Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-07, 08:55
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Weights and Jogging in the same day?

I looked around but couldn't find the answer. It seems alot of people will do weights on their day's off from running.

I've been jogging for almost a month now and then also started incorporating weights. I'm trying to jog 6 days a week (taking Sunday off) and I want to do weights at least twice a week.

Is it ok to do weights and jog on the same day? and if so.........does it matter which one you do first?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-07, 14:14
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

It's okay to do them on the same day. Are you going to do them together? If you are, weights first. If you've got about 4 hours in between workouts, it doesn't matter which first.

Depending on your goals from running, think seriously about substituting workouts instead of adding. Running 3 times a week, and three days of weights workouts is still a pretty awesome schedule. Going from nothing to 8-9 workouts a week in a month might be too big a jump in activity level. The goal is to feel good. If you are overtraining, it can slow your progress too.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-07, 14:29
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for your reply Valerie.
I've been walk/jogging off and on for months.........but since I got a treadmill I have noticed my endurance picking up considerably. I've been jogging 6 days a week not only for weight loss and to improve cardio, but it seems to really help my stress levels and I enjoy it.

Does that seem like too much?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-07, 15:25

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 166/150/132 Female 5'3.5"
BF:31%/ ? /23.5%
Progress: 47%

I'm a gym-rat and would run every day, but I make myself do some cross-training (the elliptical trainer) once or twice a week to shake things up a bit. But I agree, running is wonderful for dealing with stress.

FWIW, I do my strength work immediately before my cardio in the morning. I don't own my evenings--

Cheers--
Terry-24
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-07, 16:08
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Terry!

Just out of curiosity.........how can you slow down your progress by overtraining?
And does switching your exercise routine help your body at all? (I thought most people did it so they wouldn't get "burnt out")
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-07, 17:47
Paper beats rock?!?

Plan: Atkins! (Maintenance)
Stats: 178/147.6/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 92%

Chubby_one, I'm sure Valerie will have the full scoop on overtraining, but I can tell you this -- I know that when you overtrain and don't give your muscles time to heal fully between workouts, you significantly increase your chances of sustaining an injury, which would def. slow down your progress! (Actually, check out the topic on stress fractures on this page!)

Also, specifically in terms of weight lifting, your progress is quite literally slowed: one of the biggest signs that you're overtraining is that you can't match your previous performance at a certain weight. I realized I was doing this just this weekend, when I couldn't match my record from last week while doing the pectoral fly. My muscles needed more rest to repair and build... after all, it's only during the rest and repair periods that your muscles actually get stronger!

It's strange how addictive exercise can be -- that you would actually want to do it even though your body is still recovering and would rather have a little more rest. I never would have imagined this would be a problem for me. I have to admit, it's a problem I'm pretty happy to have.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-07, 17:57

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 166/150/132 Female 5'3.5"
BF:31%/ ? /23.5%
Progress: 47%

Here's a couple of sites discussing aspects of overtraining:

"under-nourishment" and the calorie deficit: "Aerobics Overtraining"

performance decrease: Overtraining: the Basics

recovery: "How to restore a damaged metabolism"

I change up my cardio routine to recruit other muscles into the workout, since I'm working on the whole package.

Cheers--
Terry-24
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-07, 20:35

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

There has been some research done on endurance training coupled with strength/ resistance training..

What the research has shown is that the body will "choose" endurance training over strength training..muscle building.

I think one has to choose what they really want to acheive and plan their program predominately over one or the other..

So if you want to build muscle and get hard...drop the jogging way back and increase your time in the weight room.

And I have mentioned this before,but getting enough rest is paramount to increasing strength and muscle gains. So if you are jogging daily, muscle gains will be severly hampered.

Charles Poliquin who is one of the foremost strength trainers in the world says that the body will usually adapt to a particular routine with in 6 workouts..

So if you are doing incline dumbell presses and dips for your pecs, you should change it up after 6 workouts..try incline flys and flat bench dumbell presses. It can also keep you "in the groove" and helps avoid one going stale on working out.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-07, 05:14
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced

Yup, what everyone else said. It's ok to do weights and cardio on the same day, but make sure you're allowing for recovery.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-07, 08:35
Registered Member

BF:

Wow. Thank you for all of your responses. Still a newb here.........so I really appreciate it.

I'm thinking I will drop back a bit on the jogging to maybe 3 or 4 days a week then..........and alternate it with weights. I definitely don't want any injuries this early in the game.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-07, 08:38
Bouncy!

Great links, Terry. (Terry always has great links! ).

I didn't know that about how quickly your body adapts to exercise, Steve. I have about 4 locations of my gym nearby, plus some dumbbells at home, so depending on whether it's a lunch workout, after work, weekend or I'm at home, all the places have different available equipment and my workouts vary from day to day though I'm always doing about 6-7 exercises each time that mostly hit the same areas (a full body workout with very little in the way of isolation exercises, mostly squats, DLs, presses, pulldowns). I'm assuming that's enough variety. I never do the same workout exactly 6 times in a row, but the same type of workout, just with variations on the theme, all the time. Is there some point where I should be changing it up *completely*, like doing a split routine, adding more isolation exercises or giving up my free weights and doing machines for a while?
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-07, 04:32
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced

Quote:
Is there some point where I should be changing it up *completely*, like doing a split routine, adding more isolation exercises or giving up my free weights and doing machines for a while?
I would say no. You can avoid weight training "adaptation" by practicing "progressive resistance"--adding weight to the bar as often as you can. Your body doesn't care if you're stimulating, say quads for example, by doing front squats vs bench step-ups...as long as you're getting that quad to work, you're getting an effective workout.

That said, it's fun to sometimes change up exercises and try new ones. But this is for the mental aspect of the game, not physical.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-07, 09:04
Bouncy!

Thanks, Dane. I do get enough variety with mixing up squats with front squats with Bulgarian splits, with goblet squats, for example, that I'm not getting bored, I was just wondering if I was missing out on something that could be helping me progress more.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 16:06

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Though I hate to google articles, here is a "Dummies" guide to the body adapting to a certain routine after 6 workouts...

The Borg Principle

Anybody who's ever watched the newer versions of "Star Trek" knows about the Borg. They're the bad-ass creatures who can't be beaten using conventional methods. Blast them or their ship with phasers, and they adapt. The only way to keep them off balance is to set your weapons on a constantly shifting frequency so they can't adapt.

Well, your body is the Borg. It's designed to adapt. When you keep doing the same exercises in the same order, for the same amount of reps, using the same hand grip or foot stance, the body adapts. In effect, the nervous system becomes ""hardwired" to that particular routine and consequently, fewer muscle fibers are recruited, less energy is used, and fewer demands in general are made on the body. You become an expert at that routine, and after a surprisingly short time, you stop making progress.

If, however, you keep shaking things up, "changing the frequency," so to speak, the nervous system does not adapt. Instead, what happens is that the body—the muscles—grow stronger and bigger to survive the onslaught of your attack. Research (by Poliquin and others) shows that, in most cases, the body begins to adapt after having performed a particular routine 6 times. After that, it's time to shake things up again.

Yes, to the Borg, resistance if futile, but in weight training, resistance to becoming stale is mandatory.