Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 14:42
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Different kinda Low Carb

I am thinking about trying that NUTRISYSTEM NOURISH low glycemic stuff for a few months... It IS low carb in it's own way but much higher than Atkins. I have not yet decided...but it looks doable to me. More fruit. More veggies. Just wonder if any of you have an idea? Or have tried it.

I am still doing the 14 days of good food to kick start my new year...but would switch when this is over, the middle of the month. I like the idea of yogurt and fruit and pre packaged foods. I suck as a cook and my meal plan has been pretty boring. The probabilities of me or my wife learning to enjoy cooking is slim to none. YOu CAN teach and old dog new tricks...but I don't think you can teach him to enjoy it!

Now, I have lost 80 pounds+ on a modified Atkins plan. I have brought my blood work well into line with the way of eating. I progress easily to the next level and have added fruit and other things into the program happily. I am seldom hungry. But I am missing something.

Here is part of my quandry: for ME (and your mileage may vary greatly) as long as I am close to 30 carbs or below I will lose at a pretty fair clip of 1 to 2 pounds a week. But when I go above that I not only stall but pur weight on. When my grandson was born I managed to eat off program for 4 days...though fairly sensibly and put on I believe 8 pounds. After my 21 day start to the month where I lost 19.5 pounds on strict induction...over the Holidays I managed to put on another 8 pounds WHILE eating ON PROGAM...just off induction. I DID eat more SF treats...several cups of SF cocoa a day...and SF chocolates and mints. I ate an orange and a grapefruit. And I ate a few mopre macadamia nuts than I would do in a similar week. The most carbs I ate was still under 50 for a day. I even exercised...maybe not as much as I did during my 21 day beginning to the month but 10 times more than I did the 1st 6 months of program.

Anyway...I am serioulsy considering a switch to a different type of program. The prepackaged foods part SEEMS smart to me in a NON-COOK family. But I am here seeking your knowledge of the program.

I have a menu for men in front of me and it is easily twice the veggies and fruit and yogurt that I am currently eating.

I assume that since it is low carb (less than 100 a day) that it would still fit the definition by this board?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 15:31

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

we would NOT let you leave this board even if you were eating Slimfast. Try whatever you like! If it works hoooray!

I CONSTANTLY think about switching programs because I want to be able to eat apples, yogurt and an occasional bowl of cereal... I am just too afraid to gain weight .... but If I ever have a good long stall and I know I am doing my best than I will consider changing too. good luck in your decision!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 15:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/230/150 Female 67
BF:don't want 2 know
Progress: 30%

I don't know anything about Nutrisystem Nourish diet so I probably should be the last person to reply, but I wonder is it wise to try this if you gain weight after eating over 30g of carbs.
I suppose you could always try it and keep a close eye on your weight.. Atkins is always here if you need to fall back.
Guess that doesn't help you out much, just voicing my oppinion.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 15:57
90 Days at a Time

BF:

I have done other diets before...low fat. I have lost weight.

I believe (and note the word: I believe...not that I am certain of!) that it is the combo of higher fats and other things which lead to my weight gain when I up my carbs of things like fruit and grain.

Due to health reasons about 7 or 8 years ago I was on a pure VEGAN diet for 7 months. No meat, eggs, animal oils, dairy. Just veggies and veggie oils. I lost weight but was bored to tears. Changed doctors and the new one said the old one musta been smoking something when he had me do Vegan. (wink)

Anyway...I think it is possible to eat more carbs if I eat less fat. I know my secretary lost 80 pounds on Nutrisystem...and is the one the one that gave me the heads up on the new low glycemic program.

Cost is not a factor to me. My health is worth it.

What matters is if it works and if it is healthy.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 16:24

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

It's nearly always possible to lose weight eating more carbs while eating a lot less fat....but will it be satisfying?...if you're addicted to the carbs like most of us here, wouldn't it just be feeding that addiction...and sending you into carb craving and worse hunger pangs? I believe that having the fat in my diet is making it so much easier to follow this LC lifestyle....and after following low-fat/fatfree diets in the past (including nearly three years as a vegetarian in which I GAINED weight) I find this better because I have less hunger.

However...whatever works for you...go for it. Try it and make your own assessment....some people do better on these plans. Maybe the fact that it concentrates on low glycemic foods will make a difference in satisfaction and the ability to follow the plan. Good luck to you!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 16:33

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:

Just nosing in: you might read Life Without Bread by Dr. Lutz (obviously my favorite low carb author...), since he suggests sticking in the 70 to 80 carb range for low carb benefits. In his second book he specifically suggests not falling below 70 or so. And obviously taking in a decent amount of fats.

So, sounds like you're low carbish to me. If weight gain is a concern, then just pay a little more attention to the "calories in - calories out" rules. I eat that way, and still stay around 60%+ in fat intake daily.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 16:44

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Dana Carpender (www.holdthetoast.com) suggests switching to a different low-carb plan if you stall, I think. I know if I stall that's something I definitely would try. Different things work for different people, I suspect.

