Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Dec-10-17, 23:26

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Martin, cumin is cumin in English (and, I take it, French?); curcuma is another version of turmeric, what they say in German, I believe.
Your meal sounds fantastic; much nicer than pasta with anything. I rather miss the "slitheriness" of well buttered pasta, but do admit that the joys of pasta are really the joys of the various sauces. And sauces (and melted butter) can find, and have found, much better paths to my mouth when I am longing for such things.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-17, 08:54

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Steak and mushrooms cooked in (lots for the shrooms, my very own simplest of recipes, just brilliant if I say so myself)) butter in the pan.

My absolute favorite! Had mushrooms in butter with spinach burgers yesterday, with a big salad with my homemade vinaigrette. Very satisfying.

I buy ribeye on sale & stash it in the freezer for special occasions. Our son is graduating from college next week. When he comes home it will be ribeye, mushrooms, and sweet potatoes for dinner.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-17, 10:47

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

What can I say? I still make and eat pasta sauces. Now I just eat 2 or 3 times as much of the SAUCE and skip the pasta!

Or, when we go out with friends to an Italian restaurant for dinner, I've learned to ask "Instead of pasta, could I have this sauce over some lightly steamed vegetables?" I've never been told no.

Typically the cook will plate my selected sauce over a mixture of steamed veggies so that my meal turns out to be more colorful and TASTIER than the pasta version. I've got non-LC friends that now make the same request. IMHO, the PASTA itself is a tasteless "filler." I don't know anybody who would even want to sit down to a plate of pasta without any sauce. But, how many folks will happily spoon up every bit of leftover sauce once the pasta is gone.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-17, 14:37

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
What can I say? I still make and eat pasta sauces. Now I just eat 2 or 3 times as much of the SAUCE and skip the pasta!

Or, when we go out with friends to an Italian restaurant for dinner, I've learned to ask "Instead of pasta, could I have this sauce over some lightly steamed vegetables?" I've never been told no.

Typically the cook will plate my selected sauce over a mixture of steamed veggies so that my meal turns out to be more colorful and TASTIER than the pasta version. I've got non-LC friends that now make the same request. IMHO, the PASTA itself is a tasteless "filler." I don't know anybody who would even want to sit down to a plate of pasta without any sauce. But, how many folks will happily spoon up every bit of leftover sauce once the pasta is gone.

And yet the gourmet pasta places act like it's their handmade pasta that's the real star of the dish. I'd love to see how much they'd sell if they only offered it without sauce, no olive oil, no butter. Let's skip the salt and any other seasonings too, and let the real pasta flavor shine!

Yum... gimme a big bowl of that fancy shaped library paste! NOT!
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-17, 19:00

BF:

I used to make homemade crab ravioli with a saffron butter sauce. It was very tasty, and not just the sauce. DH still asks for it on occasion, but ravioli is a lot of work for something I won't be eating. I haven't figured out yet how to get the same flavors without the pasta pockets holding everything together. Maybe a thin omelette used as a crepe? Might be worth a try.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-17, 19:09

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel

What a great idea! I've avoided going to the new Italian place in town because it seems to be either pasta or bread. But I'm sure they have veggies, too. I'll give it a try, now.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-17, 19:19

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
I used to make homemade crab ravioli with a saffron butter sauce. It was very tasty, and not just the sauce. DH still asks for it on occasion, but ravioli is a lot of work for something I won't be eating. I haven't figured out yet how to get the same flavors without the pasta pockets holding everything together. Maybe a thin omelette used as a crepe? Might be worth a try.

I have found eggs go well with tomato sauce, and I add herbed goat cheese for a cheese ravioli type dish.

Last edited by WereBear : Tue, Dec-12-17 at 06:39.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-17, 20:52

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Went to a new restaurant a few weeks ago.
It occurred to us later...too late that everybody there was filling up on bottles of wine, carbie appetizers, pasta, pizza crusts and bread baskets.
We only wanted a couple of entrees.
The lamp chops were so thin I couldn't believe my eyes, DH salmon was a child size portion and both entrees with a big mound of cold starchy couscous and 4 rawish green beans each and two watery side salads that were extra and came without dressing so we had to flag down someone for some dressing..
I don't want to say what the bill was but I know I only had about 3oz of meat on those chops, don't eat couscous-good or bad and raw green beans...UH NO.
We both left hungry and went to the store to pick up some deli soup.
We discussed that all of those eating there were filling up on nothing but carbs.....
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Dec-12-17, 02:41
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Counterpoint to her pasta and taters.

