Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#391   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-18, 13:05

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Demi, thanks for maintaining this thread----I can see points that account for my kids doing pretty well. As teens they are usually in bed between 9 and 10, and up at 6 on school days. ANd their clocks are my OLD ones from decades ago......

As for sleeping out aka camping, THAT is when they are up til the weee hours with thier buddies, lol.

Rooster started crowing at 4;30 this morning under my window. He will be moved back to his distant pen tonight.
Sponsored Links
  #392   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-18, 04:21

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
The Circadian Code: Lose weight, supercharge your energy and sleep well every night

by Dr. Satchidananda Panda

Change your daily routine, transform your health.

Circadian rhythms are biological processes or clocks that exist in each one of our cells. Programmed to turn genes on or off at different times of the day or night, they influence every aspect of our health from weight and energy levels through to resistance to disease and infection, and how well we sleep.

Now, in The Circadian Code, this new science is revealed, showing that the timings of our day (when we eat, sleep, exercise, work) are more crucial than we ever thought before. And that, most importantly, if your daily schedule is out of sync with your circadian rhythms, you can fix it!

Whether you are a shift worker, a frustrated dieter, someone suffering from sleep problems or chronic illness, whatever your health concern, The Circadian Code is the key to unlocking your health.

Dr Panda is the leading expert in the field of circadian rhythm research. He is Associate Professor in the Regulatory Lab at the SalkInstitute, a Pew Scholar and a recipient of the Dana Foundation Award in Brain and Immune System Imaging.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1785042017/

https://www.amazon.com/Circadian-Co.../dp/163565243X/
  #393   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-18, 07:00

BF:

THe start time for high schoolers definitely needs to change. They should be going to school AFTER the little ones. Teens change to a night schedule. Even when my oldest hits the hay on time ( early, by 9) he cannot get up because his body is on its own clock. Working on waking him between 6-7am NOW to help him adjust to the 6am wake up time for upcoming school day. ( He is back in school by AUg 20th)
  #394   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-18, 09:08

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I read his book last month - highly recommend it.

#395   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-18, 00:43

BF:

Quote:
Poor sleep makes people pile on the pounds, study finds

Disrupted sleep alters metabolism and boosts body’s ability to store fat, data shows

Lack of sleep has long been linked to obesity, but a new study suggests late night snacking may not be the primary culprit. The latest findings provide the most compelling evidence to date that disrupted sleep alters the metabolism and boosts the body’s ability to store fat.

The findings add to mounting scientific evidence on how disrupted sleep influences the usual rhythms of the body clock, raising the risk of a wide range of health problems from heart disease to diabetes.

Jonathan Cedernaes, a circadian researcher at Uppsala University in Sweden and the paper’s first author, said the findings pointed to “the irreplaceable function that sleep has”.

“Sleep is not just to conserve energy, it has so many functions,” he said.

Time and again research has linked shift work and lack of sleep to the risk of obesity and diabetes, but the reasons behind this association are complex and have been difficult to elucidate. Insufficient sleep appears to disrupt hormones that control appetite and feelings of fullness. Those who sleep less have more time to eat, may be too tired to exercise and have less self-control when it comes to resisting the temptation of unhealthy snacks. A previous study by Cedernaes and colleagues showed that even a short period of sleep deprivation led people to eat more and opt for higher calorie food.

To complicate matters further, obesity increases the risk of sleep apnoea, a breathing problem that itself disturbs sleep quality.
The latest study provides new evidence that sleep deprivation having a direct influence on basic metabolism and the body’s balance between fat and muscle mass.

In the study, published in the journal Science Advances, 15 healthy volunteers each attended a testing session on two occasions, once after a normal night’s sleep and once after staying up all night. During the visit, they gave samples of fat and muscle tissue and blood.

After sleep deprivation, people’s fat tissue showed changes in gene activity that are linked to cells increasing their tendency to absorb lipids and also to proliferate.

By contrast, in muscle the scientists saw reduced levels of structural proteins, which are the building blocks the body requires to maintain and build muscle mass. Previous epidemiological studies have also found shift workers and those who sleep less have lower muscle mass. This may be in part down to lifestyle factors, but the latest work shows that there are also fundamental biological mechanisms at play.

“Sleep loss by itself is reducing proteins that are the key components of muscle,” said Cedernaes, although he added it is possible that diet and exercise could counteract these changes.

The study also found an increase in inflammation in the body after sleep deprivation, which is a known risk factor for type 2 diabetes.
However, the authors said it would be important to investigate further to see whether the short-term changes they identified were sustained in people working shift patterns or experiencing sleep deprivation over longer time periods.

The link between sleep deprivation and illness is of growing concern due to the increase in shift work and changes in sleep patterns across the world.
Last year, a review of 28 existing studies found that permanent night shift workers were 29% more likely to develop obesity or become overweight than rotating shift workers.

