Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 10:46

Plan: Atkins, CAD, Atkins
Stats: 160/136.5/125
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Weekly support 2/4 thru 2/10/03

Okay guys! It IS a new week now!

I'm back down today, since TOM started, and I'm pleased as punch. I now know that I will gain about 3 pounds before TOM and lose it when it starts. I hope the extra weight doesn't throw my average off too far.

How is everyone doing this week?

Cindi.. how are things with the big kid back? I miss my own 20 year old, but I know I'd be wanting to strangle her in no time if she moved back. She's having a hard entry into adulthood, though, and I hear boys are much easier to deal with at that young adult age.

My biggest challenge this week will be the celebration dinner on Friday evening. I intend to REALLY celebrate too! Oh yeah.. did I tell you guys I got the job???!!! More pay, better bennies, more responsibility and a real nice, financially healthy company. A huge, huge move from nonprofit into corporate after 23 years, too. Nervous, scared, thrilled!

What are your challenges this week?

best to all,
Joanie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 14:46

Plan: CALP
Stats: 233/221/120
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hi everybody,

I'm kinda new. Started CALP in the beginning of December and lost 12 pounds the first month! Yippeeee!

Then, I guess I got a little cocky and decided to experiment. My RMs had been pretty low carb (just a high carb veg with protein and fruit and cottage cheese for dessert). So, I spent the month of January trying to add more carbs to my RM.

Wrong.

My weight loss dribbled down to not very much (2 pounds for the month) but worst of all I had HORRIBLE carbie cravings all day! Finally, I had primed my blood sugar so much I binged for the past three days!

Geesh!

Okay, so for the past two days I'm back on track. Being careful with the carbies.

It' so true, everyone is different. Ya gotta listen to your bod. So, its been kinda trial and error for me but I'm still hanging in! I still LOVE CALP!

barb
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 15:20

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%

Congratulations Joanie! I hope you just love the new job!

Things are going well with my son at home. It's hard to keep up with everyone's schedule now since my step son is really active in school and with friends and with my son working 2 different jobs, his schedule changes daily! But so far, things are good... just very hectic. The past 4 days seem like 7! Today he is buying a used truck, but it's way better than what he's been driving! DH has been taking him around today taking care of the details plus getting new tires on his own truck and taking step son to the eye doctor and a cat to the vet!

My weight loss is at a standstill right now. I'm afraid it might go up since TOM is in another week, but we'll see. Everything is going well dietwise, though, and I'm still exercising a lot.

Locarbarb... keep hanging in there. It's so easy to "stray" sometimes and it can really throw things for a loop, but the most important thing is getting back on course, and you have done just that!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 15:29

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

Congratulations, Joanie. I'm pretty new here, but I was reading about your job interview last week and was wondering what the end of the story was. Yeah!

I think you are really remarkable to leave the "safety zone" and move on after 20 years. That's so great. I wish I could find that kind of courage, but I don't know....

LowCarbBarb,
Congratulations for being back on track. Maybe it wasn't all your fault. Losing 12 lbs the first month was quite a lot. Maybe your body just had to catch up a bit. Two pounds doesn't seem like a lot, but it is the right direction in your journey! Don't beat yourself up, just keep going. It will be a great week.

As for myself, so far, so good. I am so pleased with how easy this is for me. Something is just clicking, at least for now, and I just get through each day. I have , yes, a sugary treat everyday and enjoy it throughly and guiltfree. I'm in the beginning of week 4 and have lost 7lbs.

Good Week to everyone

Deb
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 08:09

BF:

Hi guys!

Thanks for the congrats.. still nothing in writing but they promised it by the end of the week.

Welcome Barb and Deb!

Barb, I did the same thing as you.. decided I could start in with my Atkins muffins etc. at breakfast and lc bars at lunch like I did on Atkins. I put on more weight in December than I care to admit! Anyhow, since getting back on track in January I've gotten the hang of it. You're doing great!

Deb, the ability to eat higher carb foods really does help a lot in keeping to plan. At first I thought sure it wouldn't work because on Atkins if I ate one potato, or one cookie, I awakened 2 pounds heavier. On CAD I lose anyway.. I've been on CAD since October, but seriously on it since January. I find lately that the cake, cookie, bread thing is losing it's cheat appeal. When you can have it, you don't want it so bad or something like that. Anyhow, sounds like you're doing really great too!

Cindi, now you know why people go through "empty nest syndrome" when the house empties out for good! It must be really something to go from chaos to tranquility! I wouldn't know myself, still well entrenched in the chaos thing too, but I can only imagine.

