Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#391   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 10:07

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Robin, I have a few ideas for picky SOs:

- Does he not like dips? Eggplant --> baba ganoush, avocados --> guac
- Cucumbers --> pickles. Does he like those? My SO does, so I keep the fridge stocked even though I'm not a huge fan.
- Pureed soups? We'll both eat cream of (anything) soup. For the lactose intolerant, pureed cauliflower makes a great "cream" soup base. Does he not like chili or other tomato-based soups/stews?
- Does that mean he won't eat mashed cauliflower?! (dies)
- Does he need to stay LC, or is he up for potatoes/sweet potatoes? Those are easy to make in a single serving.
- How about rutabaga, turnip, and other slightly higher carb root veggies? Not sure what they'd do to your BG, though.

Other than that, it sounds like what he does like isn't a bad mix. You can do a lot with that. I assume if he likes brussels sprouts, he'd eat cabbage, too, so you've got your stir fry, cole slaw, etc.

Thanks, Kristine!
So before I complain, let me say he volunteers to cook constantly and he is so sweet he weighs everything for me and writes it down, so I can count my carbs
Also, he is always willing to try what I make.
I have found sometimes he discovers. Veg he hated from childhood but loves prepared a new way (like roasted Brussels sprouts). Some are "okay" but he will eat them like "roasted carrots."

Thank goodness, he LOVES mashed cauli and riced cauli

Last night I tried roasting zucchini cut in coins and then slices in half with bell peppers which he loves. He ended up liking this, so I think introducing new veggies with familiar favorites might be something to try again.

He doesn't really like dips except salsa, and dislikes pickles. He does like I make bisque so with coconut milk and bouillon. The cauli is a great idea.
He hates to,a toes, but loves salsa and marinara, so I think he just likes it blended basically.

He does love root veggies and eats sweet potato, potato, and sweet potato fries (baked) several days a week.
He is GF for gut issues/arthritis but he is super active and has an active job, so he can get away fruit, root veggies and his daily oatmeal. I would say he is moderate carb.
It works fine for us to have a protein and veggy we share, and he adds a starch.

I am excited that recently we sat down and made a list of all veggies he likes, some that are "ok" and some things to try I think he might like.

I am very grateful to have a partner who is so accomodating of my diet, and always willing to take over and take care of me

And I know that most people eat the same foods over and over, but I can't let go of the rainbow a day advice to ensure a variety of vitamins and minerals.

Last week- our new victory was an artichoke, which he loved
Last night the zucchini was enjoyed rather than "ok."
Tonight's mission is jicama, which I'm hoping he will find similar to potato.
Wish me luck!

Btw, meme- roasted veg is my favorite prep method. Yum!
Sponsored Links
  #392   ^
Old Fri, Apr-21-17, 22:34

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Veggie stir-fry in olive oil with Zucchini, red onion,
sweet red pepper, garlic, garlic salt, pepper and a little butter at the end
  #393   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 07:10

BF:

That looks very pretty
  #394   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 07:51

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

That's the way to do it Meme! We can be both Vegetarian and Meatatarian, or both depending on the day and circumstance.

We Love Our Fresh Vegetables!
  #395   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 09:49
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Two years of talk, talk, talk is over. I actually started a vegetable garden this year. Tomatoes, green beans, peppers, squash, cantaloupe and a few other things. The only other time I tried to grow something was when I created a pumpkin patch. With dozens of pumpkins getting big, but still green - the plants caught some sort of blight and died in a matter of days. I hope to have more success with this vegetable and fruit garden.
  #396   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 11:49

BF:

Khrussva- I want to try peppers someday. I have never had much luck with house plants, but when my DH have a home instead of an apartment, maybe I will get the hang of it.
Good luck!
You might want to try zucchini if that wasn't the type of squash you mentioned.....I have heard it's pretty fool proof in our area?
  #397   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 13:51

BF:

Ken, your garden sounds great!
I can't wait to hear about all of the fresh veggies you grow.
Post pic if you can, we'll live vicariously through your gardening.
  #398   ^
Old Sat, Jul-15-17, 11:01

BF:

DH found this great farm with fresh veggies and came home with yellow crookneck squash, flattish looking donut shaped yellow onions, small cucumbers, eggs, 4 gorgeous tomatoes that really taste like a ripe tomato!
I cooked the squash with onion, garlic and butter and a tiny bit of water on low until nice and tender with a broth that is to die for...

I had a 1/2 a BBQed brisket in the freezer that I thawed out to eat with the squash.
  #399   ^
Old Sat, Jul-15-17, 11:51
Say NO to Diabetes!

I ate the first "fruits" of my first ever vegetable garden this past week. It's a small garden with tomato plants, green beans, cantaloupe, bell pepper, zucchini, romaine lettuce, and some herbs. I see lots and lots of green, but not too much in the way of eatables. We harvested several servings of green beans and had them with dinner. My two tomato plans have a total of 2 tomatoes so far. Nothing else is showing signs of fruit. We are only half way through summer. Perhaps more progress is to come.
  #400   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-17, 11:47

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

i'm in the pnw, and our garden had a late start this year because of a really cold spring. it's frustrating how slow it's progressing. today i picked swiss chard, kale and some romaine. I've been succession planting the lettuce and the rest of the greens. some of the chard is going to seed already!! so i'll have to replant it too. the chard has been slow to grow, and then it bolts! oh well. i have a lot of tomatoes planted, but not much activity on them yet because of the slow start. crossing my fingers that we get a good harvest off of them. we have a few berry plants, but i'm getting the kids to eat most of those, it's been stalling me out to eat very many of the berries. i have maybe 3 or 4 a day now--strawberries, blueberries, raspberries mostly. i have some other berries like currants, haskasp and saskatoons that are still too young to actually make any fruit yet--maybe next year!
  #401   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-17, 12:17

BF:

How funny, I just got email notice of Walnut's post today. I wonder why today when the post was made in July?

