Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 13:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/218/200
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Has anyone tried Michelob ULTRA (Low Carb Beer?)

I'm not a huge drinker (I think I had enough 40oz beers in college to last me a lifetime) and honestly, giving up beer hasn't been a challenge at all for me since I've been on this diet. Even when I'm not on the diet, I rarely drink beer.... only when I'm out or hanging with the guys.

However, it would be nice to have some hot wings and a few beers with the guys while we watch football or something... and this new Michelob ULTRA beer only has 2.6g of carbs per beer! Wow! Has anyone tried it? How does it taste? Is it easy to find?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michelob ULTRA -
Michelob ULTRA is a smooth, refreshing lager with 95 calories, 4.2 percent alcohol by volume and 2.6 grams of carbohydrates per 12-oz. serving. Michelob ULTRA is brewed using the finest pale two-row and Munich six-row barley, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains, combined with the extended mash process, produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 19:13

Stats: 185/168/145
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Okay, I admit that I have....

and I like it!

They just started carrying it in the stores here and it was only a few cents more than any other beer. I went, I saw, I bought. And like I said, I like it.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 19:19
Registered Member

Plan: Kaufman, Atkins
Stats: 142/130/110
BF:22% or so
Progress: 38%

I bought it for the first time today--bottles. It was good. If you like Michelob products you will probably like it. I like wine better but it was pretty good. My husband usually drinks Bud Light and he liked it.

Marj
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 19:55

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Funny thing about alcohol and this diet.....

It takes much less alcohol to give you a buzz than before you started the diet. So drink wisely. A few members have found out the hard way and suffered really ugly hangovers

Make sure you drink lotsa water
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 21:01
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 240/185/175
BF:99%
Progress: 85%

I've read several times on this forum that Miller Lite has only 3.2 carbs per 12 ozs. (I assume this is the American version). If the new ULTRA is more expensive, or less tasty, this may be an option.

I think the biggest issue with ANY alcohol is how it can make you "forget" about not eating high carb foods. That slice of pizza looks extra inviting after six or twelveteen cold ones.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 05:48

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I love good beer. I gave it up to do low carb. I have been hearing about Michelob Ultra for months now, I promised myself if I did well until it came out, I would try it. I haven't had any alcohol up to that point, six months. I bought some on Monday, expecting it to taste like skunk juice. It really wasn't bad at all, but far from being as tasty as my favorite hefeweizen. I did not like the woozy feeling I got from drinking half a bottle. Agonycat is sooo right! I felt like I was coming down with the flu, uncoordinated, and nausea kind of feeling. I also got a dull headache a few hours later. I didn't retain water afterward either, but I also drank plenty of water that day. It did not trigger any cravings for me and I was able to only have one (which is something I feared).

I wouldn't go back to having 8+ beers a day like I used to, but it's great to know if you want a beer, that there are a few out there that can be had as a treat now and then.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 07:10
Registered Member

Plan: Keeping carbs under 20
Stats: // Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress:

I just heard it advertised yesterday here on New York radio. I've been looking for it here in Jersey. I hope I find it.

I'm not an alchoholic or anything, but I do like to have a few when I play poker or get together with friends.

My problem is I usually break down and drink regular beers, so I hope that I can find Ultra soon. It may help me stay on plan.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 20:29
Registered Member

Stats: 295/285/225 Male 6'1''
BF:
Progress: 14%

Being the inquisitive sort (the fact that it's low-carb BEER had nothing to do with it ) I set out to find if this would be available in Ontario, Canada. I started with The Beer Store (our provincial beer store.. duh!), who forwarded me to Labatt's. Labatt's is the distributor of Michelob products in Canada. I then confused the heck out of a few Labatt CS reps until they decided to ditch the freak (me) and forwarded me to Anheuser-Busch Inc in the States. After some more runarounds I finally got the word that they don't know if/when it's coming to Canada. They suggested I call back in a month.

I think I'll email next time.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-02, 16:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins variation
Stats: 225/222/190 Male 6 feet 1 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

A few notes on Michy Ultra:
I've been drinking it since it came out on the market, but not often. Here is what I've found.
1) It is true that there are very few carbs in ultra, but remember! Alcohol also works as an insulin stimulator, so not only are you getting the carbs, but the alcohol also. This IS a double whammy. I am not saying don't drink it. If you are like me, you like to have some beer now and then.
2) to combat those carb and alcohol woes. The first night I had ultra, I drank 10 of the suckers after not having alcohol for 3 weeks, wow are you right, I was one sloshed puppy. But, afterwards I drank a ton of water. The next day I knew things were not right. I was not hungover but I felt the hunger I had not felt in weeks, and my system knew I had done something bad. I took my vitamins and cut down my carbs more then normal. A normal day I eat 30-40 carbs. Now, a day after drinking I drop down to 20. It helps big time. Usually the next day my body is feeling good again.

In short. Go Michy for giving us Ultra and letting us low carbers have some fun once and a while. But be wary my friends, because it CAN stall you, and CAN make you gain weight. Moderation is the key to sucsess as always.

Good luck, and yes Michy ultra is great tasting too!
-Chad
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-02, 18:54
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

Today I tried the Michelob Ultra Light for the first time and I liked it. I had 2 beers and definitely felt a little buzz. As far as beers go, I have tasted a whole lot worse.
asugar
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-06-02, 10:40

Plan: General LC-ing
Stats: 145/127/120
BF:BMI 23.7
Progress: 72%
Default Mic it up

Just had my first Mic-Ultra last night. One beer and it took me over 2 hours to drink it and I woke up feeling like I drank a case
of Bud. (Not a huge drinker to begin with)
I liked the taste and the fact that there was no After taste.
Didn't trigger any food cravings but next time I'll drink 1/2 a beer and hopefully skip the hangover feeling.
Noticed that since LC-ing that wine hits faster too.....but wine doesn't give me the morning after headache.
greentea
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 18:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 120/120/120
BF:
Progress:
Default Michelob ultra -- is label accurate?

I was curious about the fact that the Mich Ultra label states the beer has 96 calories, .6 grams protein, 2.6 grams carbs, and 0 grams fat. I thought it seemed too good to be true.

I undererstand that one gram of carbohydrate has 4 calories. So if this beer has only .6 grams protein and no fat, where are the other calories coming from?

I entered the nutritional info from the label on this sites "Hidden Carbs Inspector," which calculated the real carb count of this beer to be 24.3 grams.

So, can anyone tell me -- is the nutritional info on Mich Ultra's label inaccurate or is there some other explanation for the discrepancy? Thanks.

(Btw, I tried it, and it doesn't taste good at all. I guess it's better than no beer - IF the label is accurate).
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 09:28

Plan: Back with Atkins, works b
Stats: 196/151/145 Female 5'6"
BF:28/26/
Progress: 88%

I have had it... It doesn't have much taste if you really enjoy good beer, but, it does come in handy in a pinch.

I keep it on hand, but I usually stick with vodka...