Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 20:37

Plan: anti-fungal, atkins
Stats: 165/125/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 100%
Angry low fat mind set!

Does anyone elso do this? I start feeling good, loosing weight and the first thing my mind does is think" I need to cut out this fatty food or I will gain it all back!!"

I did this the other day and had to remind myself that it was eating this fatty food that made me lose weight!!

we have been drilled into our head over and over low fat, low fat, its kind of stuck...so the minute your feeling good( and it has nothing to do with low fat ) you think you have to start eating "healthy" and stop eat this WOL.

ok maybe I am just venting!! but it makes me so mad when I think of how I used to eat or not eat...fat was a thing I didn't touch!! If i did i skipped like two meals, no wonder I gained so much weight!!

anyway I was just wondering if any of you guys ever have the same thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 21:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279/247/180 Female 5' 4"
BF:Way/too/much
Progress: 32%

I still think that way on occasion. It was really hard for me in the beginning to eat FAT as a regular part of my diet. No more Butter Buds or Light Helmann's here

Alli
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 21:37

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Isn't it funny? Like we all did SOOO great on the low-fat diets.

Like they say, "De Nile" ain't just a river in Egypt.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 22:12
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

I also had some problems with this at first, but the food is so good that I don't give it a thought now. My last diet some 10yrs ago was low-fat/low-calorie and I did fine: 40 lbs in 3 months getting to goal, BUT I was always hungry and of course slid right back to bad eating, which is why I'm here now.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 22:21
Registered Member

Stats: 185/178/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Thumbs up

YES! When I filled out my FitDay journal, I noticed how much fat I was eating and my first thought was "YOU MUST CUT DOWN THE FAT!". It's hard to get out of the low cal/low fat frame of mind. It's been drilled into us for so long, that it's hard to accept something different. I still find myself worrying about the fat content in everything that goes into my mouth. I'm trying to not fret so darn much!

Brandee ~
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 22:53

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I've been on the Atkins plan for almost 8 months now and I still fall into that trap. When the scale refused to budge for six weeks, I plugged into FitDay for three weeks. I saw that I had a low of 35% fat for one day, a high of 60% for one day and the rest were in the low 50% range. It is not my intention to keep the fat ratio so low. It is 30 years of brainwashing I have to over come and continuously focus on in order to resist the impulse to not eat fat.

When I increased the fat ratio I lost weight again.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 23:12

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

I have been strict, around 70% fat...and I still don't lose....I am really frustrated because I am not losing anything at all.

I wonder if it's too much fat for me....I am still fighting with that brainwashing.

But then I wasn't losing on WW either.....so I don't know anymore. I am so disappointed....

Natascha
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 23:39
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 252/196/200 Male 78 inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

I think that the public is totally confused about low fat/low carb. I still have to remind myself that low-fat foods are bad for me!

/Jim
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 23:46

Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

It never ceases to amaze me that just when I start thinking about something I come to the board and someone has already started discussing it - which is a huge help.

The fat is hard - I avoided doing fit day for awhile because I knew when I actually SAW the data I would react.

I am actually trying to re-educate myself - stop thinking so much about calories (doesn't everyone who ever battled a lot of weight know the calorie content of every single food on the planet) but I also know I can't ignore them... or I think I can't - with a 100 pounds to lose I expected to lose a little faster, and keep reminding myself that even .5 a week is a great thing - but as I see the calories in fit day I already see myself mentally deducting things to reduce the calories - yeah it's a mind game and I believe it is at least 50% in my head. I haven't been hungry, haven't cheated and am still testing foods - keeping at between 20-25 carbs but added nuts and fruit - took away the nuts with no change in a week - so like I said - it's in my mind and since both my husband and I like this WOE we won't plan to change any time soon!

Thanks for letting me ramble - I think I better go to bed!

Pecan Pie
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 06:27

Plan: my own lc
Stats: 211/155/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 79%

I feel like I had been doing low-fat my entire life. Even took classes at the local hospital in order to learn "nutrition" .
Now I feel like I've been released from prison and having to learn a whole new way of living. Have to actually think to put "fat" on things, but boy does this WOL taste good, and to lose weight doing it is just amazing !!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 06:44
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

ndelacourt
What are you eating on average? maybe share your fitday account?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 06:52

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I had that problem at first, until I realized how much my hunger subsided when I ate more fat in my diet. I use fitday also. I must say this though, since I have not been exercising regularly in the last 2 months, I do have to somewhat watch my calories, not crazy like, but keep em around 1600 per day for my height and weight. Low fat = failure for me. I stayed hungry, ravenous, and the cravings were horrible. And the weight loss never lasted. I love Dr. A.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 06:55

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I couldn't agree more. After 20 years of yo-yo dieting I still feel guilty when I eat butter instead of light margarine. I also eat avocados, nuts, regular mayo, bacon, etc. And those oily bleu cheese salad dressings!

It is a big mental shift to start paying attention to carbs and portion size rather than the calories.

When I was low-calorie dieting I was always trying to figure out how to get the MOST food for the calories. That is really the basis of the WW point plan. How to eat the most you can and stay within the points......

I think that sort of thinking leads to obesity because we are still trying to have it all. Now, I eat when I am hungry and I eat really great tasting foods. The mental shift is hard but I keep losing weight!

My daily fat keeps real close to 70%. I notice that I eat much less food overall because I am not starving and not trying so hard to figure out how to fit in an extra apple or piece of celery lOLOLOLOL
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 07:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

You know, I grew up in the Northwest Territories in Canada, surrounded by Eskimo and Native peoples...they are rarely overweight, and eat almost a full atkins' diet - not intentionally, but because that is what was available...and you know what, the majority are very very healthy...of course, over the last 10 or 20 years as north american food products have been introduced this has changed somewhat, but the basic idea is there...our ancestors ate this way,meat was always an available source of food, and a few veggies...
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 08:34
Registered Member

Stats: 170/152/144 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Here's the voice of Cassandra adding some caution to this discussion. While you're losing weight with very low carbs, it is indeed true that high fat does the trick.

But when you get to maintenance, according to the Atkins for Life book, you do need to cut back on the fat as you add in carbs. I try to think of it as: you can have the fat and not the carbs. Or you can have the carbs and not the fat. But you can't have the fat AND the carbs. This is not an easy adjustment to make once you are used to cheese and nuts and avocados galore.

My stumbling block is starting the day out low carb and high fat and then proceeding through a low carb high fat lunch and snack. And then having a "treat" at night if we go out. That blows the whole thing, because suddenly my day has become high fat AND high carb.

I'm wondering if I should switch to low fat and low carb on days when there is an evening treat coming up. But what could I eat that's low fat and low carb? Dry tuna?

I'm going to cross post this to maintenance and see if I get any help there, but I thought that you guys who are earlier in the process of figuring out how to make this WOE work for life might want to put this thought into the mix.