Saturday, we had a nice dinner for four at my mom's. Steak, salad, mushrooms and wine. Simple and boring? You bet, but oh so wonderfully tasty. Steak and mushrooms cooked in (lots for the shrooms, my very own simplest of recipes, just brilliant if I say so myself)) butter in the pan. A bit of cumin (don't know the English name, is it curcuma or something like that?) and salt for the mushrooms, just salt for the steak. Salad with lots of avocados, I think Boston lettuce, a somewhat mild but tangy vinaigrette, and bits of some kind of sausage. The steaks of course, seared rare. The wine was some Pinot Noir, I think, nothing too fancy, just right. . . .

So moms are moms. There's only so much you can fix about that.

Tellingly, this description of food made me salivate. The pasta? Not even.

I had some chicken last summer that was served (without my prior knowledge) with a breaded stuffing between layers of the chicken meat. Without discussion with my brain, my mouth spit it out on my plate, and only then did I analyze the flavor: "Hey, is there bread in this?" (not to my hostess, of course, and I was discreet about getting it out of my mouth). It was a gag reflex. Still remember how bad it tasted to me even before my brain said 'bread'. Nasssty.

I'm really sorry to hear that this LC thing is only going to last for a little while longer for me. I'm going to miss being slender and healthy and fit and active. If I squint hard when I look in the rear-view mirror, I can sorta remember being 35, so maybe I don't even have a full two or three years to enjoy the benefits. Pity, that.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Dec-12-17, 06:40

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Went to a new restaurant a few weeks ago.
It occurred to us later...too late that everybody there was filling up on bottles of wine, carbie appetizers, pasta, pizza crusts and bread baskets.

We discussed that all of those eating there were filling up on nothing but carbs.....

Real food costs more
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Dec-12-17, 22:15

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

It just occurs to me. If I'm not mistaken, the thing that holds the pasta together is - eggs. I thought I could be mistaken, so I checked. Industrial pasta has no eggs in there. Must be just for home made stuff. Anyways, it's an idea to make egg pasta, minus the wheat flour. I guess we'd call this egg noodles.

Just got an idea. Whey protein as substitute for wheat flour. So basically, eggs, whey, some kind of fat like olive oil or butter or whatever. Anybody ever try that?
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Dec-12-17, 23:24
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Quote:
It just occurs to me. If I'm not mistaken, the thing that holds the pasta together is - eggs. I thought I could be mistaken, so I checked. Industrial pasta has no eggs in there. Must be just for home made stuff. Anyways, it's an idea to make egg pasta, minus the wheat flour. I guess we'd call this egg noodles.

Just got an idea. Whey protein as substitute for wheat flour. So basically, eggs, whey, some kind of fat like olive oil or butter or whatever. Anybody ever try that?

I think I'd still prefer the steak, 'shrooms, salad with avocados, and Pinot Noir. When I get to maintenance, I might take a small square of dark chocolate for dessert.

Don't try to be cheapin' out on us now when you have us over for dinner.

Actually, I have a pasta machine tucked away gathering dust somewhere. It might be fun to try some cautious experiments somewhere down the road . . .
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Dec-13-17, 00:12

BF:

Quote:

Homemade pasta, as I used to make it, is flour, eggs, a bit of water, and maybe some olive oil, salt. I don't try to make substitutes for the food I used to eat, though I do try sometimes to come up with similar flavors, so I don't think I would be inclined to make "pasta" with some sort of flour substitute. Pasta sauce, for the most part, goes nicely with veggies or eggs. Filled pasta, like my above mentioned crab ravioli, is more difficult. But I will try that, now that I have thought of it, with a thin omelette, and see how it goes. There are other ways to eat crab, and there are other ways to eat saffron butter sauce, and one can go through life fairly comfortably without eating either, so if it doesn't work no great harm done.
I also have a pasta roller on an upper shelf somewhere. Perhaps it is time to send it to the thrift store.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Dec-13-17, 04:35

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:

I've made pasta and egg noodles before - egg noodles use an egg in the mixture (still mostly flour), but standard pasta is just flour and water.

I'm not sure whey would work as a substitute for flour when making pasta, because it always seemed to me that it needed some gluten development (via kneading the flour and water mixture) in order to hold the finished shape together while cooking. If you cook pasta long enough, it breaks down though - I remember trying to make alphabet soup in a crock pot... while I was at work all day. I came home to a crock pot full of gravy.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Dec-13-17, 06:02

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Shirataki noodles can sub for pasta. Taste and texture not quite the same but does the job for some sauce holding uses.