Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-17, 06:48

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/209/140 Female 70inches
BF:
Progress: 1%
Default And so it begins....

So. I'm here, in tears, knowing now is the time......I need to lose 5 stone.
I'm doing this for my family, my kids, and most importantly, myself.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-17, 06:59

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Cybes, welcome, don't fret the tears, we have all shed a few, some of us, more than others, for me, they are an outlet, so let them out...lol
Welcome to the forum, poke around and visit people, find your way around and good luck on your journey, if you have questions, and I'm sure you will, just ask, we are all here for ya.

I do suggest that you find a plan that works for you, read it, study it, read it some more and keep a diary of your food intake, it all helps toward success.

Stop by my journal sometime and meet me, I love company. ttyl
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-17, 07:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/177.5/156 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 64%

Cybes,

I'm with you. I started because of health concerns.

I'm not going to kid you. It's not easy. It involves changing your lifestyle if you want to be successful. The saying that keeps me going is, “There are two types of pain you will go through in life, the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tonnes.” I plan on being around a year from now and want to be healthier than I am.

It's one step at a time and that step is not always forward. The first few pounds come off easily, no matter what kind of diet you do. But there does come a time when you hit the wall. It's at that point that you remember the basics and know that it happens to all of us.

A few things that helped me along the way:

1) As Zoogirl mentioned, find a diet that works for you. I started with Atkins. I hated Stage 1 and couldn't have lived like that, so I started at Stage 2, knowing that I would lose weight more slowly. But the added flexibility has also meant that I could stick to it.

I'm not sure that this is the best plan for me for the long term, but it's been a good start.

2) Read this article: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=365499

Then read it again. And again. The scale is not your friend. Yes, over the long-term, you want the general direction to be down. But it will fool with you along the way. I have tried to cut my weigh-in down to once per week, knowing that if I do it any more frequently, I'll drive myself nuts (umm, nuts insert Homer Simpson drooling). I made the mistake of breaking my Monday-only rule today and was annoyed to find myself up since my last weigh-in. Drink lots of water. Yes, it will increase your weight the first few times you weigh in. But eventually, your body adjusts. Trust the science, not the scale.

3) Keep some "healthy" food around for emergencies. Don't go hungry. There's a difference between "I'm bored" and "I'm hungry." I've been overweight/obese for so long that those two sort of blend for me, and the hardest part for me has been knowing which is which. But starving yourself doesn't work[B]. We all know that. We've all done it. So, whatever diet you choose, keep some allowable food around, just in case.

4) And finally, please rely on this forum for moral support. The people here are kind and helpful, and they are rooting for you to succeed. There are no frienemies here. I've only been here six weeks but have posted here more than once just because I was feeling down. People here know the exact combination of tough love and compassion, and we've all been there. In fact, most of us are still there.

Bottom Line: You can do this. I know you can. I've never met you but I believe in you, and so does everyone else here. It's not easy, but it's doable and you'll appreciate it a little bit more as you go. The horrible cravings that you feel will subside, although they will likely never go away completely. But your life literally depends on it and, I promise you, the first time that your clothes don't fit or that somebody tells you that you look good, it will make all the effort worth it. Reread the article in #2. Trust the science. Understand that you will hit a wall and that you will eventually make it over that wall. We're with you.

Mike
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-17, 08:05

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

It may be hard at the start, but low carb/high fat is not an un-enjoyable way to eat. Bacon and eggs for breakfast, shrimp salad for lunch, a steak and a salad for dinner....what is there not to love about that?

If you stick to plan rigidly for the first few weeks, the cravings should fade and the results should justify your efforts.

I would recommend adding some exercise....just get out and walk with water in hand when you feel the cravings coming on.

Don't dread the journey, embrace the journey...looking forward to watching your goal meter hit 100%!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-17, 08:08
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Beautiful, Mike. Thank you.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-17, 12:44

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/209/140 Female 70inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

Thank you everyone.
I'm feeling really positive now.
I've printed off some recipes and im off shopping tomorrow.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-17, 11:40

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Great response, Mike.......loved it. It inspired me, as well........
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-18-17, 14:25
Registered Member

Stats: 216/177.5/156 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptrcmcc6
Great response, Mike.......loved it. It inspired me, as well........

Glad to know! We're all together in this.

Mike
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-20-17, 12:32

Stats: 171/151/143 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default And so it begins

I'm back after a quite a bit of time. I'm off and on with Low Carb. I'll get into then read something that makes me think it isn't healthy or I wont be able to workout with the same intensity.

It is so hard the first couple weeks - it rearranges your life and makes you feel awful, but I know overtime that I will feel more empowered and thinner.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-20-17, 14:37

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Welcome back, however I don't really know what to say to you, personally I found the first two weeks invigorating and I felt great...what I loved the most ans still do, is NO CRAVINGS. I guess all I can say is good luck. ttyl