Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 16:21
Registered Member

Plan: ATkins
Stats: 159/159.6/125
BF:
Progress: -2%
Question Question about the 2 CM meals

The book says to keep the 2 CM meals low-fat does that mean LOW-FAT or does that mean to keep the total fat content down when you eat your CM meals. Complete opposite of what I have been doing on Atkins.
Also in the book I cant find out if there is a retriction on the amount of Carbs in the diet like Atkins is 20 carbs.
Also do you count calories on CAD?
1 more thing if someone could post a link to there fitday so I can take a look at it.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 18:42
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

CAD is much lower fat and higher protein than Atkins. In fact, many CAs, if they get too much fat stall out!! That doesn't mean we go without enough fat to make things appetizing. It just means we don't have things swimming in fat. Also, you should try to get at least 12 ounces of protein in a day. So the percentages might look like 50:30:20; protein, carbs, fat or 40:40:30.

However, most of us don't use fitday unless its to be sure that we're getting enough protein. Usually, we just count the ounces.

There's no restriction on carbs, per se, with CAD. Generally you keep carbs at each CM to 4 for things like salad dressing and condiments. You don't count the carbs in the listed veggies or the meats, unless they have carbs in them. The limit on carbs for each CM is very important because too many carbs or AS can raise your insulin levels and bring on cravings and hunger as well as stall you and make you gain weight. We don't use net carbs, we use total carbs.

We have a saying here that a CM is just putting the proper food in your body so you can get to RM. We keep CMs simple and sparse, though we get enough to eat. You lose better that way.

Generally, we don't count calories though some have to to lose well. It's a very individual thing. I can't think of anyone off hand who uses fitday here.

Hope this helped.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Mon, Jun-23-03 at 18:44.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 20:04
Registered Member

BF:

I think I understand it now.
Does this smaple menu look ok?

B: 2 HB eggs
1 teaspoon of hellmans
1 cup of coffee black

L: salad
1 oz of cheese

RM: Pasta with a tomato sauce and meat balls and maz. cheese
2 slices of garlic bread, Green beans canned and Milk

Do I need to add more protein to any of those cm's are reward meal

Last edited by kayla : Mon, Jun-23-03 at 20:05.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 20:18
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Probably not enough food. Definitely not enough protein!! You're supposed to get enough to eat. Also eggs don't hold some CAs in the morning. You'll have to see how you fee.

How about this

CM# 1
2 eggs or 1 chicken leg (drumstick and thigh)
celery
mayonaise or ranch dressing
1 cup coffee, black

CM#2
Salad w/raw veggies
4 oz cooked protein or 3 ounces protein and 1 ounce cheese
dressing

or
4 ounces cooked protein
cooked cabbage or green beans or spinach or greens

RM
Make sure you get enough meatballs and more veggies. The rest is fine.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 00:51
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: // Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:
Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Zuleikaa
~~There's no restriction on carbs, per se, with CAD.

~~Generally you keep carbs at each CM to 4 for things like salad dressing and condiments. You don't count the carbs in the listed veggies or the meats, unless they have carbs in them.

~~The limit on carbs for each CM is very important because too many carbs or AS can raise your insulin levels and bring on cravings and hunger as well as stall you and make you gain weight.

This seems contrary to me-- first you say there's no restriction per se... then you explain when to count carbs and that the limit for each CM is very important. What am I missing here?

Thanks,
ljm
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 03:33
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Hello

Zuleikka is talking about accounting for the carbs in the condiments with your control meals

for example a usual CM for me

grilled chicken breast
califlower
with 1 slice cheese
salad with radish, green onions, 1 slice tomatoes, cucumbers, celery
4 T salad dressing with 2 carbs per 2 T

So i don't have to make a count of carbs for the meal in total...like how many carbs in the califlower and in the salad and all those low carb vegies but i am at my limit for condiments at 4 carbs for the meal

So there isn't a limit for the day or even per meal except on things like slad dressings and ketchup and low carb products...things that aren't on the acceptable foods or on the not acceptable list...need to have no more than 4 carbs in the amount you eat

make any more sense??
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 05:22
Registered Member

BF:

hmmm Thanks all
before I start this Im going to run out today and get the most up to date cad book Ive got the old orange and yellow one.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 06:14
Finding the Pieces

BF:

I wouldn't bother. The only change in the new edition is the clear emphasis on balance. You won't find the 4 carb rule. That's a rule of thumb of us CADers.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 06:33
Registered Member

BF:

Great I will save some money by not buying the book.
I started today
B. 1 hamburger no bun and a little more then 1/2 cup of spinach 1 teaspoon of ketchup, 3 oz cup of brewed coffee with 3 ozs of water added and 1 teaspoon of heavy whipping cream.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 13:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/264.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:3rd/attempt/toLC
Progress: 28%

"We have a saying here that a CM is just putting the proper food in your body so you can get to RM. We keep CMs simple and sparse, though we get enough to eat. You lose better that way."

Zule I havn't heard that before but it sure does make more sense out of the CAD plan!!
Thanks..

What would you say is the best form of protein??
any good ole standbys?
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 13:59
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Any protein is good. The worst is cheese. Cheese should be limited because of its fat content.

For some, eggs and white meat chicken don't satisfy and so should be avoided at least for CMs.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 14:51
Registered Member

Plan: low carb in general
Stats: 288/282/160 Female 5'7
BF:toooo much!!!!
Progress: 5%

This is all a little confusing to me. I am just starting CAD. Do I need veggies at all meals? Or just 1 CM and the RM?

Today, so far, I had....

Breakfast.....
-cheddar cheese omelet

Lunch.....
-2 hardboiled eggs
-1 oz mozzarella

Dinner....
- we have been invited to a BBQ. I will eat veggies there, I am sure!!

So far, with breakfast and lunch, how did I do? Less cheese? Not so many eggs???

Oh, also, yes I have had all my water today. That's the ONLY part about dieting I can ever manage to do!! LOL!!

His,
MrsTU- who desparately wants to learn all this!!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 15:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/264.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:3rd/attempt/toLC
Progress: 28%

Hi MrsTU, well I've been told its ok to not eat veggies with breakfast...but generally you should be having some type of veggie with CM #2.... not that I always do....but that is what I've heard...

Eat up on those veggies tonight
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 17:06

Plan: CAD + South Beach Diet
Stats: 230/177/160
BF:
Progress: 76%

the 4g rule is in the book, zule.
When choosing processed foods dressings, meats etc, make sure that 1 serving is not more than 4g of carbs.
the low fat thing is true, but i've found that i am hungry without fat so i use olive oil....the creamy dressings do not keep me as well. i always feel more satisfied days i use olive oil.
Protein only for breakfast is supper!!!!!!when i remember to have breakfast i have 1 can of sardine and i can go for hours....but i must have veggies with lunch.
i use to think that veggies at RM was not as important as CM's, plus i tried to save veggies for my CM 's to save money. But this week i've been eating a big salad with lowcarb veggies and starchy veggies, protein, fruit, and dessert. if i'am having starch, ex. bread, pasta i have less dessert and less fruit. i went down 4 pounds this week, and i owe it all to veggies and fruit addition! It is important to know carb counts, it makes you aware of what foods you can have more of. 1 cup of rice is not the same as 1 cup of fruit. I do not think it is right to have to compare the two when choosing rm foods.My 2 cent is EAT THE FRUIT, and measure the starchy breads, pasta, cakes.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 05:09

Plan: Shangri-La Diet
Stats: 316/217.5/154 Female 67"
BF:60/36/24
Progress: 61%

Kayla, which book are you referring to, CAD or CALP?