Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-10, 07:19

Plan: CAD
Stats: 235/221.0/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Restarting/Slow Loss!

I lost a great deal of weight on CAD some years ago. I've gained much of it back. I'm back on CAD now and am losing weight but veeery slowly. Since I started back on October 11th, I've lost only 10.5 lbs. That doesn't seem right at all; when I first did CAD I was losing 3-4lbs a day. Now I'm LUCKY if I lose 2. This morning I'm down just .5lb since yesterday.

Does anyone have any advice to jump start me? Maybe a sample menu or a list of total, complete, absolute no-no's?

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-10, 15:02
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
we have lots and lots of posts and menus on the Hour Power threads- lots to read.
It might be better if you tell us what you are eating-
and just know you are not alone in your experience. Lots of other people have found they lost weight so easily the first time, but after that it's slow.
Glad you are here-
please let us help. Tell us MORE about YOU!
E
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-10, 11:02

BF:

Hello there! Thanks for the response. Today I'm down a pound from yesterday's half pound, so I'm feeling slightly better about it. It's hard to get used to this half pound/pound weight loss when it came off so rapidly the first time around.

I'm actually pretty strict in what I eat, and I find that if I eliminate carbs entirely there's really no movement on the scale at all, so I do between about 40-50 (net) a day. Most during my reward meal, of course. The rest usually come from the small amounts found in half and half or an ounce of cheese or an egg or something. I don't go near pasta but will eat carby veggies (broccoli etc) and some fruit (grapes, strawberries) in my pre-dinner salad from time to time. My typical breakfast is 2 eggs (scrambled or overeasy) and maybe some turkey bacon and/or cheese. If I get around to eating lunch (about half the time) it's a small salad with some kind of protein (chicken or steak) or cheese. Dinner is usually a few pieces of chicken (2) or a steak and a vegetable, and maybe a piece of some kind of bread. Typically if the chicken or steak I made involves a sauce I will forego the additional vegetable and just eat the veggies contained in the sauce and have a piece or two of bread with it. For instance, yesterday I threw a few chicken thighs, a can of diced tomatos, a splash of pinor noir, some sliced fresh garlic, salt, pepper, basil, and black olives in the crockpot and had that for dinner with a slice of fresh italian bread. No salad beforehand (I wasn't that hungry and was more in the mood for the chicken than the salad!) and no additional veggie. I also had a cocktail yesterday (vodka) and am still down a pound today. I might have a cocktail or 2 about every other day. If I don't have more than 2 it doesn't seem to affect my loss.

I pretty much only drink coffee, tea, water or seltzer. No diet soda or juices at all.

Seems pretty clean right? I guess I should just get used to a slower loss?

Thanks again!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-10, 15:00
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
your menu is so close to mine it is amazing. Weird even- I have chicken in the oven right now- in a red sauce with garlic and herbs! My RM will be salad, chicken, and bread with the sauce!
I have 2 eggs with turkey bacon and a bit of cheese every morning- and my usual lunch is salad and protein.

I do find that alcohol affects me. When losing I'd stall with a drink or wine. Now I can gain if I drink more than a couple a week.

Have you ever read the "golden shot" theory? You can google it - it was on the first LC bb I ever found. It closed down with lots of drama, but I think the post is still around.

Just hang in thee. How are you feeling?

I saw on another thread that you exercise- me too and Teri is a maniac! I don't think that is slowing you down.

I'm over 50 and have been doing this since 2003. I gained last year with a change in meds, and find I have to just be OP. I'm afraid to go 'off', because I feel so good and know I will regain it all and be sick again.

What happened that you stopped CAD?

E
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-10, 10:20

BF:
Default Down another 1.5 this morning

I have heard of the golden shot but I don't buy it. Bodies change as we age, blah blah blah. I'm 30 now and did CAD for the first time when I was around 22. I've pretty much beat the hell out of myself since then so I really should have expected this. As the title, says, I'm down another 1.5 this morning so things might be looking up in that arena. I just can't tolerate these half pound losses or worse yet, a zero loss. It makes very little sense to me.

