Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 15:50
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 207/200/180 Male 170 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally posted by Spang
Have you tried looking for diabetic related food?

Thanks for the suggestion, and I have. There are no such shelves in our groceries here any more. I was happy today, to find sugarfree peanut butter at a little local Oriental grocery shop. Made my day! I'm entering every shop I can see selling food nowadays, to see if maybe they have some sugar free things. My hint for today was a shop located where lots of seniors lives, but no catch there either. The food market in Sweden are ruled by two big companies and no matter what shop you enter - they sell the same stuff. It's too bad really, but the truth. That's why I try to visit those special shops instead (I live in a small city, too...).
Quote:

Montignac talks less about nneding fat free / low fat foods - I've always been fine with cheese of any type, and I drink fat free milk just out of personal preference (and a lot of it!)

And this is the way I have interpreted him as well. He talks about low fat food in the morning, no fat in the evening etc. I also drank fat free milk while doing Montignac.

Quote:

try and see if you can get acceptable alternatives to things like bread - eat rye, pasta - get soy / quinoa / wholewheat pasta, rice - eat brown basmatic or wild rice. eat a little of these with a lot of vegetables / protein.

I'm sorry, but this did not work for me - I stalled and even started to gain weight. I realized that if I would continue to loose weight I had to reduce the carbs even more. It was than I started to surf for other - more low carb oriented - diets. I am pretty sure I can eat like that during maintance, but not as long as I want to loose weight. I may be too impatience, but I do want to see some result of my tryings. I'm loosing about 0.75 kg/week (1,5 pounds?) which I think is a pretty good rate. I'm the kind of person that if I start doing something - I do it to 200%! I think we all are different and different plans works on different people.

Quote:
Good luck on whatever plan you are using!

Thank you! And I still think that Montignac is the way to live for the rest of my life! It's a great theory and I believe in it! I just adjusted it a bit during weight loss!

Regards

--Maria
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 01:21

Plan: New Glucose Revolution (ex Montignacer!)
Stats: 155/125/120
BF:
Progress: 86%

Hi Maria

I'm sorry to hear none of my suggestions helped you

It must be very frustrating for you to have such a limited choice of foods available. I do take it for granted that I have a wide variety of food available close at hand in the US, and in the UK as well.

It sounds like you have very realistic goals on what you expect your average weekly weight loss to be. Assuming you want to lose weight healthily, of course!

But - as your triumph in the sugar free peanut butter shows - its the small successes that keep you going on a day to day basis.

Spang
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 23:30
Registered Member

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 135/125/125 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Any loss yet?

Hi Daneo - I just wanted to check in & see how you are doing. Have you had any results yet?
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 03:04
Registered Member

Plan: montignac
Stats: 140/140/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default re

hello! well i have lost a pound, but i think the real triumph is that i have stayed legal and am feeling good and balanced. i was having eggs for breakfast for a few days after i found it was hard for me to control my toast in the mornings. the jam on it was all natural, but so sweet, and i know montignac says that having bread with some oil in it is not allowed. anyway, it was so tasty, i kept going back for more slices. not so good. i enjoyed eggs with lots of grilled mushrooms for awhile, then noted i get nauseous if i do this more than a couple days in a row. do not know why. i really need carby breakfasts. but overly sweet tastes always cause me to overeat.
i am making myself some all natural muesli and plan to eat that now with some yogurt.
i think the best change i have made is adding some protein to every meal. i am going to start adding some beans to my dinners now.
i think i would have lost more weight, but my husband and i have been under a lot of stress with his work situation, and we have been drinking lots of wine each night to wind down. i promised to stop this tonight.
i have been weaning myself down on espresso strength in my morning coffees. it helps that i just read that schwarzbein calls caffeine metabolically aging. true or not, i do not know, but i think of it and it helps me cut back.
i just love this diet so much, and the first time my weight loss was so fast, this time so incredibly slow. but i am trying to see it as a good thing, because this time it will be permanent.
another thing i am doing is looking at this as a life change, not a quick diet. so if i do have something off plan, i will keep on going, not think i blew it and eat junk food for weeks like i did before. this is quite a step for me, though it seems so logical.
i am also starting to exercise again. i do cardio intervals, and am considering buying the super slow training book. i want to do callanetics twice a week. it is so boring, but really really works! i also want to start yoga, tae bo, and belly dancing. this will really make me feel good to be regularly active.
do you exercise?
thanks for asking about me! hope i did not give too long an answer!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 00:07

BF:

yoga rocks!

