Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-06-17, 14:54

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%
Default Carbs and chronic fatigue

My daughter is 25 and has been strugglng with fatigue, social anxiety, and sensory issues for years but the fatigue is her biggest hurdle at the moment. She dropped out of school in Dec. of '16 and while she does work at a store nearby and plans to go back to school in the fall, she still is very limited in how much she can reasonably do in a day and she gets up really late each day.

She went to a keto-minded doctor who ran a full chemical analysis of her hormones and everything and while he did put her on Armour thyroid and said she had adrenal fatigue she underwent the supplement regimen he put her on but it helped very little, if at all.

Our internist concurred with his finding that she needs thyroid but she is now also going to a psychiatrist for SSRI medication.

She started putting on weight but has only gone from a size three to a five or nearly a seven. And yet, she looks too heavy for her frame.

I am not concerned about helping her lose weight. She doesn't care so I'm not getting in the middle of that. Instead, I want to help her deal with the fatigue. So, here"s question:

She does eat too many carbs but I thought that when you react badly to carbs, you experience a rush of energy or well being before you crash. She just eats her breakfast cereal and goes back to bed. Does that variation still sound like it's just an unhealthy diet or some other issue at play?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-06-17, 23:42
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Reactive hypoglycemia? Checked blood sugars? Meters are cheap -- almost free these days.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-07-17, 07:25

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

We have a sub-forum on CFS and Fibro...maybe some ideas in there? With CFS, and both really, there is some focus on gut health now.

New study just this past week, specific bacteria identified:
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_rele...s-cfs042117.php

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, May-07-17 at 14:58.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-07-17, 10:54
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

If I ate sugared cereal with milk (sugar), I'd go straight to sleep. For me, it acts like a drug. Maybe the carbs are doing her in. Fatigue that can't be cured by sleep.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-07-17, 11:01

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

High carb meals used to knock me out too. I often needed to go back to sleep after I ate breakfast.

Jean
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-07-17, 19:06

I meant to say that the first doctor checked her blood sugar and it was perfect. I had checked her when she was really down, as well. Never any high or low numbers.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-07-17, 19:07

I forgot to look for a sub forum. Thanks.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-07-17, 19:10

Do you have diabetes?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-07-17, 19:11

Do people who don't have diabetes get this reaction?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-07-17, 19:48
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I have normal blood sugar and am not diabetic.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-08-17, 05:48

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
I meant to say that the first doctor checked her blood sugar and it was perfect.
Sugar knocks me out and my blood sugar has always been perfect. I have a reaction not detected by the standard blood glucose test. Chromium GTF seemed to help some in preventing the crash.

It's good you have a diagnosis of adrenal fatigue. I believe that's what I had (self diagnosed via internet so take it with a grain of salt). Is she still on the regimen that the doctor who diagnosed that prescribed? I can tell you I needed probiotics, vitamins, and minerals - lots of minerals. Magnesium (Mag taurine), iodine, potassium, and selenium all helped me get back to normal. I've been feeling so great lately that I've been lax in my supplementing and I'm getting weird cravings. Also, for some reason when I was at my worst, coconut oil helped too.

I'm sorry your daughter is going through this. I hope my experience can help.

ETA: I left out Ubiquinol (a form of CoQ10) - that has been amazing for me! Better than a cup of coffee for energy. In terms of straight energy (as opposed to healing), the Ubiquinol has been the biggest boost. I did get a two day headache when I began the Ubiquinol (and one other supplement - the iodine, I think). The internet tells me that's a detox reaction. I believe it.

Last edited by tess9132 : Mon, May-08-17 at 06:06.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-08-17, 08:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/175/155 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Google SSRI and thyroid-these meds further reduce thyroid function. Depression (along with high cholesterol) is a major red flag for low thyroid. If it were me-I'd give the Armour 6-8 weeks and see how I was doing and think long and hard about the SSRI-does that prescribing doctor know about the thyroid diagnosis and treatment?
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-08-17, 10:33

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

If you accept the new study linked above that gut bacteria influences CFS, just received email that one of those on-line summits starts today, this all about the MIcrobiome. One speaker covers CFS specifically, others mood, etc.
http://microbiomemedicinesummit.com...=perlmutter2015
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-09-17, 11:43

She has been taking the Armour since Dec. 2015. With both meds on board, her thyroid is being monitored. I firmly believe this is largely diet based.