Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 02:36

Plan: Keto diet
Stats: 200/165/160 Male 180
BF:
Progress:
Default Do you think it's good to be no carbs or it's better to stay low carbs ?

Hello guys,

i'm a new member here, and would like to have your opinion about being low carb or no carbs.

i would like to try this for a week or two but don't know if it is the best thing to do.

I would appreciate to have some people opinion about it.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 04:44

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I think there's room for all sorts of approaches. I target a diet with a pretty strict ketogenic ratio, I could probably increase my protein intake if I cut my carbs to zero. But eating the proportion of fat that I aim at becomes a bit harder without large amounts of heavy cream.

Dr. Atkins had the concept of an "effectively zero carbohydrate diet," and I think that's an idea that deserves testing, one old study on people fasting showed feeding people eight grams or so of glucose didn't actually increase glucose metabolism so much as shift it--blood ketones remained high, and gluconeogenesis from protein decreased by about the amount of glucose that the people were taking in--I don't think this shows that somebody taking in ten grams per day of carbohydrate from leafy greens is eating a diet as effectively low in carbohydrate as somebody who is eating no carbohydrate, but it does illustrate that we really don't know the answer to that question--if I eat zero carbohydrate, or ten grams of carbohydrate, will I end up with more glucose in the system, or will I just synthesize a little less glucose? Since I don't know the answer to that question, it comes down to n=1 experimentation--but I think the null hypothesis for me at least is that unless there's an obvious benefit shown in that n=1, I'm probably better off getting some of those nutrients and the increased palatability of the diet that comes with those veggies.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 05:13

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

If you are just starting out try both for a period of time and you make the decision.

What are you trying to accomplish or what is your desired outcome for trying either, obviously, or not, it's not about loosing a bunch of weight

Did you read about "Keto" somewhere on Reddit? What brings you here to ask such a question? Curious... Thank you for your thoughtful reply!

-thud
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 09:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleiko
Hello guys,

i'm a new member here, and would like to have your opinion about being low carb or no carbs.

i would like to try this for a week or two but don't know if it is the best thing to do.

I would appreciate to have some people opinion about it.

Thanks,

For the vast majority of people keto is fine. No/low is pretty much the same as long as low <20g. Have fun.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 12:18

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I've tried going zero carb and I get peckish... adding some salad greens fixes that right up. Though they have barely any carbs.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 16:33

BF:
Progress:

I have read about docteur shawn baker on twitter who had a months on zero carbs and feel awesome. So I was curious about it and wanna know if there is some benefits or not. I mean if there is no benefits why going no carbs. And sorry if it's curious I'm just asking to know more because I'm not an expert
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 16:39

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

If somebody goes zero carbs and does better, a good test might be to add a couple of sugar cubes a day, and see if that keeps them from getting the benefits--besides being stricter carbohydrate control, it's also an elimination diet, there are all sorts of things in plants besides carbohydrate that a person might have sensitivity to.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 20:07

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleiko
I have read about docteur shawn baker on twitter who had a months on zero carbs and feel awesome. So I was curious about it and wanna know if there is some benefits or not. I mean if there is no benefits why going no carbs. And sorry if it's curious I'm just asking to know more because I'm not an expert

Dr. Shawn Baker Twiter: https://twitter.com/sbakermd?lang=en

No problem being curious, I was curious to see where you are coming from. Benefits to "No Carb"? Well fasting is No Carb - So is eating 100 percent fat I guess. Eat too much meat and you'll get some converted sugar I guess. How much meat is too much? I don't know. Is there a benefit to eating No Carb? I guess if your goal is to avoid carbs it works pertty good. I eat like that sometimes, below is plate 2 of 3 from a good buffet I go to... the Carrot on top is kind of like a little joke

BTW, Welcome to the forum too! I'd experiment with both ways of eating and see if you find any benefit from either. Keep following Dr. Baker, he sounds like a fun dood!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 02:21

BF:
Progress:

Thank you nice plate !
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 05:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I have heard of people who do really well on it when they still have issues even after going low carb. Like one lady who lost the weight and gained the energy, but was battling craving for sweet. She was mowing through the sugar free jello and didn't want to deal with it anymore, and found that zero carb stopped it.

No harm in trying. I did