I started yoga at tha same time I started montignac - it helps so much.

can't remember if i've mentioned it or not - but you could try a sprinkle of brewer's yeast on your toast!

spang
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 08:17
Registered Member

BF:
Default hello again!

i am still plugging away. i have not lost any more weight, but have not been able stay on the plan entirely. yesterday, we found out my husband will be able to keep his job, so this takes alot of stress away. i have always been a stress eater. plus we have been going to alot of dinners, where huge plates of white rice were served, and there is no polite way not to eat it, here in switzerland, people do not diet, and think the whole concept is pretty weird. they eat tons of potatoes, beer, and cheese and are slim as rails. they always tell me just to eat smaller portions if my weight creeps up, and make me feel like i am just being difficult.
i feel pretty sad to still be so heavy. i had to go out and buy new clothes. but i hope in time if i stick with it, it will happen. it is healthy, and cant go wrong with that!
my friend is discouraging me, saying that the same diet cannot work twice. i hope this is not true!
hope everyone else is doing well.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 12:07

BF:
Default support for the swiss!

Without offending your discouraging friends - ignore them!

I'm so glad to hear your husband will be able to keep his job, and your lives will be less stressful as a result.

Don't get sad because of your plateau, or lack of apparent progress. Look at it as a challenge and something to look forward too! Have the attitude that you can and will disprove all your friends who think you are crazy for trying to improve your diet! There is nothing better than looking someone in the eye, smiling, and saying, "I told you so!"

Where on earth is your friend getting information about the same diet not working twice? Is your DNA or metabolism changing between diets so that different foods mean different things? Of course not!

I'm English, so I know all about being polite and eating everything on one's plate (a throwback to the days of rationing). There is nothing polite in forcing yourself to eat foods that you don't want to. If you really feel bad about making a stand for your diet choices, say that you are allergic to the food (i.e. potatoes, rice, beer etc). or have a very little bit of them in comparison to the rest of your meal.

But most of all, please please PLEASE don't feel bad about yourself because other people may laugh at you trying to better yourself.

We are all here to support you however we can.

Spang
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 08:45
Registered Member

BF:
Default re

thanks for the encouraging post! my husband and i are leaving for holidays now. he is from austria and they have perfect montignac food there, fresh grainy breads, fresh skim milk, wonderful salads with pumpkin seed oil, and grilled meats and veggies. i will forgo the cakes and pastries, but do intend to thorougly enjoy a coffee each day. i have started to like the taste of coffee without sweetener, and i can really tell what is good coffee now without it masked by chemicals.
my friend who told me that no diet will work twice is a ctually an anti-diet counselor. she used to diet, and has tried everyone, even interesting ice cream diets that make no sense, now trains people on how bad diets are. one thing is that i really dont see montignac as a diet as it does not involving obsessive counting or hunger, just making a few healthy choices with respect to gi and combination. i honestly eat quite a bit of food. i hate to be hungry, i get very cranky. even though i do really hope to lose some weight eventually.
i sat at a bookstore today and read his diet for women book. he seems to recommend whole milk with protein lipid breakfasts in one part, and then stresses the importance of having skim milk to balance the fat. which do you think is correct?
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 01:06

BF:

I hope you both have a great holiday! Get some good rest and relaxation, and some nice food too.

I know how you feel about getting cranky when you are hungry, I have suffered a lot after I made the switch to Montignac and having 3 meals a day (I used to skip breakfast). I find that a handy supply of things like nuts, some fresh fruit, celery / carrots, or some 70% + cocoa solid chocolate to snack on if I feel the crankyness approach helps a lot.

I can now see where your friend is coming from, as she is an anti diet campaigner. However, in Montignac's 1st book, he is very much an anti diet campaigner too. He strongly disagrees with yo yo dieting, as you always end up worse than you started eventually. This sounds like what your friend is saying too. In my humble opinion, Montignac is not a diet. It is a change in eating habits for good. I like to think I will always be following the Montiganc plan to some extent. This sounds like what you are planning too.

I know you feel annoyed or sad that you are at a plateau. I've just been looking at my stats, and I've been at a plateau for what I realize is about 2 months at least.

I put this down to 3 main things:-
1) I'm getting very close to my goal weight - based on my body mass index. It is always those last 5 - 10 lbs that are the goign to be the hardest to get rid of.
2) I've kicked up my yoga practise to at least 2 sessions a week, which is really helping to tone / build my muscles. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to become body builder size at all - but I have very poor arm strength, and pretty flabby abs too So I see some of the plateau as muscle gain weighing more than fat loss.
3) I've been slipping into Phase 2 of the Montignac, possibly out of boredom with Phase 1. When I started Montiganc, I was very good at only drinking water throughout the day, with some green tea occassionally - and my morning coffee. But i've moved over to drinking more and more fruit juices - which probably cantain WAY too much sugars...