By the way, I'm not a triple-digiter (I checked out this forum because I plan on recommending it to a friend who is), but I just wanted to let you know that you are all very inspiring to those of us who don't have quite as much to lose.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 17:31

Plan: Atkins/W.W.
Stats: 401/299/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 44%

As you know MisterE, we have to find something permanent...if the Nutrisystem plan looks to be something that seems much more doable (it sounds that way) I'd say try it....you can always fall back on Atkins if it doesn't work...
If you ever leave, I'll round up a posse and hunt you down...ya hear?! lol
Good Luck! (I'll be anxious to hear how it goes for you)

tulips
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 17:34

Plan: Atkins/induction
Stats: 329/293.5/200 Female 5 feet 2.5inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

Mr.E I am not about to tell you what to do but you might like to check out this sight if it is prepared meals you are intrested in http://www.lowcarbmeals.com/ I have not tried them but they look good and I am considering it.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 18:11
90 Days at a Time

BF:

MeMaw...THAT site looks awesome! A little pricey even for me...but the food looks divine! I have put it on my save list and I am going to order that sampler pack at $145. 15 meals and they are MEALS. Maybe I could supplement my "home cooked" meals with these and find solution.

I have had some info from a few people who have gone from various LC plans to this NS Nutrition program and most say it is a decent program. Entrees are a little small but the meal additions for men is really substantial.

In addition to the 3 entrees and dessert which you buy from program you add in 2 fruit servings, 3 milk/protien (eggs, meat, yogurt), 3 low glycemic carbs (oatmeal, beans, peas, corn) and 2 fats, a salad and 2 veggies.

For me that is a lot of food. Smaller portions perhaps but 3 meals a snack and a dessert. I still have no idea as to whether I will spring for it or not...just researching. I can assure you that none of the meals look as good as those from the site MeMaw gave!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 18:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

I tried a plan once where most of the food was pre-packaged. I found that the portions were really small and left me quite hungry. So I lost weight, but couldn't stay on the plan. Is the system you are considering a mix of pre-portioned food and your own supplements, such as fruit and yogurt?
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 18:37

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

MisterE, I don't know anything about the Nutrisystem plan, so can't help with the details on it. However, as you may know, I am doing my own lc plan. When I started I had my limit for carbs per day at 150. I gradually lowered that to a limit now of 70 per day. Usually I stick in the 30-60 range these days. I lost weight throughout, so I am confident that you could lose at the higher carbs, too. It's probably a matter of balancing the fat/protein content differently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterE
I am missing something.

I think you should consider defining what it is you are missing and add it in. Is it lack of fruit, or lack of grains, or something else? I am a very strong believer in using the feedback you get from your results to determine what it is you need to change. You may try these other plans and find that they don't satisfy you either....

I've been reading some of the other plans lately. Based on what I've read, we "should" eat healthy whole foods, not processed foods. All the books have that caveat. I just wonder if their prepackaged foods have much processing done and what the ingredients are?
Quote:
The prepackaged foods part SEEMS smart to me in a NON-COOK family.

If you are looking for a temporary fix, say for the next 100 lbs, then maybe this would be good. But please consider that you won't be learning to make those new foods that you will need for the long term. I guess I'm assuming you don't want to be buying their foods for the rest of your life... I just feel part of this WOL also includes forcing yourself to learn to cook, or learn to cook differently. I will admit that I still have a looong way to go in that department, too!

Good luck in whatever you decide!

We will never let you leave this board!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 18:43

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Hi MisterE,
Do whatever you think will be best for you. Different things work for different people. We all just want you to be happy and healthy. By the way, you are not allowed to leave us, even if you switch to a pure sugar and white flour diet! So don't even think about it
XOXO
Marie
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 19:23
90 Days at a Time

BF:

Folx..the one thing that is a constant for me and my success is YOU and this place. I am addicted to YOU and here. And with both for the long haul.

I have no intention of leaving. In fact, I am going to talk with the folx that own this board about the possiblity of making some kind of TV thingie on low carb. A monthly newsmag or something similar.

Still in the works. It would not be made to make me money...in fact, I doubt I would EVER recoup the cost of getting into production...as I would sell it at close to cost. It is FOR people. Not to soak them. Anyway...I have been host of several shows over the years, TV Director for more than 30 years. This would not be anything snazzy or award-winning...but it would be from the heart.

Again...we will see. I can do it...the question is how to market it to serve the most folx who need the help. I would guess the price would be around 9 dollars a tape or $10 per DVD. Free to those who cannot afford the tape/DVD...so long as they promise to share their free copy with another friend when they are done.

Anyway...that is a bit in the future. I make TV for a living and as a hobby. I am pretty certain some of you with video cameras of your own would help as "reporters". It could be fun. No money but some fun helping others along the way!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 21:17
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
I am thinking about trying that NUTRISYSTEM NOURISH low glycemic stuff for a few months... Thanks.

I don't know how much Nutrisystem costs but did you know that Atkins has a food plan where they will deliver Atkins food right to your door? It is on the Atkins Nutritionals website. I think it is called Atkins Home or Atkins at Home. These are not just bars and stuff like that but real meals made in their test kitchens.