Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-11, 09:09

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Maintenance is not a diet, it's a lifestyle

An interesting article from The Huffington Post, and one which I feel is relevant to maintainers.

I agree with his take on calling it a lifestyle if you want to maintain your ideal weight, and the fact that you need to change your eating habits. As I've said in previous posts, IMO, too many people tend to view dieting as a means to an end, rather than look at it as a permanent change of lifestyle.

I also like his diet tips, though perhaps he should have titled them Lifestyle Tips! But as he says, why eat something if it doesn't work for you?

Quote:
Thelonious Johnson
Certified Personal Trainer in New York City
known for his work with Anderson Cooper

Diet: The Building Block For Fitness

Hello everyone! Being that this is my first post, I thought I should start with most important topic, which is diet. To me, the letters in the word diet stand for "death involving eating trends." OK, maybe that's a little harsh! There are so many diet trends out there, how could you possibly pick one? The fact of the matter is, there is no such thing as a diet if you want to maintain your ideal weight, look your best and feel great. It is called a lifestyle. You need to be consistent on the diet you choose and make it work with your life.

The first thing that I would do, is watch the documentary "Food Inc.," and if that doesn't change your mind about what you're putting into your body, then I would recommend you watch the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead," and if you still don't have the urge to change your eating habits, then I would stop reading this post and go enjoy your migraines, lack of energy, rashes, low-functioning immune system and eternal one-piece swimsuit. Man, I'm being a little brutal...but changing your eating habits will change your life!

Now I don't want you to think that I don't enjoy my share of naughty food. The difference is when I do eat something "bad," I make sure it's organic and I make sure I step up my workout the next day. I'm not saying that you have to be as workout-obsessed as me. It can be as simple as going for a long walk after dinner. You'll be surprised on how much better that will make you feel!

Let me tell you about another pet peeve that I have. When I put a client or friend on a diet and they are not losing weight, but insist that they are following it to a T. Lying to me about what you eat doesn't affect me. It makes you look silly, and you are only lying to yourself. I promise that you are not the only person in world that will follow this eating plan and not lose weight!

If you find yourself looking for motivation to workout, look better, eat better and just feel better, do yourself a favor and read some articles about some third-world countries and see how their day-to-day life is. So stop complaining that it's so hard to get healthy and stay motivated. It's time for everyone to make a difference in this world the best they can! I know we all get into slumps and feel bad some days. We are human.. When I'm feeling a little down on myself, I just look at what some people have to endure around the world and say, "life is not that bad! Now what can I do to help?" I would recommend picking a charity and running a 5K for your charity of choice. It's a start and you'll feel great!

Now, time for some diet tips! What I find works the best is to get yourself a carb chart that tells you every digestible carb in every food that's out there. If you are trying to lose weight, try to eat a minimum of five times a day. The ideal would be five meals a day. Using your carb chart, create meals that only have 10 grams of carbs per meal. For example a medium banana has 25 grams of carbs. As for a half-cup of strawberries, that only has three-and-a-half grams. Another example would be one cup of spinach has 0.6 grams of carbs, so you can have huge salad with 10 cups of spinach and your choice of lean protein on top, and you will only be eating six grams of carbs. Follow this plan until you get to your desired body weight, then you can start adding back some carbs, until you find what works best for you! There are many other options. You have to keep in mind that everyone is different and some foods work for some people and not for others. You just have to be conscious about how different foods make you feel. If you are always gassy, have phlem build up, get sick a lot and always feel tired, it's definitely time for a change in your eating habits!

I'm going to leave you with my favorite word these days: organic!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thelo...s_b_914504.html
Sponsored Links