Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 18:42
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default This water retention is depressing (perimenopause)

I'm pretty sure this is some hormonal thing, but I need someone to explain it to me. I'm 47 and every other month so far my period is about 2 weeks late. Before this every month I would gain about 3lbs with tom, never retained water otherwise that I noticed. For about 6 months the water retention has been about 7lbs and even my face swells up. Then my period didn't start, but the water weight would come off, then my period would be 2 weeks late and I swell up again. I've gained and lost 7lbs twice in one month, seemingly hormonal related. Completely depressed and almost don't want to weigh anymore.

Why is this happening and how do I fix it? How long is it going to go on? Are there any other women with this here?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 19:16

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/179/150 Female 65 inches
BF:that's the point.
Progress: 52%

I wish I had the answer for you cuz then I'd have the answer for myself on this one.

But I'll keep watching this thread to see if someone comes up with it.

Incidentally, my water retention became so bad I have to take Hydrochloroiso...what ever to deal with it. My ankles get so swollen. I am seeing a urologist to see what other problems may be hidden. But I'm with you. I want the water thing to stop.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 23:04

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 230/150/165 Female 69 inches
BF:22% (calipers)
Progress: 123%

Ditto - 47 with water retention that seems to last for weeks - can't predict if/when TOM might appear. Not much fun!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 00:41
Registered Member

We should start a club. I spent most of the evening reading no real good explanation, its all seems to be unpredicatable. I'm glad to see I may be normal at least. Thanks.

My dr said it is too much estrogen that causes bloating, relative to progesterone. I started using progesterone cream which helped my moods a lot, but it hasn't affected the water retention in fact its worse. But this book said it can take months of supplementation to get the full effect.

Does Dr. Atkins give any advice on this? Or Dr Eades?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 18:25

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Time will solve this problem and was the only thing that worked in my case. When I was 47 I stayed bloated with PMS symptoms for nearly 5 months, having periods spaced 2 weeks to 2 months apart! My breasts were so huge & painful that they felt like they might burst; I tried progesterone cream but it had no effect. But ~4 months after my last period (and a 2-year stall in fat/weightloss) the water and fat started falling off and I lost 60 lbs as I transitioned from peri to menopause.

Thankfully I kept LC even though I wasn't losing, otherwise I probably would have gained another 50 lbs.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 19:44
Registered Member

Deidra you are a ray of sunlight! I'm so glad to read of your experience and the happy ending at the end of it. 60lb weightloss is fantastic and a great reward for getting through the change! One day we'll be looking back on look on how plumped up and miserable we are right now.

Its funny how its all catching me by surprise.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-03-09, 10:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, that is a hopeful note, Deirdra! I'm totally stalled on weight loss, except to lower my calories drastically, so maybe once I get to the other side of menopause it might start up again.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-24-09, 17:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I find that I can control my edema (swollen ankles) by using natural sea salt. It can't be the white kind sold in most grocery stores. It should be grey and look like wet sand for the best results. For every qt of water you drink, take 1/4 tsp of sea salt.

What it does it replace the trace minerals and electrolytes that are lost by flushing your body with too much water.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-18, 18:43

Plan: not sure
Stats: 138/135/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
I'm pretty sure this is some hormonal thing, but I need someone to explain it to me. I'm 47 and every other month so far my period is about 2 weeks late. Before this every month I would gain about 3lbs with tom, never retained water otherwise that I noticed. For about 6 months the water retention has been about 7lbs and even my face swells up. Then my period didn't start, but the water weight would come off, then my period would be 2 weeks late and I swell up again. I've gained and lost 7lbs twice in one month, seemingly hormonal related. Completely depressed and almost don't want to weigh anymore.

Why is this happening and how do I fix it? How long is it going to go on? Are there any other women with this here?

Hi Nawchem,

I was just reading this thread from 2009. Did your perimenopausal water retention ever go away? I will be 50 in August and have been having water retention and bloating for 2 years. I am beginning to think this will never end. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Catherine
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-18, 19:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Dont be afraid to persue hormone replacement therapy. Just need to find the right doctors to support your choice to follow this route.
I am changing doctors again as Iam tired of fighting for a better life----when I am on low doses in balance with my own supply my outlook is better, my strength is better, and incontinence disappears.

Mentally we can use supports like st Johns wort, or SAMe. please do your research on these. While OTC, like all supplements they work because they have an effect, and like all meds, there can be a down side that you need to consider. Also Vt D3 and a bit of sunshine can lift your spirits as you work thru this new phase of your life.

Also check into Dr Christiane Northrup. I have one of her videos and it is hillarious!!! For us women, and on the dvd, a not for TV edition.....she is so truthful..... and supportive of womens helath.
She has a couple very good books, including one on menopause, which of course actually starts many years prior. lol

I still have hotflashes even at my stage of the game.... it is a process.