Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 13:53

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 175/155/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default In need of exercises for bum knee

Hi,

I am new and very glad to have found your forum. I apologize for this being long. I am trying to find some exercises I can do, now that my knee prevents me from the ones I was doing.

Background:
1) In April I started working out with trainers I worked with 6 years ago with great success. This time went form 175 to 160. Doing mostly weights and some cardio. Then I stalled and nothing changed for a month-not weight or inches.

2)Reoccuring knee pain sent me to the doctor, and I have chondopatellamalatia--basically my knee cap moves sideways instead of in the groove, due to a malformity in my leg. It was digging into the tissue and causing pain and doctor said no more exercises that bend my knee 90 degrees, or it will lead to further deterioration.

OK.

3) on the same day as the doctor appt: I went in for dress fitting(yes I'm getting married) and they couldn't zip the dress up even though I have lost 15 lbs and gone down two sizes because my back was too big-hahahah.

Turns out I was building more muscle on my upper body faster than I was burning off the fat.

So I have had to stop doing the leg stuff, and now layed off the chest presses ect so the dress will zip up.

Pretty much that leaves me with walking an hour a day(3.5 miles) I am doing crunches or pilates every day as well. I am stumped on what to do.
I feel great! But I have a stomach that I can't get rid of.

My waist has gone from (41 to 37inches) but now the weight bearing exercises/lunges and squats are no longer an option because of my knee pain. And those really helped me burn the calories.
I work out my biceps and triceps but don't know how much to do on those, and not get big arms.

Perhaps someone else has been in this boat? And regarding food: maybe I am not eating enough? 6 years ago I did low carb with great results. Thru diet , weights and cardio, I was at 148 and 5' 8 ". I had good muscle and was very fit. This time around, I have been stuck at the same weight and size for almost two months. My calories add up to 1500-1800 a day. Do you think that is too little?

Thank you for any ideas you might have!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 14:58

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Someone here recommended the Aquajogger www.aquajogger.com. I use one exclusively (sprained my toe) and it works great.

Janine
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 16:44

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 166/150/132 Female 5'3.5"
BF:31%/ ? /23.5%
Progress: 47%

Although PF isn't your ailment, Runner's World has an article on knee pain, "Cure Runner's Knee," knee pain, with instructions for three exercises to strengthen the quadriceps. None of the three involve bending the knee. (My emphasis below.)
Quote:
CURE RUNNER'S KNEE
Here's how to get rid of this painful runner's ailment
By Jim and Phil Wharton

Patellofemoral pain syndrome got its nickname for an obvious and very unfortunate reason--it's common among runners. The stress of running can cause irritation where the kneecap (patella) rests on the thighbone. The resulting pain can be sharp and sudden or dull and chronic, and it may disappear while you're running, only to return again afterward. While biomechanical issues may be to blame, the cause can often be traced back to poorly conditioned quadriceps and tight hamstrings. Weak quads aren't able to support the patella, leading it to track out of alignment, and inflexible hamstrings can put pressure on the knee. If you want to treat and avoid another bout with runner's knee, add strengthening and stretching to your routine. The three-step quadriceps exercise below is a good place to start. It works the muscles on the front, inside, and outside of your thigh. Do 10 reps of each part on both legs.

Quad Strengthener

Front Thigh: Lie on your back with an ankle weight on your right leg. Fully extend that leg and lock your knee. Keeping your foot relaxed and in a neutral position, lift your leg straight up toward your head as far as you can. Your goal should be to position your leg perpendicular to your body. Return to the starting position.

Inner Thigh: Do the same exercise, but this time, turn out your right leg (toes pointing away from you) to target your inner thigh muscles.

Outer Thigh: Repeat the same exercise again with your right leg turned in (toes pointing toward you) to isolate the muscles of your outer thigh.

Cheers--
Terry-24
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 06:10

BF:
Default Great Suggestions!

Wonderful suggestions! Thank you- that helps me with two things, exercise for the quads, which are starting to look soft and overall good exercise in the pool. Thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-07, 20:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 389/312/250 Male 6'3"
BF:guess
Progress: 55%
Default Me Too!!!

I had the exact same condition. My symptoms included paid getting up from a chair and sitting down. Also pain going up and down stairs.

I was told that my problem resulted from doing leg extensions at high weight with improper technique, I agreed.

I did physical therapy.

1) NO LEG EXTENSIONS EVER. Yes it isolates the quad muscle but if your kneecap doesn't slide properly (in the groove) you are damaging your knee and quad muscles.

2) List of exercises I did (and still do) are as follows:

always warm up with 5 minutes on recumbant bike - I hate it but it really burns the quads,

Wall slides - feet shoulder width apart, slide your back down the wall, slide down as far as you can without pain, do not allow your knee to go beyond your toes. Once you master this, add weights....this really gets the quads.

Straight Leg raises - lay on the floor, attach leg weight to thigh, above the knee, lift up keeping leg straight. At first I couldn't even lift 2 pounds. This should be done in all 4 directions (lay on side twice, on back once, stomach once)

Front knee dips - stand facing a wall. Make your toes touch the wall. bend your knees until they touch the wall (very little movement) Adding weights helps. This move isolates the knee-cap.

Single leg press - stand on the side of a step in your house. Slowly lower yourself almost touching the floor with your other foot (pretend you are stepping on an egg but not crushing it) and push back up. This one is the hardest since it is your body weight.

Hamstring curls - you should know what this is

Golden rule with leg exercises - never allow your knee to go beyond your toes...NEVER DO LEG EXTENSIONS!!!!

There are several other exercises I do but these are the main ones. Hope they help you like they helped me.

Rob
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-07, 05:52

BF:

Thanks! yeah and I'm not supposed to bend it to 90 degrees-anymore, my knee cap out of its groove is permanently. I have a Q angle that is off by 20% due to a curve in my bone. Just the way I was designed! Never had problems with it til I did walking lunges 4 times a week. It's been a month and half and the pain is almost gone. But my legs look squishy. I don't want to cause premature knee deterioriation, So I appreciate the exercise tips!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-07, 19:07

Plan: Pregnant-Moderation
Stats: 157/195/000 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: -24%

Hi Goldenblue,

You got some great suggestions here and i may use them to. I didn'T have the same knee condition, but i did have surgery about 1.5 years ago for a completely torn ligament ACL in the knee and had to do tons of rehab. One of the main sources of rehab and what became my main cardio for much of the year, was biking - just to be sure you know, unless it is to close to 90% angle. Otherwise, started with various legg lifts like someone suggested here then moved up to squats which sounds like you can't do know. I also was told from physio to do no leg extensions. Another idea, although a lot less intense, is doing various balancing exercises (on one leg on the floor or both or one leg ont he BOSU ball or balancing toll) which seems to work the quad of the resting leg.

Good luck!

Latté
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-07, 06:14

BF:

Thanks for your ideas! I have stopped doing any squats, leg extensions ect and it has greatly improved. It only hurts once in a while when I first get up in the morning. I walk, jog and do weights and core exercises. I have held off on the bike thing, because the stationary bike forces you to put your foot into the feet holders, which twists my leg to face straightward almost a 90 degree angle,and puts stress on my kneee. My leg is naturally turned out enough(note the 20 degree Q angle) that trying to conform to the straight facing forward pedal doesn't work without pain. When I was younger I did it, but now that I am older and understand what's at stake, I don't want to force it.