Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 13:47

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%
Talking Metformin

I think Metformin is very beneficial to type 2's who need
to pass more gas.<chuckle>
Other than that,it has worked well for me.
It seems to be safe if you have decent kidney function.
Weight loss?Not sure about that one.
It is inexpensive-low cost gas,at last!
Eddie

Last edited by eddiemcm : Mon, Jul-21-08 at 13:48. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 14:01
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

I hope the metformin works for you! That would be my preference, too.

Why would you need Actos with the insulin? Why not just the insulin? I think it carries the same black box warning as Avandia. Actos made my ankles swell up like softballs every evening. (When I told my doctor my ankles were swelling, did he take me off Actos? Noooooo, he prescribed a water pill )
Actos costs a fortune too, even with insurance my copay was $90.

But I hope you find success with just the met.
Hope you find out what's causing your hives. I have hive outbreaks all the time, too. Have one right now, in fact, on my arms neck and chest from perfume. Some I can wear, some I can't.
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 14:40

Plan: LC
Stats: 248.4/245.4/170 Female 5' 6 "
BF:
Progress: 4%

Yeah, my Doc keeps pretty close checks on my blood work and kidney and liver function. So Also what's very attractive to me is that there are NO HYPOS. Which is what you guys said. So for now I'm set, we'll see what happens.
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 14:47
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm

Maybe the Benefiber will help with that.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 15:06

BF:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty

Why would you need Actos with the insulin? Why not just the insulin? I think it carries the same black box warning as Avandia. Actos made my ankles swell up like softballs every evening. (When I told my doctor my ankles were swelling, did he take me off Actos? Noooooo, he prescribed a water pill )

Well this guy is a Pharmacist PLUS a Doctor, so he wants to push those expensive meds from two angles - DOUBLE KICKBACK. I mean he was nice and all, but money is money. When he was telling me about the Byetta, he actually looked it up to see what my co-pay would be and it would have been $100. This is co-pay, mind you. If he suggests Actos again, I'll pass. If the Metformin doesn't work, I'm passing on all the other stuff pills.

Hope you find out what's causing your hives. I have hive outbreaks all the time, too. Have one right now, in fact, on my arms neck and chest from
perfume. Some I can wear, some I can't.

I've had other outbreaks, very infrequently (probably 4 in my entire life), two of them due to stress. So maybe it was just a coincidence that it happened while I was taking the Met. We'll see. Meanwhile I'll keep the Benydryl handy. I HATE BENYDRYL - that foggy feeling drives me crazy.
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 15:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
Other than that,it has worked well for me.
It seems to be safe if you have decent kidney function.
Weight loss?Not sure about that one.
It is inexpensive-low cost gas,at last!
Eddie

Very funny!! But I think I'll Pass on the Gas. Or maybe I'll pass gas as I go past people in a crowded room - they'll never know for sure, but will always wonder - Pamlynn? Naw.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 07:57

BF:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty

Hope you find out what's causing your hives. I have hive outbreaks all the time, too. Have one right now, in fact, on my arms neck and chest from perfume. Some I can wear, some I can't.

Okay about that Metformin,- I'm breaking out again - ever so s-l-o-w-l-y. Yesterday I had a "bump" on my right shoulder - last night another on my left shoulder plus general itchy-ness on my scalp, arms and hands - and that's it. So calling the Pharma/Doc today. I gave it my best shot - but I'm not even going to take it today. I'll have to be careful what I eat - but have been doing a good job this week - so I should be okay.

About the Actos - I thought about this last night and I think he said to me that he wanted me to take it to cover my meals. But I'm not agreeing to any other drug with a high co-pay. Plus those side-effects - No thanks. I went to the appointment thinking I would take a different kind of insulin for mealtimes adn the Lantus as my basal. Is this what you all do?
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 08:41

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

You can get detailed information on just about any prescription med at www.rxlist.com
Lots of folks have great results covering meals with novolog.
I'm not exactly an expert in the insulin area so anything I
say about the subject should be taken with a grain of salt.
Good luck in this
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 08:51

BF:

Thanks Eddie. I'm real interested in R insulin. Read in Jenny's blog (from MizKitty's post above) how she achieves very good results with this. But she doesn't use anything like Lantus because of the morning hypos she experienced. The Doc/Pharmacist is definitely pushing the Lantus. As you know this is one of my biggest concerns - those darn hypos. Oh well time to do more research.
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 10:11
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Lantus in the correct does doesn't give one hypos if they need it for basal insulin. I have to wonder why it is prescribed to type 2s who make basal insulin. It should never be used to cover food. A fast-acting insulin with meals seems more appropriate for type 2s.
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 10:30

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

As I recall Jenny does not use Lantus because it does not work well for her. Any of us may not get good results from a particular insulin, or it may quit working in the future. Although this is not a real common thing to happen. Lantus and Regular work great for most people.
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 13:17
95% Sugar Free!

BF:

Oh boy, sorry the metformin is breaking you out again. Darn.

Pamlynn, the Metformin was going to be a once a day dose, with nothing needed at mealtimes... why does the doctor think the long-acting insulin won't be used the same? Why need Actos or something at mealtimes? Especially if you are eating low carb.

Besides, Actos is a once-a-day pill, too.

I think I would just try the Lantus first. If low carbing and a daily dose of Lantus aren't enough to keep you from having bad spikes after meals, then you can decide to add something else. But from what you've told us your numbers are already at this point, I doubt if you'll need it.

LCU, long-acting insulin is prescribed to type II's to lower their total average BG. Same as taking pills. Rarely are type II's prescribed or taught to use anything with meals, since most of us do have an insulin response to eating.

Whether that's best practice or not is a whole 'nother topic.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 13:26
Dazed and Confused

BF:

From what I've read on other forums, Lantus is being used to cover food too in type IIs. If you aren't making enough basal insulin, you will have a high fasting FBG. If you are spiking after meals, Lantus is not the insulin you should be using. It boils down to where you are spiking. Unfortunately, type IIs get very little education in insulin usage compared to type 1s.
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 13:31
95% Sugar Free!

BF:

I don't read too many other forums, because those I've seen usually aren't low carb, but I've never heard of using Lantus to cover food.

If not eating low carb, then yeah, you're going to have trouble spiking after meals. But eating low carb is usually enough of a solution to that problem for most type II's.

Of course, they get very little education in that, too.
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 14:25
Dazed and Confused

BF:

The just take a whopping big shot of Lantus and it slowly brings their spikes down instead of taking a little H to cover the spikes before they happen.