Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-17, 08:16
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%
Default Dr. Aseem Malhotra: Reversing heart diseases starts by stopping fear of cholesterol

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-17, 12:58

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks for the link, Glenda. It's a powerful speech by Dr. Malhotra. There is something that's gnawing at me, however, and that's the presentation of the Pioppi Diet as if it were the one diet everyone should follow. As we state repeatedly, "one size does not fit all," and I realize he's selling a book, but to the uninitiated, a specific diet is being recommended. There's no doubt that it's healthier than a SAD where "healthy" processed foods and sugars abound. As many know, it takes a personalized approach to fine tune a WOE that works for the individual.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-17, 13:19
Doing My Best

Yes, Rob. For us this is preaching to the choir, but for many it's revolutionary.

My DH has a heart condition and I would welcome having him embrace the Pioppi Diet, rather than his carb-heavy diet. Even though we eat only real food in this house, he is European and eats lots of bread. (I make his whole-wheat loaves.)

I sent him the links, careful to tell him I'm not attempting to "convert" him, but I really am. Any changes have to be his own idea.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-17, 14:07

BF:

I like your strategy. I have a similar approach with my family.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-17, 16:48

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Thanks for the link, Glenda. It's a powerful speech by Dr. Malhotra. There is something that's gnawing at me, however, and that's the presentation of the Pioppi Diet as if it were the one diet everyone should follow. As we state repeatedly, "one size does not fit all," and I realize he's selling a book, but to the uninitiated, a specific diet is being recommended. There's no doubt that it's healthier than a SAD where "healthy" processed foods and sugars abound. As many know, it takes a personalized approach to fine tune a WOE that works for the individual.

That's what I thought when I read about this book "what, another low carb diet book? Why do we need it?". I guess if it turns some new people onto a healthier way of eating it's a good thing but I prefer a more expansive approach to eating low carb such as you find on dietdoctor.com. I've been doing this so long it seems impossible to me that people still are unaware of low carb, but I know that it's true so maybe the more people who get into the act of endorsing it in as many different ways as possible the more likely it is to get through to some people.

Jean
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-17, 17:39
Doing My Best

DH is aware of my success and my good health. However, brainwashing is very powerful. Also, when the brainwashing says that eating fat is bad for the heart and the heart is "broken" it's a tough sell. "If I eat that way, it might kill me."
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-17, 17:43
Doing My Best

I have an actor friend from many years ago and we're in contact through FB. He just returned from a vacation, cut short because of bloating and discomfort caused by taking statins. How I wish I could tell him he'd be better off without, but I can't. However, I just decided that I'll post the link on FB. Maybe he or somebody else will read it and it'll change their health. Or save their lives.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-17, 18:20

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Glenda - It is so frustrating to see people you know harmng themselves. My cousin, the one I counseled on low carb eating, the one to whom I lent several of my books, the one for whom I cooked a low carb meal to demonstrate that it could be satisfying, this same cousin today posted a picture of herself in the North End of Boston, famed for it's Italian cuisine, stating she was there with her visiting son. She doesn't look good and before her on the table is something definitely not low carb. I was aware that she had quickly stopped eating low carb but seeing her picture made me sad. There's nothing more I can do.

Jean
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-17, 18:25
Doing My Best

What we eat, our diet, is just a reflection of what we all know to be true:
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

Guess we have to be pragmatic about - EVERYTHING.

That doesn't mean we must remain silent.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-17, 05:16

BF:

Agree that repetition is a good instrument for learning and developing awareness. Getting the word out about the fallacies of the Dietary Guidelines is important to reach as many as possible. One never knows when that lightbulb moment will occur and a book or video will be perfectly timed for that moment. It happened that way with me and writers like Taubes, Westman, Phinney and Volek, Cordain, Teicholz, and a few others were those who became my guides for making changes. Malhotra's new book has the potential to improve the eating habits of many and hopefully be the source of that lightbulb moment. It's become a message that must be repeated.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-17, 07:24
Doing My Best

DH is cautiously putting his toes into the water.