Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 10:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Nice loss in a week (and a day)! You've been pretty stalled before?
You're not doing coconut oil and your Serum K. has been that high?
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 11:03

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Nice loss in a week (and a day)! You've been pretty stalled before?

Thanks.

I've been slowly going upward for a couple of years now. I'd gain a little and plateau, then gain a bit more and plateau. I was about 236 at the beginning of July. I was around 228 to 230 in January, I think. So, it's going to be a while before I believe anything real is happening here. If the loss remains as good as this, and I hit 220 - which I haven't seen in probably two years despite periodic efforts to tighten up the diet - maybe I'll believe it. (I got within striking distance of 200 in 2009, then it slipped away from me. Everything I've tried since then seems to make me gain not lose. I've really become afraid to try anything new.)

I stopped the coconut oil on Tuesday - two days after that .7 reading. I'll be measuring again on Sunday, so we'll see. I've ordered a box of strips (10 whole strips per box!), so I'll be testing more frequently in the future. But I'm not sure how frequently.
  #198   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 12:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Costello, that is wonderful! I am so glad it is working for you! Yes, it takes tracking, there is no way you can get the balance if you don't track and I think it really makes me appreciate the food and the amounts I eat now.

Hurrah to you for trying it and being so diligent.

It will be interesting to see the next ketone number with no coconut oil. I am still taking mine.
  #199   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 22:14

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Arlene, since you suggested I post it, I received my ketone meter in the mail and tested .6 so glad to confirm I really was in ketosis. But I'm going to keep using mostly urine ketone test strips to save money so won't be posting more results.

Last edited by Zei : Thu, Aug-09-12 at 22:21.
  #200   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-12, 08:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
Arlene, since you suggested I post it, I received my ketone meter in the mail and tested .6 so glad to confirm I really was in ketosis. But I'm going to keep using mostly urine ketone test strips to save money so won't be posting more results.

It is really nice to get it confirmed. What color do you usually get on your strips and when do you test? Good information for others to know.
  #201   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-12, 08:05

BF:

DAY 26 August 10, 2012
Weight 149.4*
Glucose 85
Ketones 1.1

Food facts later

*This is after eating more carbs, still under 50 net, and what I consider my maintenance level of calories. I have been wary of increasing the number of carbs in my day, I am still new at this, almost a year of eating this way and still so much to learn, but this is the perfect time to explore increasing my carbs and watching glucose and ketones.

I had my regular snack of coconut oil, shredded coconut and macadamias last night, and I was not hungry. Exercise makes me hungry. That is an interesting conundrum. If you exercise, you can supposedly increase the number of calories, but I find, for me, that I need them only when I exercise! I will not stop exercising, lifting weights and walking because it keeps my body strong and flexible, but I do not expect to lose weight because of it. That myth is gone from my head now.

Tuesday I am going on a short trip, to Vegas, and will eat with attention to my choices, but probably will partake in a few things I do not eat at home. I know I can come home and get back to where I want to be in a few days. This is also valuable information.

Last edited by Aradasky : Fri, Aug-10-12 at 14:45.
  #202   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-12, 09:01

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradasky
It is really nice to get it confirmed. What color do you usually get on your strips and when do you test? Good information for others to know.

With the .6 blood ketone measurement the first morning urine measurement (representing about four hours' collection after night time bathroom break) was in the "moderate" (40) range on my brand of strips, Walmart Reli-On. But after a drink of water, then blood testing and checking the unrine strip again just to make sure, it had gone down to "trace" (5) but blood test clearly showed ketosis still going on. So I'm taking the liberty of assuming if I get darker urine test strip colors it's pretty likely I'm in ketosis and can save money not using the more accurate but expensive blood testing.
  #203   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-12, 10:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
With the .6 blood ketone measurement the first morning urine measurement (representing about four hours' collection after night time bathroom break) was in the "moderate" (40) range on my brand of strips, Walmart Reli-On. But after a drink of water, then blood testing and checking the unrine strip again just to make sure, it had gone down to "trace" (5) but blood test clearly showed ketosis still going on. So I'm taking the liberty of assuming if I get darker urine test strip colors it's pretty likely I'm in ketosis and can save money not using the more accurate but expensive blood testing.

Interesting. I should go get some and test along with the rest of my strips....
  #204   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-12, 12:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
So I'm taking the liberty of assuming if I get darker urine test strip colors it's pretty likely I'm in ketosis and can save money not using the more accurate but expensive blood testing.