The number of people regularly working nights in the UK has increased by 260,000 in the past five years, according to the TUC, which estimated last year that Britain’s late-night workforce has reached almost 3.2 million – equivalent to one in eight workers.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...e-on-the-pounds
  #396   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-18, 05:27

BF:

Remembering a doc that brought up my weight, and pointing out the need to drop some pounds. Just hit me hard, as I was a sleepless mom with a newborn. " Can I get a good night's sleep first?" before addressing weight.--- was my angry retort. What she didnt know was that I had lost 10 pounds the last month of pregnancy-- thanks to DANDR my eating thru the pregnancy was healthy. But lack of sleep as babies like to exercise at night then a newborn......weight loss was not my high priority. ( And she was a tall, very thin woman who clearly had no weight issues despite just having a baby herself.)
  #397   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-18, 11:13

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
And she was a tall, very thin woman who clearly had no weight issues despite just having a baby herself.

Classic. It's easy for ME so it should be easy for YOU!
  #398   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-18, 12:40

BF:

Yes classic. It was the beginning of learning that medical doctors "pralctice" on us guinea pigs.

When I could sleep reasonably well, and then no longer pregnant I tackled DANDR. Cant say I slept great as I had a fussy son. Who's pediatrian was crap at helping me with--- I now know it was food issues and autism issues. ALL things I have worked out for myself without a medical degree. Took a long time for my son to sleep thru the night, then sleep in his own bed although he had a younger brother share the room.

For the kids, I kept to a strict evening schedule. An order of process that set them up to go to bed about the same time every night. It started with dinner and ended with reading and lights out with a nightlight on.

Now in HS, they both use the computer to do homework. ANd I worry about how it might effect them. So far, lights out, and out cold.

I do wonder if it is the effects of Vitamin D3 and real sunlight in the afternoon. Along with a schedule, though a looser schedule, Always a shower, read and lights out.
  #399   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-18, 09:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I have the app Brainwaves to set up my mind for sleep.

Just tracked down this book and looking forward to reading it!
  #400   ^
Old Fri, May-31-19, 00:20

BF:

Circadian clock and fat metabolism linked through newly discovered mechanism

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=482579
  #401   ^
Old Fri, May-31-19, 02:09

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

This book was so good. It just grabbed me from the introduction onward. Highly recommend this to anyone who sleeps (lol).

#402   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-19, 04:00

BF:

Quote:
From The Telegraph
London, UK
7 October, 2019

When were you truly in the dark? How light pollution is affecting your body

The hour is approaching midnight, but my bedroom is not properly dark. A horizontal slither of dim yellow light spills over the tops of the curtains. Even with my eyes shut, I still see it. The window overlooks suburban back gardens that are bathed throughout the night in the warm, electric glow of the streetlamps. Several neighbouring houses are still partially lit by bulbs that will stay on until morning. They are keeping the darkness at bay.

Ten miles to the south, the twinkling red, amber and white lights of Canary Wharf glisten like distant jewels in the night sky. There’s a glow of light over the city.

Like many people, I have always found comfort and cosiness in artificial light, particularly at this time of year. But when was the last time I saw the night sky in all its glorious, unpolluted darkness? In Italy, in the summer, high up in the Ligurian hills, we gazed at a tapestry of stars above our rented holiday house, scattered across an unadulterated expanse of black.

There’s a magic in that, which the writer Sigri Sandberg captures beautifully in her book An Ode to Darkness. Already a bestseller in her native Norway and released in the UK this week, it muses lyrically on our intimate relationship with the dark and on “why the ever-encroaching light is damaging our well-being.”

Sandberg travels from her tower block in Oslo to Finse in the north of the country, which, during its dark polar night, is “the best place I know to see the stars,” she writes.

Boarding a train to polar regions to escape the light pollution to which so many of us are constantly exposed sounds romantic, but it’s not an option available to most of us. Even many rural areas now suffer from light pollution as our nights become ever brighter.

A five-year study carried out by the GFZ German Research Centre for Geoscience between 2012 and 2016 found that Earth’s artificially lit outdoor area grew by two per cent a year in that time, along with nighttime brightness. The researchers, who had made satellite observations during consecutive Octobers, said light pollution was in fact even worse than their findings suggested as they did not include some of the LED lighting we’re increasingly using - specifically blue light.

Scientists and environmentalists alike are growing increasingly concerned. Earlier this year, National Geographic reported on how “the excess light we dump into our environments is endangering ecosystems by harming animals whose life cycles depend on dark.” It also warned: “We’re endangering ourselves by altering the biochemical rhythms that normally ebb and flow with natural light levels.”

Some 80% of the world’s population reportedly now lives under light-polluted skies. As Sandberg asks in her prologue, “What is all this artificial light doing to us and everything else that lives? What is it doing to our sleep patterns and rhythms and bodies?”

