Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-17, 04:03

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Wahls Protocol Cookbook

I just bought the Wahl's Protocol Cooking for Life cookbook. Since i cannot eat eggs or dairy I find most low carb cookbooks and recipes close to useless but the Wahl's Protocol avoids these foods along with soy and grains. It's low carb but maybe not as severely low carb as some people follow. All in all it is a beautiful cookbook, great photographs, carefully thought out recipes and NO EGGS or DAIRY! I've been waiting a long time for a book like this. She even tells you how to modify the recipes for the 3 levels of her plan. Her Paleo Plus plan, the strictest level, is also the lowest in carbs and corresponds pretty much to how I eat.

Jean
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-17, 04:44

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Thanks for the positive review. Our library has it on order, will check it out. Maria Emmerich's new Ketogenic Cleanse Cookbook is all dairy and nut-free, but includes some eggs. And DietDoctor's new dairy-free recipe filter has quite a few recipes too.
Dr Wahl's book sounds good for many of us.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-17, 04:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Thanks for the positive review. Our library has it on order, will check it out. Maria Emmerich's new Ketogenic Cleanse Cookbook is all dairy and nut-free, but includes some eggs. And DietDoctor's new dairy-free recipe filter has quite a few recipes too.
Dr Wahl's book sounds good for many of us.

The strict avoidance of eggs along with dairy is what makes this cookbook so useful for me. It's also what makes the Wahl's Protocol useful for me. I'll check out dietdoctor again. Maybe I've been missing something but there don't seem to be many recipes that have no dairy and no eggs.

Jean
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-17, 05:06

BF:

I'll also add that Dr Wahls's has written a great introduction to the cookbook for those whose interest lies in optimal health along with weight loss, if that is an issue. She also has a well thought out discussion of orthorexia making a distinction between sticking carefully to an eating plan and becoming obsessive about it.

Jean
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-17, 05:14

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I'd be interested in the discussion of orthorexia. I have begun to turn away from obsessive thinking about the food I eat to a feeling more like "meh" I like to eat but it seems more like a biologic function that I now have a decent way to observe and manage.

My food is much less pretty now and exotic, it's just basically, well simple food That for that word Jean, I I'll look it up and have not heard of it before.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-17, 13:59

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

i'm also looking forward to looking at dr. wahls' new cookbook. i think i'm #10 on the library waitlist, so it might be a couple of months before i see it.

one of the amazon reviews seemed a bit discouraging, saying that it was more for people who are new to paleo eating.

i like that it's supposed to focus on simple, normal ingredients and that the recipes are supposed to be fast and easy! when you have to cook every single thing that you eat, from scratch, fast and easy are really important. also very excited about a cookbook that is keto, no dairy!

The blurb about orthorexia is on google book's website. scroll to page 21. https://books.google.ca/books?id=NX...ookbook&f=false

as somebody with an autoimmune, i have to be really careful about what i eat, or i end up in crippling pain. is that orthorexia, or a just really horribly damaged food supply? i haven't eaten at a restaurant or even food prepared at anyone else's home for at least 5 years because of repeated incidents where i ended up in pain because people don't understand cross contamination or that butter is dairy, or etc.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-17, 14:43

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnut
also very excited about a cookbook that is keto, no dairy
I agree. Many paleo cookbooks are moderate to high carb with lots of tubers and nightshade vegetables that we with autoimmune reactions need to avoid.

"Orthorexia" is defined as an obsession with eating only the foods one considers healthy (usually "diagnosed" by those around you). But I don't consider avoiding foods that cause me to burst out in hives, wheezing, migraines or joint pain (within 5-60 minutes) to be an obsession or psychiatric disorder (though I do acknowledge that someone without any symptoms, just obsessively limiting foods, could have orthorexia).

Last edited by deirdra : Thu, Apr-06-17 at 14:52.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-17, 15:15

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I'll take orthorexia over "everything in moderation," the most common of the eating disorders.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-17, 15:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnut
i'm also looking forward to looking at dr. wahls' new cookbook. i think i'm #10 on the library waitlist, so it might be a couple of months before i see it.

one of the amazon reviews seemed a bit discouraging, saying that it was more for people who are new to paleo eating.

I've been eating paleo for over a decade and I really like the cookbook. I saw that review on Amazon too but I don't agree with it.

I don't eat out and am excessively careful about what I put in my mouth, no grains, no dairy, no soy or other legumes, no eggs and no chicken for over 5 years but that's because I get severe intestinal issues if I eat those thing. I think that's only smart. I think it is less about how restrictive you are given your individual needs and more about how crazy you are making yourself in putting the necessary restriction into practice. Orthorexia is not reasonable restriction to prevent illness.

Jean
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-17, 14:17

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Jean,
This a great Cookbook, I like the simple recipes and three levels of strictness for each. A good number of cereal and porridge if you miss that morning meal option.

I was catching up with old podcasts and heard Dr. Wahl's talk about this book and say at the end she has a number of new trials, inc. one being done by other researchers. If anyone has MS, these would be good opportunities to help advance her research and to get the best advice.
http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/...wahls-protocol/