Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 04:03

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 280/265/160 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%
Talking My New York Style Cheesecake (Bakery Style)

OK, you need to make your own crust, as I don't know of a low-carb one myself. This is the exact cheesecake I used to make in my bakery I used to own back in Missouri. We actually sold these puppies over the net for years until I sold the bakery and we moved to NM. Of course the ones we sold had real sugar in them. I am assuming that 1 cup of Splenda equals 1 cup of regular sugar. If this is correct then the recipe should be ok, but if not then I need someone to tell me what the actual ratio would be, if you wouldn't mind please. I haven't really tried this yet, as I am still on induction but if the ratios for Splenda and sugar are correct then it should work just fine.

Ingredients:
2 lbs Cream Cheese, room temp
1 cup Splenda
4 egg whites, room temp
4 egg yolks, room temp
1 cup sour cream, room temp
2 tespoons vanilla extract

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.

Prepare your crust if you are using one. I always used to bake my crust for about 10 minutes and then let it cool before pouring my batter in. But then we liked a crispy crust, as did my customers. I always used and still do use a Spring Form pan, as it makes it much easier to remove. Be sure to spray your pan with non-stick spray before pouring your cheesecake batter in.

Cream the cream cheese and Splenda together until smooth. Add the 4 egg yolks and mix it thoroughly. (If one wanted to they could add just a bit of Guar Gum for a setting agent, but it is not necessary since this is a baked cheesecake.) Add the vanilla and sour cream and mix in thoroughly.

Whip the egg whites until thick and almost stiff. (If they get stiff, it is not that big of a deal really.) Egg whites whip better if they are room temperature and the utensils are room temperature.

Fold the whipped egg whites into the cream mixture carefully so as to not lose too uch of the volume.

Pour the batter into prepared Spring Form pan. Now raise the pan up about 6 inches or so and drom it flat onto the counter. Do this 3 or 4 times. This helps to get out the air bubbles. Just be careful not to spill your wonderful cheesecake.

To bake this you need to place your Spring Form pan into a pan that it can fit inside of. The you want to place that pan into another pan it can fit inside of. Pour hot water into the outer pan about half way up the pan. This your water bath and will help make your cheesecake much more creamy than otherwise.

Bake at 325 degrees for at least 1 hour and 30 minutes. You need to start checking on it after 1 hour 15 minutesd to make sure. You will want it set but not quite set in the very middle of the cake. If it has a touch of a jiggle to it, and I do mean just a bit of a jiggle right in the very middle...then it is done. Turn your oven off and crack the oven door. Now let it sit in there and cool, about a couple of hours. When it is cool enough that you can touch it with your bare hands, you can take it out. Now you can take your Spring Form pan out of the other pan and finish cooling completely on a wire rack. Hold on, you are not done yet! Once it is completely cooled, you need to cover the Spring Form pan with some plastic wrap and let it sit in the refrigerator a minimum of 6 hours, much better if it is left in there overnight. It will finish jelling and setting up in your refrigerator. The next day take it out and take the plastic wrap off. Now undo the Spring on the pan and carefully lift if off the cheesecake. Voila, you are done!!! It is up to you if you wish to transfer it to something else or you can just leave it on the bottom of the Spring Form pan as your platter.

I would be willing to bet that one could just make the batter up and pour it into prepared dishes of any kind for personal servings, but the nutritional count I have for this is from cutting it into 12 slices. Also, this nutritional account is only for the filling and no crust. If you make a crust, you will have to remember to add that in for your carb count.

This is my favorite cheesecake recipe that I developed because we love New York Style. We made 45 different kinds of cheesecakes in our bakery. One of the best selling was the Cappaccino one we made with a dark chocolate topping.

Nutrition Breakdown for the whole Cheesecake:

Calories: 4290
Total Fat: 407
Sat: 249
Poly: 17
Mono: 117
Total Carbs: 65
Fiber: 0
Protein: 102

Nutrition Breakdown per Serving (1/12th)

Calories: 358
Total Fat: 34
Sat: 21
Poly: 1
Mono: 10
Total Carbs: 5
Fiber: 0
Protein: 9

Please let me know how you like it if any of you try it.

GQ
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 04:18

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 280/265/160 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%
Red face The pan size!! DUH!!!

This is enough batter to fill a 10" round Spring Form pan that is at least 3" high.

GQ
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 05:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Here is a pie crust that I use for my CHeesecakes.

Almond Pie Pastry

1 1/4 cups almond flour
1 Pkt Splenda
1/4 tea salt
4 tbsp butter, cut into pieces
1 tbsp water

Combine almond flour, Splenda and salt in a mixing bowl, cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in water, mixing lightly with a fork until dough is formed. Refrigerate until ready to use.

For a Pre Baked Pie Shell Bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes

Makes pastry for 9-in pie.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 16:01

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I just tried the batter only (I know you're not supposed to eat raw eggs, but I couldn't resist) and it is DELICIOUS. I used 24 packets of Splenda. I will let you all know how it comes out baked. I've never baked a cheesecake before.

