Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 08:10

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question I Got sick from first reward meal!!!!!!!!!

Help! Has this happened to anyone else? I have been on the Atkins for about 3 weeks........never cheated at all.........as of yesterday, I switched gears to CALP. I had a tiny piece of chocolate cake with icing for my reward desert within the 60 min. period.
I was sick all not long from that piece of cake . My stomach was TORN UP!!!!!! Do you think it is because my stomach had not had any sugar, like that, in it for over 3 weeks? I can't remember when my stomach hurt me so badly. I didn't get an hour of sleep!
Any suggestions or comments would be appreciative.
Thanking you in Advance!
Jo Ann In TEXAS
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 08:15

Plan: Zone
Stats: 165/163/145
BF:
Unhappy Reward meal...

So sorry you got sick-what a bummer! I haven't had this happen, but I didn't start with Atkins. I think you're probably right about your stomach not being used to the sugar. I have noticed in the past that when I "fall off the wagon" my stomach is upset for a while-I always assumed because I was unaccustomed to eating so many carbs. Hang in there and try adding different carbs at your reward meal (bread, potatoes, pasta) before jumping to the super-sweet if it upsets your stomach. I bet it won't take long before you can ENJOY chocolate at your RM! Good luck!

-animaldoc
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 08:42

BF:
Default YOU CAN BE ASSURED!!!!!!!!!!

Animal Doc..............that I will leave the Chocolate alone for a good while! It was only a very tiny piece! LOL LOL

I have to get my reward meal better planned out, I can see that! Do you find it difficult to decide what you will eat for that meal?

If anyone could give me some examples of what a proper reward meal would be..................I SURE WOULD APPREICATE IT!

Jo Ann in TEXAS

Last edited by JoAnnAtkin : Thu, Jan-24-02 at 08:53.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 09:15

Plan: Zone
Stats: 165/163/145
BF:
Smile Reward meal

I tend to not have too much trouble since I love to eat! (ha!)

I also have a very sweet, but THIN husband who is trying to GAIN weight (had to marry someone with a tapworm didn't I?). I'm on CAD and not CALP since it worked for me before, so I don't always eat salad before dinner. Last night we had a roasted chicken (from the grocery store), mashed potatoes, green beans and gravy. I munched on some cheese and crackers while cooking (that started the 60 minutes). We eat any number of things for dinner-tacos, sloppy joes, pasta, stews and soups, salmon steaks etc. We eat out more than we should for our wallets because of our crazy lifestyle (both veterinarians!). Even the occasional McDonald's.

I was lucky enough to have a mom who was a home ec major, so our meals were always pretty balanced at home. Each dinner had protein, starch (carbs) and a green veggie. I still plan my meals that way at dinner. Pot roast, noodles and broccoli; 16-bean soup with salad; salmon steaks, spinach, cucumbers and vinegar, potatoes. I try to make some low-carb things that I can take to work the next day for lunch.

Hope this helps a little!
-animaldoc
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 07:03

Plan: cad/calp
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default for menus

In the back of the books,they all list reward meals. I take the menu and substitute the things I like. for example , the large salad (you must have or substitute 1 c. only of another green veggie,no more and still eat the othet green veggie listed or your own from the list. Say for instance , they have lamb( I may have beef of somekind) They list a starch like roll,potato or something from that group. Then you chose what you like from that group. and dessert the same way. If you have dessert ,sub something equal to what they have listed.I also find it helps to make out menus at least for the week If not for the month. That way it is easier to prepare you're meals and stick to your diet. Hope this helps. I also got very sick on night while I was on Atkins. I think anytime you drastically change you're eating habits when on any diet you will get ill at least once until your body adjusts to the change. Wawtigress
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 08:30

BF:
Default WAWTIGRESS........................

thank you so much for your suggestions. I am reading the books now, but I am not too quick with my reading.

I hope this CALP works for me. I need something I can live with for the rest of my life!

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 18:14

BF:
Default Reward Meal has made me sick again!!!!!!!!

This is the second day that I have gotten so sick from eating a sweet during my reward meal? I cannot understand why this is happening to me? Unless, my stomach just can't take the sweets and then they sour during the night. I was in the bed all day long with an awful sour stomach!

Any suggestions? I am afraid to try any deserts again. The last one I tried was a very tiny bowl of blackberry cobbler. And it really did me in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 05:59

Plan: cad/calp
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Puzzled

I would check with my doctor . Never heard about sweets making anyone sick unless they gourged on them and you have only eaten a small piece. So that's a different story. Hope you get okay.Wawtigress