Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 10:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile yet another Atkins Refugee

I gave into my cravings this weekend and boy, what I surprise when I stepped on my scale this morning! 8 pound gain! yikes! I've lost about 30 pounds on Atkins but have waffled between the same 10 since October.

So, obviously, I can't keep my CA in check, so it's time to try this.

I noticed that the Hellers say that this is a low fat diet as well as low carb. Has anyone not treated this as a low-fat diet, per se? I've become so afraid of the term "low-fat" and the horrible tasteless things that come with it, that I'm worried that I won't be able to follow this WOE properly.

Last edited by delilah : Tue, May-20-03 at 10:04.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 12:23

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

I apparently missed the low-fat thing. I eat plenty of tasty food. I don't slather unnecessary fats on things, and use healthy oils, not margarines, etc., but olive oil is a staple, my bread is worth having with butter and dessert is the making life fun again. I believe that fats are to be kept at 2 tbs. at CM's, but really, that's quite a bit, at least for me.

Hope you enjoy this. Many of us think it has been a great gift. Hope you feel the same.

Good luck and welcome,
Deb
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 13:34

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Cool Hi Delilah

Welcome to CAD

I have never read or heard anything about the Hellers saying that CAD is meant to be low fat. Fats are allowed at CM's, such as butter, oils, mayo or salad dressing. Fatty things such as bacon are allowed as well. And of course, there is no limit on fat at your Reward Meal. I use butter to cook my eggs, regular salad dressing, and my RM always includes fat in one form or another, although, like Deb, I don't slather it on.

CAD can be a really wonderful way to live, if it is followed carefully. I hope it works well for you. Feel free to nose around journals and ask all the questions you want

Tracy
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 16:23

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

Delilah,

I believe that you might be referring to one of the the many options suggested in th CALP (Carbohydrate Addicts Life Plan) book by the same authors. There is NO fat restriction on CAD!!
Welcome and ENJOY!!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 16:36

BF:
Talking

thanks everyone! :wave

Oh, I was referring to the introduction on page 29 of CAD:

Quote:
In general, we direct our dieters to eat two high-fiber, low-fat, low carbohydrate meals each day...

and they've mentioned the low-fat thing in a couple of other places. Of course, the menu they provide isn't really low-fat as I know it from the low-fat days, just balanced.

But so far, on day one, I can't complain! Went and had my salad and then had a yummy cheeseburger and then couldn't resist nibbling on a brownie. A little carb heavy, but this is day one, after all It felt sooo naughty!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 13:15

BF:
Default so, Delilah...

How's it going?

No journal in site for you, so I thought I would just ask you here.

Hope all is well, keep in touch.

Tracy
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 14:14

BF:

Oh, well, I haven't gained anything yet, which is good!! Unfortunately, that 8 pound gain from the weekend is still intact, so I'm guessing it wasn't water weight. Oh well.

Went to the Dr. yesterday and got the usual harrangue about how low-carb diets are bad. AGGGH!!! One of these days, I'll learn not to open my big mouth in front of the Dr.!

Pigged out for my lunchtime RM lunch today, but yesterday was very healthy and balanced. Salad and cherries! Yum! I'm still in a state of disbelief of "I can really have this??" And made my first whipped cream last night, by hand... and figured that was my workout for the day!!

I was a little confused about the salad requirements. For the entry diet, you're supposed to have a salad before your RM, plus a 2-cup salad before each CM, right? At least, I remember the book mentioning something about having a small salad before each meal, but some of the diet plans also require a salad. So, how are you guys managing your salads? Should I not be too concerned about how much salad I should take in, just so long as I try to balance?

Thanks for your help, everyone! I'm still a bit nervous that I might be the one for whom this doesn't work, but i'm loving it so far!

#8   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 16:19

BF:
Default hi again :)

hmmm..I don't have my book in front of me, since I left it at work. But, as far as I remember... some of the plans call for a salad before the rm, some don't and none of them call for a salad before any cm's. Mind you, you can have salad FOR your CMs, I do, for lunch, every day with some sort of protein. But you don't have to have it as well as the CM. CM's are protein and veggies from the CM-allowable list, whether they are cooked or raw, in a salad or not.

I have a salad sometimes for dinner, sometimes not. Like, tonight I had coleslaw, then broccoli for dinner... which is not on the approved LC list, but is pretty ok. That is about the best I do. Plus protein and some carbs, of course!

You can check out my journal if you want, I record my food daily.

take care, seeya around (subliminal message encoded here: start a journal!)

Tracy
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 17:51

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

on pg 95 "...your complimentary meals should consist of average servings (3 to 4 oz) of meat fish or fowl, or two oz of cheese, and roughly 2 cups of vegetaqbles or salad."

I never eat vegies at breakfast, I have a few slices of meat or a couple of eggs. For lunch it is meat and salad. I can't even imagine eating a salad or vegies at 5:30 in the am!!!!

You know that you are right, the Hellers keep saying low fat in CMs but then don't give many low fat choices or examples.

Last edited by dcbrowne : Thu, May-22-03 at 17:52.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 05:01

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 238/193/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

If it makes you feel any better My Doctor is COMPLETELY all for Low carb diets. She believes in them 100 percent and doesnt have any fear about them as long as they are done right, the way the author intended. Actually I shouldnt say that... because I have only discussed Atkins because that was what I was on at the time.

Anyway, when A doctor tells you something, I know it puts self doubts in your head.. he has a phd. he MUST know. So I just wanted to let you know that this is definately not something the medical establishment agrees on anymore

Jaden
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 06:06

Plan: CAD with a few modificati
Stats: 193/141/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

If you really are looking for a morning vegetable, I have had cucumbers in the morning and it doesn't turn me off. I have an egg, a couple of pieces of bacon, and a quarter of a cucumber. It's really not bad.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 09:53

BF:

That's a good idea, about the cucumbers! I often don't have time to have breakfast in the morning, so I munch during the morning at work (ok, ok if I didn't sleep in, I'd have time for breakfast!! ). So, cucumbers are nice and easy, and with the weather as warm as it is now... Which makes me wonder: how long is a normal CM meal anyway? Breakfasts I normally take a long time about, almost to the extent that they're a bunch of mini snacks strung together. The RW lunch is easy to do, but I usually have a hard time eating the CM dinner, since I'm so satiated at lunch! Trying to force myself to eat it, but some nights, it just doesn't happen. Did this happen to the rest of you?

*giggles at subliminal messaging* I thought that Fitday was going to do it, but since I'm not measuring everything at the RM, I think that the journal might work better now. I'll start one soon, promise!

And, happily, I lost 2 pounds (averaged!) this week. Yay!

thanks so much for your support, everyone!