Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 19:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 76/00/00 Female 167cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Darrell Lea Chocolates made with Splenda!

Dropped in at Darrell Lea the other day and noticed the Splenda label on their Sugar-free chocolate and also on chocolate coated nuts didn't have a good look so not sure of the carb count, but sounds like it's a step in the right direction ... if anyone is going by Darrell Lea or knows more!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 00:07
Registered Member

Stats: 217.8/190.9/154 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress: 42%
Unhappy Yucky!!

Hi Mos,
Yeah I was excited by the label too, but then I tasted it.....in a word...Yuck!!
But each to their own....some people love it! To me it is very oily with an awful after taste.uke:
If you must have chocolate I recommend Cadbury "lite". Its not made of spenda, but it tastes like real chocolate!
Available in 75g block. 5.25g carbs for whole block. But then no one would every eat a whole block to themselves...would they?

P.s. the sweetener used is Phenylalanine. Same stuff they sweeten sugarfree gum with. Excess consumption may have a laxative effect......so be careful.

Cheers Cheley.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 03:19

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%

The darrell lea chocolate has 0 carbs. The chocolate coated almonds have less than 4 grams a bag (I like these).
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 20:14
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: :(/://:) Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress:

What is this "Darrell Lea " you speak of? A shop in Oz? Im coming over to Oz in March I plan to buy this coles (I think its named) out of low carb products.. us kiwis don't seem to have much support over here.. just one shop in auckland. Any suggestions for low carb shopping in Queensland?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 20:27

Stats: 76/00/00 Female 167cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Darrell Lea

Coles is a chain of supermarkets in Australia

Darrell Lea is sold throughout Australia and you can also place overseas orders. Here is a link to address list for DL stores in Qld http://www.dlea.com.au/ShopLocations.asp?State=QLD
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 21:30
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

thankyou
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 22:48

Plan: paleo
Stats: 145/145/114 Female 161
BF:
Progress: 0%

just a point Phenylalanine is the same as aspartame isn't it?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 01:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/126/120 Female 164
BF:
Progress: 82%
Thumbs up Pretty good stuff for <0.5 gms a bar!

Hi there,

I found the Darrell Lea LC chocolate today!

I must say I thought it was really quite nice!! Granted it is not as good as dark, high percentage cocoa european chocolates (but I cant see that coming out in an lc version in the new future), so for the mean time this stuff will have to do. I havent tried the chocolate coated almonds though, saving them up for a long/busy night shift (find I need a real pick-me up, more like cheer-me up on these occasions)

BTW is lactilol another sugar alcohol as this is the primary ingredient in this bar, and could this then cause me to stall?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 16:58
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I brought some Cadbury lite yesterday and it was great also.. anyone else tried it?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 22:55

BF:

I do wish I could get my hands on some Cadbury lite, but the coles near me doesnt seem to stock it, havent gone up and asked them mind you. Which coles in Perth definitely has this stuff?

Tried the darrell lea chocolate coated almonds today (lc ofcourse). Pleasantly good. Even gave some to my non lc woe dh and he was fairly impressed and said he couldnt tell it wasnt sugar.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 17:53

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 172/149/144 Female 5ft. 3 1/2 inches
BF:45%/33%/27%

I agree that the darrell lea chocolate does NOT taste good. Must have a look out for cadbury Lite!

Yes,chebbles, lactilol is a sugar alcohol. If you're eating a lot of it it could be stalling you. Everything in moderation..even LC chocolate!!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 01:12

Stats: 67/615/60 Female 167cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chebbles
I do wish I could get my hands on some Cadbury lite, but the coles near me doesnt seem to stock it, havent gone up and asked them mind you. Which coles in Perth definitely has this stuff?

Tried the darrell lea chocolate coated almonds today (lc ofcourse). Pleasantly good. Even gave some to my non lc woe dh and he was fairly impressed and said he couldnt tell it wasnt sugar.

Cadbury Lite is available at Coles in Midland Gate, and also Swan View. Probably lots more, but they're the only two I shop at. If you like dark choc, try Lindt 85% Cocoa. (Also available at Coles) Not as low carb as Cadbury, and it takes a little getting used to, but a real treat when you really *need* that chocolate fix!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 03:14

BF:

Mmmm! Thanks Suey...I finally found some today and although I didnt see it at first pass of the confectionary stand I asked and ofcourse it was stashed at the very top. Yipee..quite good but got carried away and had half the bar!

Funnily enough I used to eat the Lindt 85% cocoa in my pre LC days and it was just brill, was never really into the sweeter chocolates then anyway (I think it might have been the sheer quantities I consumed that did me in, the less sweet, lower carb choccies still add up!) I intend to get back to eating a square or so of the good stuff (lindt) once I hit maintenance but will be a bit apprehensive to seeif it starts cravings etc.

Cheers for the info. PS nice to have such friendly folk in Perth, feel pretty isolated out here sometimes cf eastern states with respect to a lot of stuff.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 06:47

Stats: 136.6/128.7/121.2 Female 163-164 cm
BF:unsure
Progress: 51%

Coles Carousel (westfield cannington) have cadbury lite too
Came in handy for my movie date with a friend last week while she pigged out on the real stuff.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 06:22

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 325/299/176 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

I get my cadbury lite from my local woolies