Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-10, 06:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction/CALP
Stats: 142/137/125 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

A doctor in the UK (Wheldon protocol) has been keeping his wife's MS in remission for years with it, last I knew. And my husband is doing wonderfully with it; his symptoms have dramatically decreased, though he's on a level that makes him easily tired, this is the first thing that helped, not masked, his problems.

So I think you should listen to your body, and explore other MS options.

WereBear, thank you so much for the links.

In fact, I was on the antibiotics protocol for 3 years. In fact, my neurologist is Dr. Sriram! I did not find the antibiotics made a difference that I could see in my own condition. But I am so glad the protocol is helping your husband!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-10, 06:54
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniMin
Alice, I completely understand how you feel about changing from a vegan diet to a low carb diet. Like you, I read all the books you mentioned plus a few more. I was convinced that the human diet was supposed to be vegan. I went on the McDougall diet and stuck to it religiously. At first I did pretty well on it, once I got used to the gnawing hunger. Each day when I stepped on the scale and it remained the same or went up a pound or two, I told myself to be patient, the diet would work, my body just needed a little more time to adjust. Well, it never did adjust to eating starches and vegetables. Instead I developed reactive hypoglycemia and I never lost a pound.

This is such a great description of what happened to me on the McDougall diet, AnniMin! Believe me, when I go on a diet, I stick to it religiously too. So I kept wondering, why isn't this working for me?

I'm so glad your fibromyalgia got better on low-carb and that you have more energy! That is really great.

Quote:
I still wrestle with the moral/environmental factor of eating animal foods. Those vagan books do a great job of instilling feelings of guilt and fear if you resume a meat based diet.

Yes, yes!

And I'm actually flirting with the "Vegan Atkins" diet, or at least I'm going to try buying my meat from a local humane farm, if I can afford it.

I agree with you that processed food has no place in our diet.

Quote:
Good luck to you as you fine tune your diet. I hope it helps you control your MS symptoms. And have fun as the mother of the bride at your daughter's wedding!

Thank you so much, AnniMin, I appreciate it. And I did have a marvelous time at my daughter's wedding! (And since I had gone back to low-carbing several weeks before the wedding, I looked kind of sleek in my MOTB dress!)
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-10, 07:01

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%

My bowels are permanently damaged from the MS. So, I always struggle with that. I have found that super high fat eating helps.

Also, if I ever eat anything with sugar alcohols, they really clean me out, even better than suppositories. So, if it's been more than 10-12 days, I'll eat a Russell Stover candies (or 3).

On LC, you don't have enough waste to go every day anyway.

Good luck!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-10, 07:33
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks so much, Faduckeggs! I was hoping I'd get some ideas from someone who has the same problem I do. Other people just don't understand.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-10, 18:45

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceAlice
I did not find the antibiotics made a difference that I could see in my own condition. But I am so glad the protocol is helping your husband!

Thank you, and I hope you find something that helps you, too.

I have been reading lately about how the China Study is not nearly as rigorously conducted as it should have been, and then I read a fascinating book called The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Kieth, who ruined her health with many years of vegan eating.

I adore my husband, and that is the closest I can come to understanding how frustrating and terrifying it is to cope with such a chronic illness; and how much we need hope. But there are serious problems with such an eating approach, and I would hate to think you would make a decision that would ultimately undermine your good health efforts.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-10, 12:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Has anyone. Read the vegetarian myth. Jimmy Moore has a pod cast on the arthor too. Vegetarianism isn't so earth friendly as supposed.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-10, 12:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Oops sorry werebear! Just got to thinking about it and posted before I saw your origionl post! Good read tho!