Anyway, how is everyone's garden doing?
  #402   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-17, 14:10
Say NO to Diabetes!

My first attempt at a vegetable garden was kind of a joke. It was my worst N=1 experiment yet. I don't think I got enough sun in the spot that I chose. I think I needed to use more space, too. It was a bushy mess w/o much organization. Anyway - here is what I ended up with...

Though they seemed to be growing just fine, I didn't get one zucchini, cucumber or bell pepper. Lots of blooms - no produce! My green beans did great for a while, then caught some blight and died. I did manage to harvest a fair amount before then, though. The cantaloupe, lettuce, and misc. herbs didn't do much of anything, dying soon after they were transplanted. The only semi-success was my tomato plants. I got some good ones periodically throughout August. Yesterday I went to check them and a dozen had ripened all at once. Now I have to figure out what to do with them before they spoil.

So my first garden was a disaster. I enjoyed it, though. I enjoyed it a lot, actually. Let's call it a learning experience. I will try again next year.
  #403   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-17, 14:25

the garden did really well despite the late start. i still have lots of green tomatoes but way more ripe ones overall than we got last year. i tried planting squash for the first time this year, and next year i'll definitely do more of the spaghetti squash. they grow really fast and did well. i'll also succession plant some more zucchini. i set some out on may long weekend as transplants, but apparently you can put in seed around summer solstice for a second crop and they'll keep producing thru until the first frost. the zucch plants just kind of wear out after a while, i guess. i had about 6 zucch and 6 crookneck plants and that seemed to be the right amount to give us eating zucchs for most of the summer. if i want any to freeze next year, i'll have to put in more. i pick them when they're small--about 6 inches, and i had pruned the leaves back a bit so it was easy to see the actual zucchs. next year, i don't think i'll bother with the crooknecks--they're a bit difficult to put thru the spiralizer.

i'm starting to put the gardens to bed now, pulling plants, saving seeds, tarping for the winter to keep the rains and the weeds out. i have lots of winter garden plants put in--kale, lettuce, swiss chards, etc. green leafy type plants. most of them are in the greenhouse but i have a couple of rows of kale that need to have hoops and plastic installed over them in the regular garden i might try putting in some pac choi, it grows really fast so it might have time yet. i tried growing the pac choi in the spring and we got hit with a blast of heat that made them bolt as soon as they started to grow! it was so bizzare. and it's almost time to put in the garlic. too early and they can get a fungal thing. so i'm holding off for another couple of weeks. i also put in some snow peas for a fall crop but they're not really doing anything. people say that you can really only grow peas in the spring here--i guess they're right!! LOL first frost is usually end of oct/beginning of nov, so they still have a bit of time yet.

anyways, i'm eating way more veggies than a vegetarian, but have to watch the carbs in all of the fresh veggies!! i found out the hard way that i have to stick to eating all the fresh veggies at regular meal times with normal sized portions and that it's really easy to carb up if i graze as i'm harvesting.

anyhow, i wrote a novel, i hope everybody else's gardens did well. and i hope that if people aren't gardening that there are lots of farmers markets available in your areas so that you're also enjoying lots of the fresh produce.
  #404   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-17, 14:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
Lots of blooms - no produce

with the zucchinis anyways, they have male and female blossoms. if you don't have very many bees, you can take a male flower around to pollinate the females. last year, my zucch's didn't do anything but this year they were great. we have lots of bees--i started going plant to plant to hand pollinate, but there were bees in all the flowers, so i quit!
  #405   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-17, 14:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
My first attempt at a vegetable garden was kind of a joke. It was my worst N=1 experiment yet. I don't think I got enough sun in the spot that I chose. I think I needed to use more space, too. It was a bushy mess w/o much organization. Anyway - here is what I ended up with...

Though they seemed to be growing just fine, I didn't get one zucchini, cucumber or bell pepper. Lots of blooms - no produce! My green beans did great for a while, then caught some blight and died. I did manage to harvest a fair amount before then, though. The cantaloupe, lettuce, and misc. herbs didn't do much of anything, dying soon after they were transplanted. The only semi-success was my tomato plants. I got some good ones periodically throughout August. Yesterday I went to check them and a dozen had ripened all at once. Now I have to figure out what to do with them before they spoil.

So my first garden was a disaster. I enjoyed it, though. I enjoyed it a lot, actually. Let's call it a learning experience. I will try again next year.

It's harder than it looks to grow veggies.
My dh planted some green beans and they were doing great until some bug, maybe a grasshopper came along and ate all of the plants down the ground in one day..

A couple of years ago I put two tomatoes in pots and then the vines grew well then the leaves turned all strange and twisted with flowers falling off. I think I used some soil that had round-up in it because it just wasn't normal...

I can imagine how you feel with all of your tomatoes ready at once because I have that problem with orange and lemon trees here and being LC I can't really have any..or at least can't have 20 of them

One thing I thought of when you said you got flowers but no veggies was that maybe there are no bees to pollinate. IDK
~also One old farmer who I've bought veggies from has told me that the soil is basically dead and that fertilizer is mandatory, I guess for the nitrogen.

One herb I found that is unkillable..if that's a word.. chives have been great for me and I've have a pot full for 3 years. For some reason I've never been able to grow herbs in the ground, something always gets it. But I pots I've had luck with parsley. thyme, rosemary. Oh I do have one herb in the ground that has so done
wonderfully well and that's a bay leaf tree and mine is about 20 feet tall now. They're hard to find (a tree) but it tastes so good in soups, stews or gumbo.

You gave it a good try so this is just a learning curve thing...