Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 09:32
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Here's their misguided serving info:

Grains (Bread, Cereal, Rice, & Pasta): 6 to 11 servings/day
This group is the critical base of the Food Guide Pyramid because it gives you carbohydrates, the main source of fuel for your body. Here you also find fiber, B-vitamins, and iron. Don't be fooled by the "All carbs are bad" mantra. Yes, it's true that many of us eat far too many of the sugary type of carbohydrates. But good quality, whole grain, "complex" breads, cereals, pastas, and other enriched carbohydrates are an essential part of a healthy diet.

If unsure of a labeled product, a serving would equal any portion that is about 80 calories. Aim for about one half of your grain foods to be whole grains to get the best quality from them. More fiber in your diet means more vitamins and minerals, plus a decreased risk of cancer. High fiber foods also stay in your stomach longer, keeping you from getting hungry so soon. Be cautious of some starchy snack foods that are loaded with fat (like chips, doughnuts, bakery muffins, and many crackers).

1 serving =
1 slice of bread
½ Cup (C.) cooked grains, pasta, rice, etc.
1 C. of most cold cereal
¼ C. low fat granola, Grape Nuts, Muesli
½ C. hot cereal
3-4 C. low fat microwave popcorn
½ large flour tortilla
6 saltine crackers
½ hamburger roll or small bagel
¼ of a large muffin or bagel
½ 6" pita

Vegetable Group: 3 to 5 servings/day
Vegetables are a terrific source of many nutrients. Aim for the most color you can in all your vegetables--that will guarantee the most vitamins, minerals, and cancer-preventative substances. Cancer prevention is why the recommended number of vegetable servings has recently risen. Vegetables are also very high in fiber and low in calories. Adding several slices of green pepper to your salad will give you more vitamin C than a glass of orange juice.

If you're not fond of the taste of the steamed vegetables served alone, you can always add a half cup of them to pasta sauce. Another suggestion is to microwave the broccoli from the salad bar, then add your own seasonings.

1 serving =
½ C. cooked vegetables
1 C. vegetable juice
1 C. raw vegetables

Fruit Group: 2 to 4 servings/day
Whole fruits are a very important source of fiber (most juices contain very little fiber). Citrus fruits, berries, and melons will give you a lot of vitamin C. Unless fruits have had extra sugar added, they are generally low in calories, but keep in mind that even the "natural sugar" of fruit juices can add up fast if you are quenching your thirst with fruit juice. Plain water is usually your best bet.

1 serving =
1 piece of medium fruit (e.g., apple, orange, peach)
½ piece of large fruit (e.g., banana, grapefruit)
½ C. of cooked or dried pieces of fruit
½ C. of fruit juice (unsweetened)

Milk, Yogurt, & Cheese Group: 3 to 4 servings/day

This food group is the most dependable source of calcium in your diet. This is a big concern currently, as the rates of osteoporosis (severe bone degeneration often resulting in hip and other fractures) are increasing. What is known is that women have a "window of time" up until your early to mid-twenties to get your bones up to what is called a "peak bone mass." After that time a woman's bone density remains fairly stable until menopause, when actual bone loss usually begins to take place. New recommendations for calcium intake for women at college age have gone up. You now need to take in the equivalent of four servings of low fat dairy products per day.

We recommend that you take a calcium supplement (with added vitamin D to help the bones absorb the calcium), and then get three servings from this food group over the course of the day. Calcium supplements are available at Health Services pharmacy. By the way, men are not immune to osteoporosis in later years. It is not as commonly seen, as most men are not restricting dairy products in their teen years as much as young women are, and men don't have the hormone changes in later life that women do.

If you have a lactose intolerance, or the inability to digest regular milk, you can use low lactose or non-lactose milk products, or a calcium-fortified soy product (be sure it has added vitamin D). People with lactose intolerance should be able to eat yogurts because the lactose has already been broken down into simpler sugars, which can be digested. They may be able to digest some lactose (smaller amounts of regular milk, especially along with a meal). Taking special tablets, such as Lactaid, just before a meal with dairy products can enable you to go out with friends for a pizza or for an ice cream cone without feeling sick afterwards.

1 serving =
8 oz., or 1 C. of milk or yogurt
1-1/2 oz. hard cheese; lower-fat versions are recommended (you will need to read labels or check with Food Services)
½ C. cottage cheese, low fat

Meats, Poultry, Fish, Dry Beans, Eggs, & Nuts Group: 2 to 3 servings/day
It is recommended that you eat red meat no more than about 3 times a week; look for leaner versions of meats and poultry. Look for foods in this group that are prepared without a lot of extra grease or gravies the majority of the time.

1 serving =
3 oz. meat, poultry, or fish. 3 ounces is about the size of a deck of cards or the palm of your hand.
½ C. cooked beans, legumes or nuts
2 eggs or 4 egg whites

Fats and Oils : 2 to 3 servings/day
Along with sweets, fats and oils are found in the tip of the Food Guide Pyramid, indicating they are to be eaten in moderation. Although no specific number of servings is recommended, it is absolutely necessary that you eat at least some fat or oils in moderate amounts to maintain energy and health. We recommend that for a healthier heart, most of your fats be mono unsaturated fats, coming from such foods as olive oil, olives, nuts and seeds, peanut butter, and other liquid oils. Keep your intake of animal fats, such as dairy fat (as in butter, cheese, and whole milk), high fat meats and cold cuts on the low side. "Trans" fatty acids should be especially avoided. These are found in foods in which a liquid oil has been made solid (the ingredients label will usually list this as a "hydrogenated oil"). Margarine is a food that commonly uses this ingredient, unless it says otherwise. Saturated fats and transfatty acids are known to raise cholesterol levels, a recognized risk factor for heart disease.