I guess I fell off the wagon bc of work, relationship, life, etc.

I actually paused the exercising for a few weeks because I find when I go back on a strict plan, my body takes a few weeks to adjust. I'll be returning to my routine this coming monday.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-07-10, 08:05

BF:
Default Well, that was short lived!

Yesterday, no loss, today, gained a pound. There is no way on god's green earth this could be normal. I'm eating very strictly. In fact, I've been under a tremendous amount of stress this week and have only been managing to eat once, maybe twice a day, and honestly not even that much.

Could I be eating too little?

I need to shave off 23 lbs in the next month. It is my first personal mini goal.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-07-10, 08:55
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
first, 23 pounds in a month is, imho, crazy. This is more like a 1-2lb/wk plan., I lost 25 lbs when I first did CALP- in 4 months. The next 25 lbs took another 7 months. And I thought that was really fast!
I go up and down in a range. But I stay in that range- I'm maintaining. WHen losing it happened too, but the trend was down.
Maybe you are eating too little, I don't know. Are you drinking lots of water?
Have you read the Stress Cure? The Hellers say to eat a Big Breakfast - you can look at some of the posts.

what are you eating? You posted one menu- and that sounded good to me.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-10, 07:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 242/238/168 Female 5` 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hi, I`m very new to this, and was surprized to hear that you could lose upto 5lb a day. Is this really possible and if so .....how
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-10, 07:45

Plan: my own
Stats: 224.8/207/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmx2
Yesterday, no loss, today, gained a pound. There is no way on god's green earth this could be normal. I'm eating very strictly. In fact, I've been under a tremendous amount of stress this week and have only been managing to eat once, maybe twice a day, and honestly not even that much.

Could I be eating too little?

I need to shave off 23 lbs in the next month. It is my first personal mini goal.

you hit the nail on the head when you said stress. i know that it really plays havoc with my weight loss. if i am stressed even if following plan i tend to gain or not drop at all for awhile. hopefully this will change for you and the stress will lift.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-10, 10:46

Plan: CALP & Exercise
Stats: 236/129/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJune
Hi, I`m very new to this, and was surprized to hear that you could lose upto 5lb a day. Is this really possible and if so .....how

No! It is possible to lose weight at a fairly fast pace when beginning this program but it definitely slows down. According to the book, 1-2 lbs. a week is possible.

I have been averaging 1-2 lbs. a month and to be perfectly honest, I am thrilled with my progress. I was grossly overweight for over twenty five years and the steady, slow pace of CALP, and the addition of exercise has allowed my body to tighten up instead of having a lot of loose skin hanging off of me.

When I first began CALP, I could not get myself into a pair of 18W jeans and I am now wearing an 8M. The t-shirts I was wearing were men's XXL and now I am in a woman's M. I have lost over 80 lbs., and I am thrilled with this program since I get to include the foods that I love.

I am 5'3" tall, and I weighed in this morning at 154 lbs. According to the BMI chart, I should weigh between 125 and 140 lbs. Since I have gained a lot of muscle in the two and a half years I have been exercising and following this program, I can fit into smaller clothes than I could when I was at a lower weight many years ago.

I have been guilty in the past of trying to find a quick fix to my weight problem. As a professional dieter, my willpower would work well for me in the beginning, but it would only last me so long. CALP has taught me how to control my insulin levels, and in my case my sweet tooth, without depriving myself of the foods that are restricted on most diets. Because there are no foods that are restricted, I am no longer guided by willpower since there is nothing I can not have.

No matter how much longer it takes me to get my excess weight off, CALP is the plan that I will be following for the rest of my life! The best part about following CALP is since it is my life plan, there is no way I will be gaining the weight again since it has taught me how to eat and be satisfied with my choices!

Best of luck in finding the perfect plan for you too!