Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-13, 22:41
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/CKD Combo
Stats: 290/275/240 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress:
Default Recreating a popular childhood snack in low carb fashion!

I am sure many of you are familiar with cheese crisps like these,
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cheese_crisp.html

I tend to make mine in the microwave on parchment paper since it's quick and easy.

Some brands of american cheese puff up really nice, and have the taste/texture of a cheesy goldfish cracker.

I know some people use them as mock bread for sandwiches, so why not Peanut Butter!

Peanut butter on Cheese you say? Well yes. Why not? You've most likely had the very same combo many times in your life, in the form of these!

A salty, cheese flavored cracker with sweet creamy peanut butter! The combo sounds weird but if you've had those crackers you know it works!

Of course, I discovered I was out of American Cheese as I thought of this and I wasn't going to try it with Swiss, but the plan is to make the microwave cheese crisps and as soon as they are out of the microwave, before they harden, sprinkle some kosher salt on top.

Once they harden and get that cracker texture, flip them over to expose the nice flat surface underneath and spread a thin coat of the lowest carb peanut butter you can find on one side (I'll probably sweeten it a bit more with some splenda for a bit more salty/sweet flavor contrast). Top with other slice of cheese, and you just made a very low carb version of a childhood favorite!

I'll be running to the store tomorrow in order to give this a try, but figured I'd post it now in case anyone else want's to try it.
Sponsored Links