Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 05:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins to CALP
Stats: 223/206/155
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Scared to switch from Atkins, but...

I've lost 17 lbs in 17 days on Atkins, but feel it would be nice to know for a lifetime that I could have 60 minutes of carbs if I wanted them.

What stats do you all have who have changed? Does it really work?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 14:14

Plan: CAD + South Beach Diet
Stats: 230/177/160
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default gradually

switch slowly,

add fuit, then legumes, then grains.......etc. ......
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 02:49

Plan: The Atkins Diet
Stats: 149/142/120
BF:
Progress: 24%

I too am thinking of switching to the cad from the atkins. I have just completed my 2week induction, and although havent lost nearly as much as you, am consoling myself that due to lots of work at the gym have gained some muscle weight??? (I hope!)

I read yesterday about the CAD theory which allows the one meal per day including carbs. Also the fact that due to the other meals being carb free, you will find yourself very full very quickly, which I can agree with after feeling like I'd had a 5 course meal last night after eating 2 pieces of toast. (Savouring every morsel!!!)

I too would be interested on other peoples views who have switched as I do not want to undo what I have done. Also, keep in touch with how youre doing, maybe we could swap notes!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 04:43
Registered Member

BF:

Well, I guess I answered my own question here...I had my first 'reward meal' last Sat. night - did it all correctly, buy it led to 3 pieces of a delectable cake, glass of milk and a late nite spaghetti splurge on Sunday - not in 1 reward meal, but staggered over several hours.

I gained 8 pounds by Monday morning - guess I am totally carb sensitive and now know that it sets off sugar cravings...wish I'd stuck with Atkins.

So, back to Atkins and semi-induction...since Monday, I'm back in ketosis and trying real hard to get those darn 8 pounds lost again.

A tough lesson learned, and I've done quite a bit of soul searching over the whole thing.

I'm going on a French river cruise in late May and had wanted to do CAD while there, but I may not be able to.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 05:00

BF:

Oh Dear!!!! I dont think thats quite what they meant!!

Still try the CAD version, only still try to make sensible choices.
Your carbs are only supposed to make up a third of the meal (I think) Also the meal is only supposed to last a maximum of 1 hour.

I reckon we can do this. Just dont go crazy when it comes to the "free meal" and try to listen to your body when it is full. I can tell when this is now thanks to DR Atkins, all it is then is a matter of ignoring my taste buds, which of course would love more, but my bloated belly is managing to convince me otherwise and thats the way I intend to keep it.

Another way I am trying to keep track is that even during my free meal, I'm trying to keep my carbs on or around 40gm which is what Dr Atkins reccomends as average maximum for weight loss. So some days not having as many, (others slightly more!!)

Dont give up!! Remember how many carbs we used to eat??? Surely we can beat this!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 05:05
Registered Member

BF:

Well, that's true - I was really piling it on with the old WOE...I just need to be a bit gentler with myself I think.

I need to keep telling myself that it's okay to only lose 1-2 pounds per week, and that it is a lifestyle change here, not a diet.

Sounds easy enuf', but those old tapes seem to take over sometimes..
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 05:11

BF:

Exactly, keep thinking "new lifestyle". So one bad day wont hurt either. Just dont let it become a bad week/month or worse!!!

I'm finding the excercise is really helping too. If I dont lose weigh, I measure and tend to find I've lost cm's. (I do cm's instead of inches cause they come off quicker!!!)
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 19:24

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Talking CAD/CALP

Congratulations to you both ... Tarnyap and prsloan.... you are both willing to make mistakes in learning what works for you as individuals!! I honestly think that the people who are successful long term are the ones who take risks.

On that note... LOL.....I have never followed anything but CALP. I must say that I think I probably would not have stayed with Atkins if I had to do the Induction. I lost a lot of weight right off the bat and am now loosing 1-2 pounds per week. So you are right, it is slow.....but thats okay because it is a Way Of Life. Right?