Well, I've broken my setpoint, and much more easily than last time. Maybe it's no longer a setpoint!

best to all,
Joanie
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 10:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/carbohydrate addicts
Stats: 235/219/130
BF:45%/42%/20%
Progress: 15%
Default Hi All...

A new week and still loving this CALP. I lost 2 more pounds last week and I am able to eat my rolled oats! Congrats on the new job. I am in the middle of waiting for an answer for a transfer request. I drive a long ways to work and there is a possible transfer to a closer branch happening.....tension....anticipation...hummmm...good for burning fuel? Ha!
I wish for all ....a great week!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 15:30

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

Joanie..

Empty nest??? Is it real or just something I heard about once in a fairytale? Just kidding..I wouldn't trade the chaos, ( well, once in a while I would!), but sometimes I wish my daughter would spend just a little more time at her house than mine along with my adorable grandchildren! They are a part of my childcare, so after a long day, then a lengthy visit at pickup which frequently then includes dinner, I really feel like my 15 year old can take a back seat! I have a 20 yr. old at home too, but basically just for sleeping. He works long hours and comes home to rest.

Anyway, completely off topic, but I laughed when I saw your post.

Deb
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 19:58

Plan: CAD
Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally posted by locarbarb
Then, I guess I got a little cocky and decided to experiment. My RMs had been pretty low carb (just a high carb veg with protein and fruit and cottage cheese for dessert). So, I spent the month of January trying to add more carbs to my RM.

Wrong.

My weight loss dribbled down to not very much (2 pounds for the month) but worst of all I had HORRIBLE carbie cravings all day! Finally, I had primed my blood sugar so much I binged for the past three days!

That is truly odd.

Physically, it shouldn't affect you like that. There must be something else wrong. Because if you do it right, the weight should not add back on, nor should you get ANY cravings.

I know it is different with everyone, but that is how this plan works. Even if you OD it on RM you may suffer from overeating or too many calories, but your insulin levels should NOT be affected.

Are you going over the 60 minutes? Are you eating anything with too many carbs during your CM?

Really, it shouldn't have affected you in the way you described. If you had an allergy, it would have been actual adverse affects like tummy cramps, diarrhea, headaches, etc. Not hunger, cravings, binges or weight gain.

Can you detail what you were doing, please?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 20:39
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Cassie
Sensitivities and allergies can also cause cravings/binging as well as upset tummies and bloat. That's why a lot of people think they are CAs when really they are allergic to sugar and/or wheat or other foods. That's why CAD is about listening to your body so that you can weed out food allergies/sensitivities.

Otherwise you're correct. You shouldn't be craving/binging on CAD no matter how unbalanced your RMs are as long as you don't go over 60 minutes or expose yourself to allergens.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 08:34

BF:

Morning all! We got snow!

I'm still on a losing streak.. 131 this morning, although I started the week at 136. I even checked my scales with the ones at the doctor office to see if there was something funky, and I believe they were pretty close. Anyhow, since I had a little treat of LC waffles this morning (supposedly 2 G per serving, but I don't trust Atkins products anymore) I will probably be the same or a little up in the morning from water weight, but I'm not going to worry about it. Once or twice a month won't kill me, and it doesn't set me off on cravings. Also, I had a pretty low dinner last night of fish and green beans, so perhaps I can call this my RM or something.

Still no written offer,.. just a waiting game now for giving notice.

Hope all you northeasters are snug in your homes, and the rest of you are having fair skies. Spring is only a wish away.

best,
Joanie
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 10:06

Plan: CAD
Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

Thanks Zul!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 20:54

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default got me thinking........

Quote:
My RMs had been pretty low carb (just a high carb veg with protein and fruit and cottage cheese for dessert).

um...... remember to try to keep your Reward Meal balanced. Don't forget your Low Carb Veggie.....and your salad!

Libby
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 19:24

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%

I haven't been on in a couple of days, but I sure have missed this! My weight was down to 158.5 today. I had a carb heavy RM tonight, though, so I don't know how my body will react to that... probably not good, but I'll see. At least it was down a little more so I know my body can do it!!!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 16:19

Plan: CAD + South Beach Diet
Stats: 230/177/160
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default what!!!!!

DID EVERYONE TAKE A NUTRITIONAL VACATION?

A GOOD CAD DAY! Tomorrow will be better. i am off to watch oprah, there's a good show on today.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 16:48

Plan: CAD + South Beach Diet
Stats: 230/177/160
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default what!!!!!

DID EVERYONE TAKE A NUTRITIONAL VACATION?

A GOOD CAD DAY! Tomorrow will be better. i am off to watch oprah, there's a good show on today.