Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 10:51
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
hi-
sorry I'm late in posting, but I think this is a really good thread.

I have been doing this WOL for over 7 years, and no one else in my family is LC. When I first started, I sat DH down and asked him if he would support me in what I chose to do with food, and he said yes. I told him the support needed to include not offering me food, not commenting on my food, not complaining about food, allowing me to pick all restaurants for the immediate future, and not bringing food into the house. This was very helpful. I also started when both kids were out of the house for the summer.

I make the same dinner (everyone is on their own for the other meals) for everyone. Don't like it- make your own food but don't bother me about it. I do make a side dish for DH and DS- one I am not interested in. It is usually rice or pasta. I am very happy for them to eat all of that stuff- I don't care about it.

it is also important that I picked a LC plan that allows me to eat any carb I want once a day. So if I want a brownie, I will have ONE. With a dinner that includes a salad, protein, and veggie. Please note I am not on Atkins.

I also buy all the food, so I only buy high carb crap that I don't like- for example, I hate peanut butter icecream- it is easy to find that for DH. I don't want the temptation- why should I have to say no to stuff in my own house? It is hard enough in the outside world! I also will not bring certain food into my home- no juices, no chips, no poptarts, no french fries, no HFCS sweetened foods, no non-diet soda. If it is toxic for me it is toxic for them.

DS moved home and loves to bake. I have asked him to remove the stuff (bring to work, give to DH for his work) after he bakes. I have also encouraged him to cook and to cook dinners that I like and can eat. That has helped too.

DH likes candy- it is mostly at work, and most of the stuff he has here I don't like. It's a lot of very dark chocolate, halava (sesame seed candy) and stuff like that. If I want a piece of chocolate, a very small piece is enough of that for me. Again, I don't want to have to say no all day long.

I have tried to have DH read books or watch stuff online about LC- he is not interested. Recently DS read GCBC and was amazed.

The most important factor, I think, for DH is that I went from a size 16/18 to a size 6/8 eating this crazy way- and if it works don't mess with it. I certainly don't want to change, and he seems to be more interested in my body than in the food I do or do not eat!

hth-
E

Can I just say that I want to be like you when I grow up, Eno!!!
I love your healthy boundaries and the way you set it all up for your long term success.
Sponsored Links