Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 19:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Sugar Busters
Stats: 196/163.5/150
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default +Making the switch

Hi! I am new to Sugar Busters, but not new to the boards or to low carbing. I was on Atkins since June 19 and lost about 35 pounds. Although I most thrilled at the progress, I got burned out on it. It started in November, then I took the whole month of december off...bad choice I know. But now it was hard to get back on the Atkins WOE. I need more variety, and although they say you can eat a lot of this and that, I need more bread, etc...I bought all the low sugar/whole wheat stuff at the store and started today on the sugar busters. Can anyone else who has made the switch or anyone who is on this diet tell me how it works. I would also like to know how it differs from Atkins. Also how many carbs/sugars, etc do you count per day? Thank you much!

kandi
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 19:36

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 356/332/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Hi Kandi!

Welcome to Sugar Busters!

I lost 69# last year on SB so it is working ok for me.

I personally have found that SB is the easiest food plan I have ever been on. No counting carbs, calories, fat grams at all.

Have you read the book yet? If not you can always check it out from the library.

SB is based on the Gylcemic Index. So you will want to primarily eat foods that have a low to moderate GI in order to control your insulin response. There are lists of appropriate foods in the book as well as an explaination of the science behind the plan.

HTH
molly
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 22:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234/245/145 Female 5'7"
BF:99%I'm pretty sure
Progress: -12%
Smile

YEEEHAW!

I was wondering the same things! I did the same things as Kandi. I was on Atkins from mid July and lost 35 pounds and some how lost total track and can't seem to get with the groove again. No more losing. I'm just one cheat fest after another.

I just don't understand the GI that well. I'm wondering if the insulin reaction of a food with a low GI is higher when you make the quantity bigger? That probably sounds like a stupid question. I'm reading the book though, and some concepts of insulin Im finally grasping.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 19:15

BF:
Default Not a stupid question at all...

I just wish I had a good answer. I'll dig around and see what I can find.

I've never really thought about it. I use the authors reccomendation for portion control --- just fill up my plate once.

Will let you low if I find out anything.

molly
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 23:05

Stats: 165/153/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Hi everyone, My DH is definately switching from Atkins to SB, and I probably am too because it will be easier if we're both on the same plan. He was having a hard time with Atkins, the other night I came home from work and he had ordered a pizza. Said he was going off LC altogether! So I started looking at other plans and SB seems the easiest to maintain. And looking through these threads it seems people are losing weight on it - lots of weight!

Carianne - I am reading the book and they do say if you eat too many of some of the low glycemic foods that it can cause an overabundance of insulin and stall weight loss. I think you can eat all the veggies you want, but some of the starches and fruits should be eaten in moderation.

I'm also finding the book very easy to understand, even the technical parts.

I am a little confused though as to what a "serving" is. I can see that a piece of fruit is a serving but how much WW pasta is a serving? a 1/2 cup, a whole cup?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 08:38

BF:
Arrow Hello Judy!

The Authors are not really specific when it comes to portion size.

Most SBers that I know, use 1/2 cup as a serving of starchy carb --- i.e. pasta, oatmeal or rice.
1/2 baked sweet potato is a serving .... 1 slice of bread is a serving.

For my own personal body chemistry, I need to keep the starchy carbs to 2-3 servings per day. You will probably need to experiment in order to determine what works best for you.

I don't put a limit on the LC Lo-GI veggies. I usually have 2-3 servings of fruit a day.

Please be aware that coming off of Atkins the increased amount of carbs may cause you to gain a pound or two. NOT TO PANIC! This is water weight and your body will get rid of it pronto. It is just an adjustment.

The other thing I wanted to mention was cravings. I find (and this may not be true for you) that some starchy carbs increase cravings and others don't.

Pasta, although acceptable on SB, is a red light food for me. It doesn't take much before I am out of control.

If I over eat bread I can tell it right away ... the ol' cravings kick right in. I try to stick to 1 slice of bread a day.

Again you will need to tweak the plan so that you get the maximum amount of food with the least amount of cravings.

You will quickly get to know how your body responds.

I hope this helps.

molly
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 10:55

Stats: 165/153/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Hi Molly, thx for the info. I've been cruising around checking out this thread. I can't wait to try some of the recipes! I also orders the SB recipe book and the Brennans' one too. Usually that's a good way to figure out portions. I plan to take it easy on the carbs, add them in slowly to see what my body can handle. I woke up feeling really good this morning, no brain fog or tiredness, I must be out of ketosis - haha. My poor husband was really having a hard time, he said he could hardly function. I guess not everyone is made to handle super LC.

Anyway, I'm excited to be off on a new adventure. Thx again!