Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 19:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%
Default Best Reaction to Weight Loss

What reaction to your weight loss( from friends, familiy or strangers) is your favorite?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 20:27

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 72%

I had an old customer ask my boss (while I was sitting there) "where is the fat girl that used to work here"

Needless to say I'm the only girl who worked there. He was so embarrassed but I was truly flattered.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 20:33

BF:

I love that..I dont think we realize how much we change our appearance when we lose wt!!! Congrats!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-16-11, 11:34
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

my DH overheard a guy commenting on my weight loss- going on and on in a sort of inappropriate way. We left, and talked about it. DH was not happy with the other guy giving me that kind of attention. He then told me "you know why I haven't made such a big deal about your wight loss? I thought you looked great before and I never wanted you to feel bad about how you looked or think I didn't think you were beautiful. But, you look MUCH better now!" It was very touching that he had thought this all through. He totally supported me and still supports me on LC, and shows me every day that he thinks I'm beautiful.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-17-11, 13:54

BF:

Eno...awwwwwwwwwwwww

My little grandson saw me for the first time in 6 month..I mentioned to his Dad that I had lost 20 lbs....my grandson pipes up.." I noticed...but I was afraid to say it" ROFL
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-17-11, 15:20

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I had a co-worker who blurted out "You lost a ton of weight!"

I wasn't offended; it was about 70 pounds, which is not a TON, but is considerable.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-17-11, 20:49

BF:

WereBear.....a ton is 70 lbs in most peoples equation!!! Congrats
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-18-11, 08:09
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Lets see, I had one woman look me up and down and say right to my face, you must've had weight loss surgery. I asked her if she'd like proof that I didn't have it. I was ready to pull up my top and display my tummy with no scars on it.

I've had people who would never speak to me or look at me prior, talk to me as an equal after I lost it, even being friendly towards me after. That oone really pissed me off.

I've had people, who knew me well, literally walk past me on the street as they truly did not know me after.

Lately though, its been 5.5 yrs now, many people have forgotten what it is that I looked like back then. I haven't....but I'm glad that others have.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-18-11, 09:10

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 208/170.2/170 Male 70 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc

I've had people, who knew me well, literally walk past me on the street as they truly did not know me after.

Lately though, its been 5.5 yrs now, many people have forgotten what it is that I looked like back then. I haven't....but I'm glad that others have.

Yes that will happen quickly. Those we see day to day adjust and forget about it. To me, when those compliments quit coming, I have to find other motivations to take their place. Like this forum.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-18-11, 17:07

BF:

Judy...it is sad how overweight people are marginalized...
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-18-11, 17:39
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 174/156/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 41%

My very timid 14 year old son wants to start doing Atkins because he can "notice the change"... that makes me smile
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-18-11, 19:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrita
My very timid 14 year old son wants to start doing Atkins because he can "notice the change"... that makes me smile

that makes me smile too
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 07:33

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
It's been more than 15 years since my major weight loss (50 lbs.). Nobody remembers me fat. But I remember every day, because every day I have to make the choices that maintain the appearance and the health I prefer.

When you've been a "normal" weight for a while, you lose your "evangelical" edge. People think you're just naturally the way you are, and don't realize how much work it is to stay that way. Except on a forum like this, it's no use trying to help.

I think that's one of the major challenges of dietary transformation. Most people simply can't or won't commit to forever.

Best wishes to us!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 08:20
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
It's been more than 15 years since my major weight loss (50 lbs.). Nobody remembers me fat. But I remember every day, because every day I have to make the choices that maintain the appearance and the health I prefer.

Yes Barbara! I feel the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara
When you've been a "normal" weight for a while, you lose your "evangelical" edge. People think you're just naturally the way you are, and don't realize how much work it is to stay that way. Except on a forum like this, it's no use trying to help.

I think that's one of the major challenges of dietary transformation. Most people simply can't or won't commit to forever.

Best wishes to us!

I find that even here, my energy to help others was waned tremendously. I was so gung ho at first, I was ready to help everyone make this happen. Over time, it has become an effort for me, sorry to say.
Yes, most people either won't or can't commit to changing the way they eat forvever. It gets really old hearing all the whining and complaining and then no action is taken. I wanna scream "JUST DO IT!"
I know that I was one of those people for many, many years. Me? change the way I eat? Never! I just need to go on a diet'!

I also knew that if and when I did ever lose the weight, finally, that I'd work hard to never regain. So far, that is what has happened for me.

Yes, thanks Barbara, best wishes to us!!

Last edited by Judynyc : Mon, May-23-11 at 08:53. Reason: typos
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 08:52

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
I find that even here, my energy to help others was waned tremendously. I was so gung ho at first, I was ready to help everyone make this happen.
Well, you certainly help ME, so stick around.

I have several danger signals that I'm about to go off track:
--I stop weighing every day.
--I stop visiting this Forum every day.
--I stop reading my low-carb bibles (you know what I'm talkin' about)

So, this place isn't really about helping others. It's about helping myself.