Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-02, 06:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/208/185 Male 5'11"
BF:30
Progress: 52%
Default Drinking to excess every now and again

I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and I'm coming to grips with it. I've mourned the loss of some of my favorite foods (pizza) and moved on to LCing. I'm not having too many problems with that so far. However, the big question mark for me is whether I need to give up my occasional nights out with friends where the alcohol is flowing freely. Aside from alcohol giving me food cravings, I think I can manage that (even when I'm drunk), are there any repercussions drinking has with regard to diabetes. I don't really enjoy or need alcohol when I'm out doing my own thing, but it is a real pleasure for me with friends. I could cut it out if I had to, but I'm not sure if it's necessary. Any advice?

Tom
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-02, 10:12

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Tom!

First of all, are you taking any medications for your diabetes? If you are taking Glucophage, it's recommended that you do not drink alcohol while you are taking it. I did that once while I was taking Glucophage and only had a couple of light beers but I got sick as a dog from it.
Second, alcohol can have a negative effect on your blood sugars. If you are taking insulin or a drug that stimulates insulin production, alcohol can cause hypoglycemia by inhibiting the conversion of protein to glucose in the liver through gluconeogenesis.
If you're not taking any medications, occasional alcohol in moderation will probably not be a problem for your diabetes (other than the empty calories), but be aware that your body will burn alcohol for fuel in preference to fat, so when you drink and even for a few days afterwards fat burning can be put on hold. You may even experience some weight gain through the dehydration and subsequent water retention that alcohol can cause.
One more word of caution; many people find that when they switch to low carb, alcohol hits them much harder and faster than it used to, so please be careful and make sure that you drink plenty of water when you do drink to offset the dehydration or you could find yourself with one of the worst hangovers of your life!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-02, 10:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/208/185 Male 5'11"
BF:30
Progress: 52%
Default That's good news

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the information. I didn't think it was a problem, but I wasn't sure if I was missing something. I'm not on meds so I think I can indulge once every blue moon if I feel like it.

Thanks,

Tom
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 05:27

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Michelob Ultra is very low-carb beer, new on the market.