Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-28-17, 13:10
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default Are diet support groups good at this point?

Over the last 2.5 years I went from very fit and healthy to very unfit and fat and somewhat unhealthy.

I have high reverse t3, a thyroid issue where the cell receptors are clogged and it takes 12 weeks to unclog them so my thyroid medication works.

I have been unable to get weight off with diet for 2.5 years, I get very demoralized trying. I'll lose 10lbs of water weight and stagnant from there.

I have 11 weeks left and I should have a normal metabolism again. I see the benefit of lowcarbing without weight loss and I'll be adapted and ready to lose if I stick to the plan from here on out.

How to stay motivated and on track until then?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-28-17, 18:57

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Do you mean real life support groups?

I joined one last year. I haven't lost much regularly until rather recently, which was embarrassing, but everyone seems to be at different places in their journey so nobody judges. My group meeting now is extremely valuable to me. (I take care of my 91 yr old mother, so this is my precious time "away".) Having support of other people with their own challenges and trials helps puts things in perspective, I've found. And for me when I was gaining, having to attend a weekly weigh in helped me not go too far, I think.

If you have the opportunity, I say go for it! This board and some other places on the Web are also support groups as well, depending on how you use them.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-28-17, 23:36
Registered Member

Thanks JLx

I do belong to the in person type. I just think they must I'm hopeless, or not trying or something. Its embaressing to show up every week and not lose. I joined in November.

Thats a good idea to take it as some me time. It seems maintenance must be hard, no big high of losing anymore.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-29-17, 11:51

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

The group I go to is not a TOPS meeting but the people there used to attend TOPS, so it's kind of an offshoot, called The Happy Losers. I've found that I get more out of it the longer I've attended, the more I get involved and the more I get to know people.

It's too bad you have to wait several months to get your thyroid straightened out. Is there nothing you can do in the meantime to get things going?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 05:40

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Many find support in Facebook groups...not really my thing, they are too disorganized for my taste, but through it I know a woman who helps moderate 6 in person groups...at her gym, faith-based in her home, and nutrition classes in a hospital setting. Have no idea where you are but consider all the venues where a supportive group may have formed and find one that suits your personality.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 22:14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
The group I go to is not a TOPS meeting but the people there used to attend TOPS, so it's kind of an offshoot, called The Happy Losers. I've found that I get more out of it the longer I've attended, the more I get involved and the more I get to know people.

It's too bad you have to wait several months to get your thyroid straightened out. Is there nothing you can do in the meantime to get things going?

I'd love to go to a place called the Happy Losers!! It was kind of nice I emailed the TOPS members and got some responses that were encouraging and positive.

Between thyroid issue, physical injuries and recent asthma diagnosis and going on oral steroids, I felt defeated weight loss, nothings stopping me but myself from eating healthy.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 22:22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Many find support in Facebook groups...not really my thing, they are too disorganized for my taste, but through it I know a woman who helps moderate 6 in person groups...at her gym, faith-based in her home, and nutrition classes in a hospital setting. Have no idea where you are but consider all the venues where a supportive group may have formed and find one that suits your personality.

Thats something I hadn't considered. I could definitely stand to broaden my horizons.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-31-17, 06:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/LCHF
Stats: 209/185/185 Male 69
BF:reducing
Progress: 100%

Thyroid doesn't have as much impact on weight as you would think. I've seen people with almost zero thyroid and they only lost 5 pounds with normal thyroid.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-31-17, 08:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm kind of with you on that, VLC.MD. I've done various experiments with my thyroid issues and nothing really seems to change.