Looking at your stats - youa re very close to your goal weight already. You may be suffering from my 1st point too. It just takes a little more time for those last few bits to go!

Its so good to hear you've weened yourself off sweetner in your coffee. That took me a while to do as well, and it does make a world of difference in the taste. Actually, I've found that many of the foods and drinks I used to consume frequently are now unbearably sweet and tasteless now.

Your final point about the skim milk vs whole milk. I've not read Montgnac's book adapted for women, but one of my main complaints about the Montignac book is that it does tend to be slightly contradictory.

Personally, I drink a lot of milk (in fact, I have a lot of any dairy products - I like to try and get my calcium for other health reasons). I always go for skim milk (fat free) to drink or put on muesli, and semi skim (2%) in my coffee. In America, we have whole milk, 2% milk (semi - skim) and fat free (skim). This is more for personal preference rather than interpretation of the Montignac recommendations. Although I do avoid whole milk to try and cut down a little on the saturated fats.

I had a quick look at the GI list on the mendoza site.

Full fat milk has a GI of 24 and a G load of 3 (an average of 5 readings)
Skim milk has a GI of about 30, and a G load of 4.

So both of them are technically "ok".

Sorry to be vague on that one. I think it would be ok to follow preference on this one.

I'm getting a new book soon, it's not Montignac, but one that was recommended by the mendoza site (http://www.mendosa.com/gidigest.htm). When that arrives, I'll see if it helps to clarify which milk is best.

Sorry for the long post!

Spang
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 02:26
Registered Member

BF:
Default re

thanks for the milk tips. here we have whole milk that tastes like pure cream that almost everyone drinks, but only with coffee, i have never seen anyone in europe have a glass of milk, and then lowfat is 2.7%, and skim milk is so rarely bought, that it can only be found in UHT, which is the kind that has been processed so you can keep it in your closet for months. the taste is not very good. i drink gallons of fresh skim milk whenever i go to countries that have it.
i wonder if i am just being nitpicky over which milk to use. i do have the somersize books, to me she almost directly copied montignac, and her recipes are to die for. she says to use whole cream for protein lipid meals. according to her, if you have one little slip, like regular milk with this meal-something illegal, then the whole meal will be stored as fat. her rules are very precise and must be followed. i find montignac is a bit more relaxed, but maybe that is just because i cannot interpret his rules properly. suzanne says to freely eat cheese and cream, which i dont think is a very good thing. she also encourages to have only a few carb meals a week til you have lost weight, which i do not like.
have you heard of the fat fallayc book? i have just read and liked it. similar to montignac. the author went to france, lost alot of weight eating fatty foods, and wrote a book about it. he says to eat very small meals, absolutely no chemicals of any kind, only natural foods, to prepare things beautifully, and eat super slowly, really appreciating and savoring the food. he encourages full fat products, like whole milk and cheese. it reminded me of the way i ate in france, and i got thin as a rail. he does say that if you are sensitive to the croissants and sugars after years of overeating sugar or dieting, then you should eat only healthy carbs for 2 months to heal you pancreas. sounds like montignac.
anyway, will write again in 2 weeks!
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 02:26
Registered Member

BF:
Default re

thanks for the milk tips. here we have whole milk that tastes like pure cream that almost everyone drinks, but only with coffee, i have never seen anyone in europe have a glass of milk, and then lowfat is 2.7%, and skim milk is so rarely bought, that it can only be found in UHT, which is the kind that has been processed so you can keep it in your closet for months. the taste is not very good. i drink gallons of fresh skim milk whenever i go to countries that have it.
i wonder if i am just being nitpicky over which milk to use. i do have the somersize books, to me she almost directly copied montignac, and her recipes are to die for. she says to use whole cream for protein lipid meals. according to her, if you have one little slip, like regular milk with this meal-something illegal, then the whole meal will be stored as fat. her rules are very precise and must be followed. i find montignac is a bit more relaxed, but maybe that is just because i cannot interpret his rules properly. suzanne says to freely eat cheese and cream, which i dont think is a very good thing. she also encourages to have only a few carb meals a week til you have lost weight, which i do not like.
have you heard of the fat fallayc book? i have just read and liked it. similar to montignac. the author went to france, lost alot of weight eating fatty foods, and wrote a book about it. he says to eat very small meals, absolutely no chemicals of any kind, only natural foods, to prepare things beautifully, and eat super slowly, really appreciating and savoring the food. he encourages full fat products, like whole milk and cheese. it reminded me of the way i ate in france, and i got thin as a rail. he does say that if you are sensitive to the croissants and sugars after years of overeating sugar or dieting, then you should eat only healthy carbs for 2 months to heal you pancreas. sounds like montignac.
anyway, will write again in 2 weeks!