Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-11, 09:08

Plan: Atkins Pre-Maintenance
Stats: 215/134.8/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Do any of you maintainers eat grains?

Do you eat them with any regularity? Like oats for breakfast? or as a filler in your meatballs/loaf? Do you think of corn as a grain?

In trying to forsee the future of my own path I'm wondering if sucessful maintainers steer clear of all the grains for the duration?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-11, 09:19
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceGirl28
Do you eat them with any regularity? Like oats for breakfast? or as a filler in your meatballs/loaf? Do you think of corn as a grain?

In trying to forsee the future of my own path I'm wondering if sucessful maintainers steer clear of all the grains for the duration?

I do eat a small amount of grain as part of my daily food. I like a slice of Ezekiel toast with my soft boiled eggs....
I also eat Wasa Rye crispbreads as a snack sometimes.
I do consider corn a grain and will sometimes have corn on the cobb when I get it fresh from the farmer. I also eat popped corn.
I'd like to eat more oatmeal but just have not incorporated it...yet.
I do not use filler in any chopped meats as I just don't think that its necessary. Chopped onion garlic and spices are enough for me.

I realize that there seems to be a lot of pressure to not eat grains here in this community...but I do what works or me.

Last edited by Judynyc : Mon, Jun-06-11 at 14:54. Reason: popped..not pooped...oy
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-11, 09:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm not quite in maintenance yet, getting close! But I will answer this question.

No grains. With the rare exception of rice or corn -- ultra rare. I don't think they're good for me. Too many issues with controlling my blood sugar, weight and they make me feel like poo.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-11, 11:16

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

No grains for me either; wheat and I are definitely not compatible! I also consider corn a grain.

As for fillers, I find that finely chopped mushroom make a brilliant substitute.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-11, 14:25
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

There's no question corn is a grain. It is a cereal grain, which doesn't really have anything to do with breakfast, but more to do with being the fruit from grass plants. Corn is a grass... one that has been weirdly mutated from it's lowly origins, but a grass nonetheless.

Quote:
Cereals, grains, or cereal grains are grasses (members of the monocot families Poaceae or Gramineae)[1] cultivated for the edible components of their fruit seeds (botanically, a type of fruit called a caryopsis): the endosperm, germ, and bran.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-11, 23:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

a couple times a week...steel cut oats ( winter MAYBE once a month for 3 months)...sandwich thins( whole grain)...farm fresh corn on the cobb( summer only less than once a month)...
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-11, 00:05

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Corn on the cob once in-a-while in season, sprouted grain bread occasionally. I've not uncovered any issues with gluten and I'm in maintenance, so I occasionally eat SOME of things that I won't go back to eating regularly, like bread!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-11, 08:06
Attitude is a Choice

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one around here who does eat some grain!!
I was feeling like a criminal!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-11, 10:20

Plan: Atkins Pre-Maintenance
Stats: 215/134.8/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

I felt criminal asking LOL
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-11, 10:26

BF:
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonahsafta
a couple times a week...steel cut oats ( winter MAYBE once a month for 3 months)...sandwich thins( whole grain)...farm fresh corn on the cobb( summer only less than once a month)...

Ok the sandwich thins may have to be limited...not satisfying and if I have them without a lot of protein...Im still hungry..
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-11, 10:34

Plan: THM
Stats: 272/216/137 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I am doing Protein Power, which is less specific about where your carbs come from, compared to some of the other plans. I found that Sara Lee makes a '45 calories and delightful' thin sliced 100% whole wheat bread that has 5 net carbs per slice. I have a slice every so often - definitely not daily, but maybe 3x a week? I've been at this three weeks and I'm down 12.5 pounds, so I'm considering it to be OK for me at this time.

My vision for all of this is that after I reach my healthy, appropriate weight, it's important to have adequate protein each day, lots of low carb vegetables, some low carb fruits, some whole grains (but not a lot) and to stay away from sweets, sugary items and that sort of thing.

For example, I don't think I can go back to eating cereal and milk for breakfast - not enough protein and too much carb. But an egg or two, some of my thin sliced toast and a bit of canteloupe perhaps. I intend to add back potatoes at some point, but a small baked potato on occasion, not fries at a fast food place. Juice? no. But maybe some orange wedges now and then, or apple slices with peanut butter. But that is my vision - and my body and my experience will tell me what the reality is as I go along.

As for grains, I really don't care for oatmeal, and never have, but I like granola (which is probably too sweet anyway). I do prefer the flavor and texture of whole grain things - brown rice, whole grain breads, quinoa, etc., so I can see those coming back, but in small amounts.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-11, 10:40

BF:

Judy..abt the Ezekial bread.....is it filling....2. How do you keep the loaf from going bad if you dont eat much of it..?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-11, 10:58

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one around here who does eat some grain!!
I was feeling like a criminal!!
No need to feel like a criminal. Obviously you can handle eating grains, but, unfortunately, some of us can't. I know that if I was to eat bread, I wouldn't be able to stop. I do eat oats very occasionally though and it doesn't seem to have the same effect.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-11, 11:28
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonahsafta
Judy..abt the Ezekial bread.....is it filling....2. How do you keep the loaf from going bad if you dont eat much of it..?

Its very filling when eaten with the fat of the yokes or with a nut butter. Its sprouted grain and flourless. Its kept frozen so it stays for a long time.
I use a few slices per week. One loaf lasts a few weeks for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
No need to feel like a criminal. Obviously you can handle eating grains, but, unfortunately, some of us can't. I know that if I was to eat bread, I wouldn't be able to stop. I do eat oats very occasionally though and it doesn't seem to have the same effect.

Thank you!!
I think that my choice of the kind of process( sprouted whole grain and flourless) used to make the Ezekiel gives me an advantage.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-11, 19:57

BF:

Judy..I asked my husband to pick up the Ezekial Bread on his way home tomorrow ( Trader Joes Is on his way home)..thank you....Ill use it in a protein rich sandwich...and Il freeze it...