I love NY-style cheesecake...seeing as I'm from New Jersey.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 09:18

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Back again to say this was a VERY good cheesecake texture-wise. I wasn't sure how much Splenda to add. I sort of remembered seeing "24 packets" on someone else's recipe so that's how many I added. I think I might have needed a packet or two less because at that point it gets a sort of bitter taste. Does anybody have any other ideas on this?

That said...the texture was GORGEOUS and it really did taste like NY-style cheesecake. I'm so glad I made this recipe. I froze some so that I can have a piece when I want it without feeling like I have to eat the whole thing at once...not that I didn't want to!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 18:13
Registered Member

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 270/175/175 Female 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Glendora ~ Here's a conversion chart that tells you how many packets are to the granular:

Splenda Packets vs. Pourable

1 C = 16 T = 48 tsp = 24 packets
3/4 C = 12 T = 36 tsp = 18 packets
1/2 C = 8 T = 24 tsp = 12 packets
1/3 C = 5.3T = 16 tsp = 8 packets
1/4 C = 4T = 12 tsp = 6 packets
1/8 C = 2T = 6 tsp = 3 packets
1T = 3 tsp = 1.5 packet

I'm sorry as I don't have any tips for the Splenda having an 'off' taste. You used the correct amount accoring to the above chart.

GQueen ~ I have (what may be an ignorant) question if you'll indulge me... Can you tell me what texture constitutes a NY Cheesecake? I only ask because I've tried some recipes and they taste (texture-wise) the same as "Non-NY" Ch.Cakes...

A friend sent me one of Jr's ChCakes from QVC and I loved the texture of it. It was dry and dense, not light & fluffy. I had it in my mind that this is what a NY CC tastes like (the drier, dense texture). Is this correct do you think? Thanks for any help with this .. because I'm on a quest to duplicate the texture of Jr's CC. *Ü*
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-05, 14:51

Stats: 179/160/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Question re measures?

OK, I know this sounds ignorant, but I've forgotten--is 2 pounds of cream cheese equal to 4 eight-once packages of cream cheese? (so a pound is 16 ounces)?
This recipe looks awesome.
Datahamstr
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-05, 23:48

Plan: Atkins - Modified
Stats: 330/330/280 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Yes data, that is correct 2lbs = (4) 8oz pkgs.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-05, 23:50

Plan: Atkins - Modified
Stats: 330/330/280 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Aren't NY cheesecakes really dense? And french cheesecakes are a bit on the light side? I'm actually making a LC cheesecake this weekend but will be using a 15oz container of ricotta w/ 8oz of cream cheese. I found its actually cheaper to use ricotta since walmart carries their own brand for 1.36 for 15oz (vs. $2.14 for 16oz cream cheese). Will also be adding sour cream. Am going to use a thin brazil nut crust.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-05, 06:31

Stats: 257/248.5/125 Female 62 inches
BF:Way too much
Progress: 6%

Another easy "crust" is to just put some pecans or walnuts in a food processor until they are finely chpped, spray the pan with PAM and then coat the pan with the nuts (the way you would if you were greasing and coating with flour to make a cake).

My husband loves NY cheese cake, so I think I will make this for him on his 50th birthday next month.

Here's a kitchen disaster story: I made a NY cheese cake for hubby's birthday a few years ago and, as the recipe says, put it under the broiler for to brown the top after it was baked, but I looked away for a MINUTE (I swear, just one minute) and it actually caught on fire, black smoke coming out of my oven. I threw the whole mess in the garbage, went to the store for more ingredients and made another one.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 16:27
Registered Member

Stats: 232/167/135 Female 5ft 2in
BF:
Progress:

i made a cheese cake at Christmas time from the directions on the cream cheese package, Substituting splenda for sugar.I found an easy way to make a crust is crumbled up Low carb shortbread cookies, splenda and butter.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-12, 22:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 285/158/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocreep
Yes data, that is correct 2lbs = (4) 8oz pkgs.

OMG is that Picard flipping the bird? Where did you find that?
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-12, 22:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 285/158/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I am from NY and Juniors is the gold standard, i heard they had a sugar free version, is this what your friend sent? Texture of NY cake should be dense, creamy and smooth. I made one recently, used 1/2c splenda,1/2c poly-d, and a few drops of liquid splenda. In addition I also added a box of vanilla sugar free pudding, the crazy part was putting it on a trivet and making it in my crock pot. So creamy.The trick, add enough water so as not to touch the pan, and cover top of cake with foil.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-12, 01:05

Stats: 280/219/145 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 45%

Use sf syrup in place of the granular splenda and you'll cut out 24 carbs from this recipe. Adding a tsp of both vanilla and lemon juice makes it even better. I don't find it actually needs a crust to be honest...much better without...and way less carbs.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-26-13, 21:21
Registered Member

Stats: 236/210/195 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 63%

I am trying this recipe tonight, now going to pour it into my foam pan and prepare my hot water bath for baking. Excited. I hope it comes out great.