status). Also see Running Risk / Benefit Study. For the average person aerobic training programs typically produce an increase of VO2 of 5% to 20% (Pollock 1973). Those with low initial levels of fitness and those exhibiting large losses of body weight will exhibit up to a 40% improvement of VO2 max. Similarly, only modest improvements may be expected from individuals with high initial levels of fitness or those who exhibit little change in body weight (ACSM 1995).

Intensity, duration, and frequency are somewhat inversely proportional. If one component increases, the others may be decreased to a degree. When a program has been established intensity is the least forgiving component for cardiovascular fitness. An increase of duration or frequency can not make up for a significant decrease of intensity without a decrease of cardiovascular fitness.

Cardiovascular fitness can be expressed as maximum oxygen uptake (VO2 max). This is the amount of oxygen the body can utilize per unit weight per unit time [ml / (kg x min)]. Since measuring oxygen consumption directly is not feasible, many methods of measuring VO2 max have been developed. These cardiovascular tests have been validated by measuring the direct correlation of VO2 max and estimate cardiovascular fitness. These results of a cardiovascular fitness test can be used to prescribe an exercise program based on the participant's fitness level. See Aerobic Testing.

The inclusion of resistance training is important for a sound overall exercise program but will not significantly increase VO2 max. Circuit weight training (e.g. 10 to 15 repetitions with 15 to 30 seconds between weight stations) improves VO2 max an average of about 5%. For this reason circuit training is not generally recommended as an activity to improve cardiovascular fitness. (ACSM 1995).

Cheers--
Terry-24
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-07, 18:02

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

I would really bypass any long steady state cardio and push for more brief and intense cardio sessions.

Doing long steady state is ok from time to time, but you will maintain more muscle mass if you shorten your sessions..in and out for cardio..

How's the protein intake? Are you getting a gram per lean bodyweight?

I know the joints hurt,but lifting for higher reps is IMO, worst than low rep faire. I think higher rep stuff is more damaging to joints than lower rep set schemes.

Try Undulating reps..you get a nice mix of reps on a weekly basis.

Do try Glucosamine, Hylauronice Acid and Gelatin. Add a packet of Knox gelatin to your shake or to water and drink..dirt cheap and highly effective..try 3 packets a day..

And you are correct..you should go back to heavier weights..but try this. Every 6 workouts change the routine entirely.

So for chest , if you are doing benchs..do dips..
shoulders, military presses,..do dumbell upright rows..etc.

Then after 6 workouts,change the excercises again..

I really have had some sucess with topical DMSO..bad knees and shoulders. I rub it on and it totally gets me through a workout
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-07, 05:27

BF:

Well my joints got a bit better after I stopped going heavy for a few months, but heavy then was still higher reps (8-12 until near max). Maybe the 5 rep will help. On that topic, I'm assuming I should use the utmost of control, keep the muscles under tension (no lock out) and use repetition speed to offset the lack of repetiotions. Time under stress equals actual work performed, correct?

Used Glucosamine while I was having the worst of the pain, and it really helped a lot. Now I have just enough pain to be a nuisance, not enough to actually prevent me from doing anything.

Ive been decent at shaking the workouts up. For several months I did nothing for chest but flys and dips, now to dumbell presses and cables. Went away from squats for awhile, back to them now. Back seems to be the area I need to find some other excercises for.

Cardio yesterday consisted of 2 min 90% effort, 1 min rest (low intensity recovery cardio), for 3 consecutive sets with 2 min of "rest" at the end. Raised intensity for duration, seems like a fair trade and nowhere NEAR as monotonous.

Protein intake is over 200 daily. Sometimes 240, sometimes 200, but I think high enough. Only whey of the day comes immediatly after workout, the rest of the day is whole foods. Total caloric intake daily is 1800-2000. Someimes less, only more on the weekends. I dont think I can make any gains if I was to cut intake further.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-07, 08:40

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Looks like you got it going on, but do try and change up things every 6th workout..not for months unless of course you are making progress.

Pavel talks about this tension that you speak of..staying tight while using low reps.He states this is how you protect the joints and your back.

He also recommends crushing any weight you pick up with your hands to a pulp..during the whole set. This is a excellent recommendation and it can make you instantly stronger in just about all of your lifts.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-07, 10:40

BF:

I appreciate all the assistance. I've been lifting for almost 10 years and I still need reminders from time to time.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-07, 08:03

BF:

I can tell its been awhile since I lifted heavy. Elbows are flaring up but mostly I AM STARVING! Brought extra eggs and cheese sticks to work today :-) Im thinking I MAY (and I stress MAY) have to cut a day off my workout week (normally go 4 days) for extra rest and recovery. Hmmmm...on second though, maybe a cardio only day is in order.