Try not to think of the Reward Meal as a "free meal". It isn't. It must be balanced and it must fit that one hour time frame. I have rarely ate my Reward Meal and then craved anything more.

I found the CALP book to be much easier to understand and follow than CAD. It is the same plan as CAD only it is updated, more clear and laid out in a more user friendly manner. You might like the CALP book better.

Best wishes......
and continued good health,
Libby

Last edited by Libbyfcr : Sat, Apr-27-02 at 15:11.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 04:58
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Libby and Tarnyap,

Thx for the encouragement - I gained so much after last w/ends indulgence that I did go back on induction this past week and mangaged to lose 4 of those lbs...then yesterday had a RM at lunch. Last night had steak and veggies so kept it low carb.

I'm personally thinking of easing into the CALP - maybe one or two RM per week..

Libby, you say you've only done CALP and I've noticed you've lost almost 40 lbs...do you mind me asking how long it took to get there?

And has your RM always been just healthy or did you ever splurge and do dessert, or wine with it?

Thx so much for the support - it makes all the difference.

Prsloan
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 10:38

BF:
Talking CALP

On January 22nd of this year I was almost 40 pounds heavier than I am today. Thats three months......and a couple of days.

I rarely do deserts. I tell myself that I can have them with my dinner but I just never have room after eating everything else. I have had to teach myself that if my plate still has food on it that it is OKAY to throw it away if I am full. I grew up hearing about the poor starving children in China, Ethiopia or wherever else was popular at the time and it has taken me a lot of time to change this habit. But I am.

I don't drink. Never have. I gave up my terrible Diet Coke habit almost a year ago. That has made a big difference for me.

Once in a while I have a "bread" or pasta type item, but I do notice that it makes me crave more. (I start looking in the fridge every time I walk by, even though I just ate) So I am trying to stick with healthier high carb foods like squash, beans and fruits. If I am going to have a high carb food I figure it had better be good for me.

I am starting to feel like this IS a way of life and not just a diet. That is my goal. I want something that is going to work for me for the rest of my life. So check back with me in a year.

Right now I am working on the Options for Life in the CALP book.
Some are easy, some I have to work on.

I think I wrote a novel. LOL.....
Libby

Last edited by Libbyfcr : Sat, Apr-27-02 at 10:46.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 14:38
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the info, Libby...

It's really neat to hear of such success. I am going to give this my best shot - don't know if I'll be able to totally give up the occasional glass of wine or dessert - maybe that will come in time.

What about snacks? I just melted a little butter and put it over pecans - wonderful...hope it's 'legal'!

Thx,

Paula
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 15:09

BF:
Default pecans

1 oz of dry roasted pecans, lightly salted has 3.83 g carbs and 2.69g fiber according to fitday.com.

I would think that pecans, like everything else would be good in moderation!

I like nuts, don't eat them often, but I don't feel guilty when I have a handful.

Libby
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 15:14

BF:
Default Way of Life

Quote:
- don't know if I'll be able to totally give up the occasional glass of wine or dessert -

You shouldn't have to. "Occasional" is a good word. I like it.

Libby
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 15:39

Plan: UltraGlycemix
Stats: 244/240/150
BF:
Progress: 4%

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarnyap
Oh Dear!!!! I dont think thats quite what they meant!!

Still try the CAD version, only still try to make sensible choices.
Your carbs are only supposed to make up a third of the meal (I think) Also the meal is only supposed to last a maximum of 1 hour.

I'd just like to say, that for those of us who are carbo sensitive in certain ways, having some leads to having some more....

I hate to say there are things I shouldn't have, but I'm beginning to believe that there are...

sugar is poison. If I have some chocolate that is made with sugar, it is literally all I want.

And I will eat it until I am ill and gain large amounts of weight and my skin breaks out and I'm constipated and all that and I still don't care, it takes a lot to get me back to where I'll consider having diet instead of sugared stuff....

I really think it's a physical brain reaction...

But if you can eat a sensible amount of something, go for it!

We are all different...

-misty