1 serving =
1 tsp. oil, butter or margarine
2 tsp. Tahini paste
1 Tbsp. regular salad dressing

Sweets
Also found in the tip of the Food Guide Pyramid, these foods supply energy, but little or no nutrients. Enjoy these foods as occasional treats unless you are a high powered athlete who really needs extra calories to burn!

_________

FYI, my nutrition program also calculates starchy veggies (ie. corn, potatoes, yams) as Starch/Bread, not veggies.

Last edited by wcollier : Wed, Apr-23-03 at 09:35.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 10:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Grains (Bread, Cereal, Rice, & Pasta): 6 to 11 servings/day

1 serving =
1 slice of bread
½ Cup (C.) cooked grains, pasta, rice, etc.
1 C. of most cold cereal
¼ C. low fat granola, Grape Nuts, Muesli
½ C. hot cereal
3-4 C. low fat microwave popcorn
½ large flour tortilla
6 saltine crackers
½ hamburger roll or small bagel
¼ of a large muffin or bagel
½ 6" pita

Byt their definition of serving...I get 0 servings/day normally. I will ocassionaly have 1 serving of Reduced Carb Bread, though.

Quote:
Vegetable Group: 3 to 5 servings/day

1 serving =
½ C. cooked vegetables
1 C. vegetable juice
1 C. raw vegetables

Perhaps someone should show this to the folks that say we don't get enough Veggies. By their definition of serving, I had 8 servings of (non-starchy) veggies yesterday, twice their recomendation.

Quote:
Fruit Group: 2 to 4 servings/day

1 serving =
1 piece of medium fruit (e.g., apple, orange, peach)
½ piece of large fruit (e.g., banana, grapefruit)
½ C. of cooked or dried pieces of fruit
½ C. of fruit juice (unsweetened)

I get 0 servings right now. But, I plan to add 1 serving of berries back to my diet soon.

Quote:
Milk, Yogurt, & Cheese Group: 3 to 4 servings/day

1 serving =
8 oz., or 1 C. of milk or yogurt
1-1/2 oz. hard cheese; lower-fat versions are recommended (you will need to read labels or check with Food Services)
½ C. cottage cheese, low fat

I have 3 servings a day of Dairy (other than milk)...more when I use Heavy Cream.

Quote:
Meats, Poultry, Fish, Dry Beans, Eggs, & Nuts Group: 2 to 3 servings/day

1 serving =
3 oz. meat, poultry, or fish. 3 ounces is about the size of a deck of cards or the palm of your hand.
½ C. cooked beans, legumes or nuts
2 eggs or 4 egg whites

There ain't no way I could eat that little amount of meat. 3 oz. = 1 serving. Who are they kidding. I eat more than 3 oz., just from the fat. I get about 10-12 servings a day by their definition.

Quote:
Fats and Oils : 2 to 3 servings/day

1 serving =
1 tsp. oil, butter or margarine
2 tsp. Tahini paste
1 Tbsp. regular salad dressing

1 tsp. of Butter ??? I cook Hamburger and Steak in more than that. I cook all my meats in 2-3 tbsp. (6-9 servings) of Butter. That doesn't even include the oil I use on occassion.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 11:01
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by cc48510
... Fruit Group: 2 to 4 servings/day ...

I get 0 servings right now. But, I plan to add 1 serving of berries back to my diet soon.

The following FRUITS are permitted on Induction:
  • tomatoes
    avocadoes
    bell peppers
    chili peppers
    eggplant
    zucchini
    cucumbers
    tomatillos
    olives

Doreen
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 11:04

BF:

How's this one ???

#20   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 11:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T
The following FRUITS are permitted on Induction:
  • tomatoes
    avocadoes
    bell peppers
    chili peppers
    eggplant
    zucchini
    cucumbers
    tomatillos
    olives

Doreen

I didn't realize some of those were Fruits. Anyways, I've gone on to OWL now. So, I can have berries and other Low-GI Fruits. I love berries. When I would spend my summers in the mountains...we'd pick them fresh and eat them.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 11:17
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
I didn't realize some of those were Fruits.

Many people don't. It's my favourite retort to the nay-sayers and "experts" who like to remind me how unhealthy low-carbing is because we "can't eat fruits"

On the subject of fruits, the sweet kind that we typically think of ... although they're wonderful and delicious and I love 'em, truly there is no essential nutrient in fruit that isn't also plentiful in vegetables. Vitamin C, fiber, potassium, phytonutrients ... if you eat a variety of veggies, you'll get plenty of these, and more.

my 2¢

Doreen
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 11:27
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

I always knew that fruits had seeds, but that rule has largely been ignored and the "sweet" test always seems to be used to define fruit now.

Thanks Doreen for the reminder.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 14:49

Plan: atkins-modified
Stats: 228/185/154 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Like many of you, I was disgusted and appalled by the 'healthy' guidelines issued by the Sugar industry. 25% ?????? And then threatening to pressurise the US to pull out of supporting the WHO??

When this came on the TV news, my mother in law was saying that she ate no sugar, so I got some things out of the larder to show her. like sieved tomatoes, leek and potato soup and breakfast cereal (non sugared) Even these relatively innocent foods (for the rest of my family, I hasten to add) ranged from 11% to 24% sugar, mostly naturally occuring. She said she ate muesli, so I got that out ..31%....
With those figures, you can see how easy it would be to get to the 25% those b*****ds are saying is really great.

Sometimes it seems the world is mad. If any of you have any contacts, please use them to register your concern about this wicked and blatent use of power to make money at the expense of the poorest and most vulnerable.