Corresponding with her over email, I ask what is good about being in total darkness.

“Human beings are...diurnal animals that need both day and night, both light and darkness, both activity and rest,” she says. “Darkness has, since the start, given us this fantastic opportunity to do nothing, and to rest. And darkness, along with silence, is necessary for us.

“The good thing about being in the darkness is the possibility to rest, and also of course the possibility to see the night sky.”

Yet in our permanently switched on age, darkness is increasingly hard to come by. Does Sandberg believe her life has been adversely affected by an excess of artificial light?

“Yes,” she replies. “I’m totally convinced that both me and most of the population on this earth have had an unconsciously unhealthy relationship to artificial light.

“Darkness was, like the cold, an enemy. Humans have fought against it since we lit the first fire. And our nights have become brighter and brighter. Now there is not a very big difference between night and day. And this scares scientists – and it scares me - because it affects our sleep, our rhythms. Some people call sleep disorders a global epidemic.

“Our physical construction and brains are dependent on darkness. Researchers are just at the start of finding out how dangerous too much artificial light really is.”

After setting out to conquer a primeval fear of darkness, the project led her to conclude that “the absence of darkness is in fact much more frightening than darkness itself.” One of the key problems is that melatonin, the hormone that regulates human sleep patterns, is affected by disruptions of the day-night cycle caused by light pollution.

Sleep experts agree it’s a worrying change that does indeed have an impact on sleep, and in turn, human health.

“It is [a problem],” says Dr Neil Stanley, who has been involved in sleep research for more than 37 years and runs a sleep consultancy. “Light and dark are key to our circadian rhythm [body clock] and therefore our sleep. As the sun sets we release melatonin and somewhere between one to three hours after that is the time we go to sleep, or we would do. We are exquisitely sensitive to the dark night cycle. The problem is we now have the ability to have artificial light that can allow us to conquer the night.”

This happens both outside and inside the home. Streetlamps combine with electric lightbulbs, LED displays, the standby lights on our televisions and the melatonin-suppressing blue light emitted by the smartphones we now commonly take into our bedrooms.

“People who are using screens before bedtime will take longer to get to sleep, not sleep as well and feel more sleepy the next day,” says Dr Stanley. “The advice for a bedroom is it needs to be dark, and by dark we mean pitch black.”

Poor sleep has been linked to everything from lower productivity and more days lost to sickness, to obesity, impaired memory and worse mental health.
“People say we have a sleepiness epidemic, but we do it to ourselves,” Dr Stanley adds. “We are paying the price.”

According to a survey by the Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE) published earlier this year, just one in 50 of us in this country experiences nights free from light pollution.

“It’s part of our heritage, a connection to the night sky,” says Emma Marrington, a dark skies campaigner at CPRE. “It’s only since the 1950s or 1960s that we’ve had a problem with artificial light. Before that, we had [that] connection.”

Many children are now growing up without ever seeing the night in full darkness; never seeing the sky full of stars. “There’s a lot of concern about the impact on people’s health,” adds Marrington. “Years ago we did a survey asking people how their lives were affected by light pollution. Some said they had changed bedrooms or moved house to get away from it.”

Both seem like drastic solutions. I ask Sandberg what else can be done.

“A lot of things,” she says. “Both in your own home, and also by talking to the authorities and your neighbourhood about the outdoor lightning.

“At home you could take the evening and the night seriously. You could use the curtains to not be disturbed by the outdoor light. Turn out/down your main light, switch off your screens at least one hour before you go to bed. Turn off your phone at night.”

Dr Stanley suggests sticking gaffer tape over the light on your television, swapping curtains for black-out blinds, wearing an eye mask when sleeping, and cutting out screen use for 40 minutes before bedtime. (Others recommend we do so two hours before bedtime.)

Authorities are waking up to the problem, too. One night at the end of last month, Geneva turned off all its lights to raise awareness of light pollution. In March, 188 countries and territories took part in the annual Earth Hour, by switching off their lights in an expression of concern for the planet. The process serves to emphasise just how much we are lighting up our lands every night, and the fact this is not without consequence.

The UK Government already advises local authorities to ensure planning policies and decisions “limit the impact of light pollution from artificial light on local amenity, intrinsically dark landscapes and nature conservation”.

But, says Marrington, “you’ll have a very varied approach between local authorities, with some that are more proactive in enhancing and protecting dark skies...The power to make change happen is at local council level.”
Sandberg’s hope, meanwhile, is that at a personal level we above all open our eyes to natural darkness. “One researcher I have been talking to said, ‘Imagine what it would be like if everyone thought a bit more about, and was a bit more conscious of, their exposure to darkness and light. If that were the case, I think we could save a lot of resources and mitigate a lot of suffering.’”

An Ode To Darkness by Sigri Sandberg

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-...g-sleep-health/

Last edited by Demi : Mon, Oct-07-19 at 04:07.