I would assume that too. The question comes when you have a light urine test surely. You can be in ketosis and have it not show.

I'll be using the more expensive strips (unless I come to think that this diet won't help me lose weight). I'll probably use them more intensively early on while I try to figure out what keeps me in ketosis and what knocks me out. Then I'll discontinue them or use them less frequently.
  #205   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-12, 14:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
I would assume that too. The question comes when you have a light urine test surely. You can be in ketosis and have it not show.

I'll be using the more expensive strips (unless I come to think that this diet won't help me lose weight). I'll probably use them more intensively early on while I try to figure out what keeps me in ketosis and what knocks me out. Then I'll discontinue them or use them less frequently.

Very good use of the strips in my opinion.
  #206   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-12, 17:47

Plan: Optimal Ketogenic Living
Stats: 214.8/167.4/170 Female 5ft 6in
BF:restart 4/14-215
Progress: 106%

Arlene

While you are on your trip will you be restricting your carbs or will you need to get back into ketosis when you return?

I hope you have a great trip.
  #207   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-12, 21:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittenann
Arlene

While you are on your trip will you be restricting your carbs or will you need to get back into ketosis when you return?

I hope you have a great trip.

Thank you! I will make great choices and I hope not to have to get back into ketosis. I can eat well and not eat carbs or grains.....

However, if I do fall out, I can see how long it takes me again! Don't really want to tho, I like it here. I have been hungry only two times today.
  #208   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-12, 06:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

Ok, I tested again this morning. I was going to wait until tomorrow, but I got a box of 10 in the mail, so I'm feeling rich. I couldn't resist using the second free one that came with the meter.

I've been a regular coconut oil user for many years, putting a bit over 1 tablespoon in my coffee in the morning. I tested at .7 last Sunday.

Then, to find out if the CO was artificially elevating my ketones, I discontinued the CO. My last consumption was Monday morning.

My serum ketone reading this morning was 2.2.

(Unfortunately my weight was up a pound this morning, reinforcing my idea that I can't lose weight! And my fasting blood glucose was about the same at 107. I may ultimately decide this isn't the answer for me either. For now I'll stay the course and test ketones more frequently.)
  #209   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-12, 08:09

BF:

Did not update last night so I lost the right to edit so it is repeated here with facts.

DAY 26 August 10, 2012
Weight 149.4*
Glucose 85
Ketones 1.1

1522 calories (again, no real exercise and NOT hungry)
28 g carbs (15 g Net)
79 g protein (I had bacon, eggs and 6.5oz of tuna)
126 g fat (should have put olive oil on salad, will next time and that will take calories up)

*This is after eating more carbs, still under 50 net, and what I consider my maintenance level of calories. I have been wary of increasing the number of carbs in my day, I am still new at this, almost a year of eating this way and still so much to learn, but this is the perfect time to explore increasing my carbs and watching glucose and ketones.

I had my regular snack of coconut oil, shredded coconut and macadamias last night, and I was not hungry. Exercise makes me hungry. That is an interesting conundrum. If you exercise, you can supposedly increase the number of calories, but I find, for me, that I need them only when I exercise! I will not stop exercising, lifting weights and walking because it keeps my body strong and flexible, but I do not expect to lose weight because of it. That myth is gone from my head now.

Tuesday I am going on a short trip, to Vegas, and will eat with attention to my choices, but probably will partake in a few things I do not eat at home. I know I can come home and get back to where I want to be in a few days. This is also valuable information.
  #210   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-12, 08:11

BF:

DAY 27 August 11, 2012
Weight 149.4 *
I purchased some urine strips and will see what they say along with blood tests. Tested urine early AM (before anything to eat or drink) said I was trace.
Just tested blood:
Glucuse 87
Ketones 1.2
Urine strip Trace (I think these may be valuable in the beginning for some, but are unreliable)

1642 Calories
43 g carbs (30 g net)
72 g protein
136 g fat

*Hmmm, I thought I had lost at least an ounce! LOL For the past two days, I purposely drank 1 gallon of water plus coffee and diet soda. Today, I am drinking to thirst… We are going out to dinner so I am not going to eat my cantaloupe today, will tomorrow.

Last edited by Aradasky : Sun, Aug-12-12 at 06:00.