Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-08, 14:46

Plan: south beach
Stats: 338/288/199 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Screw you, Scale!!!

today jumped on the scale, my weekly weigh in, and I have GAINED two lbs. I'm really upset. I've been SO good. I've actually noticed more of a weight loss this week than any other, go figure!? I was like "Darn, I must have lost at least 8lbs!"

I'm near my period (coming in the next 3-4 days) and my eating habits have been off this week. BF was coming home very late and I didnt make dinner two nights and ate MUCH MUCH less than I have any other week.

Is it possible eating LESS has caused weight gain?

I'm really bummed. GAINED WEIGHT! I know people go through stalls, but gain!? And I have sooooo much to lose, I can't see me having a stall yet, so I dont see that being the reason.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-08, 15:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/169/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 73%

I always gain during my TOM. Mine actually was last week, and a few days after I was completely off...I was back down and then had lost another pound.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-08, 16:25

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I gained two pounds since yesterday -- it's left me slightly depressed all day. But it's normal for weight to fluctuate. If you think of it in terms of percentage, it's not much of a fluctuation at all.

I weigh daily so I can see the overall trend. If you only weigh weekly, you'll have to wait seven days to see what happens next, and then you'll be in your TOM, which never gives the weigh-in that you want to see.

Hang in there. Can you see other improvements? For example, many people have relief from their allergies, asthma, acne, heartburn, sleeplessness, brain fog, etc. It's not all about weight loss. There are many other benefits to this way of eating.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-08, 16:27

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hormones really can play havoc on some women's bodies. Has this happened before your TOM in the past? Also take a look at you menu in the last couple of days. Does it have any excess sodium in it that could be the culprit? Sometimes my body does weird things..... simply because. I've learned not to get too upset by minor fluctuations as long as the overall trend is a downward one.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-08, 16:42

Plan: 90% classic Schwarzbein
Stats: 342/257/165 Female 5'7"
BF:>55%/51%/<30%
Progress: 48%

Congrats on your loss so far!

Yes, you can gain weight by eating less. Your body reacts to a decrease in expected calories by storing away what it can, in case the "famine" lasts. Every body is different, but I lose more when I'm eating plenty of calories (at least while my weight is this far above ideal). Combine that with hormones and your gain isn't that surprising!

However, it's temporary. Stay on plan, get your calorie level where it should be, and keep on keepin' on. If it doesn't drive you crazy, you might consider weighing more often (or if it does, less often!). I weigh daily, so I can see that when I've had a big, fast loss, I usually gain back about 60% of that the next week, even though I don't make any changes. Then the next week, I drop that 60% again, and more with it.

Sounds like you were feeling great this week. Don't let a couple of pounds, which is probably water, diminish your achievement.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-08, 16:49

BF:

thanks everyone.

It's just such a total bummer, and very depressing. I have noticed loss, especially in my face and waist area. Pants are looser on me, etc. But when you see you have gained, its like a slap int he face.

I am just going to try very hard this week, and cut out cheese except for a tiny bit in my salad each day.

I'm going to chalk this up to TOM and hope next week my loss is back on track.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-08, 17:35

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

I'm probably not one to be giving advice but I'm going to anyway! ha ha.
first, Don't panic -fluctuations happen.
Second, up your water drinking.

If your pants are looser, you are doing something right. Don't let the scale rule!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-08, 21:20

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Oh - welcome to my world! I gain at least two pounds every TOM - about 2-3 days before I start, and it hangs on for about 7-8 days - so I feel your pain. Try not to let it get you down. I am sure that soon, you'll return to normal and you'll go along your merry way. Every single month I have to remind myself that this is just part of being a girl - at least for me. Hopefully for you, this is just an aberration and you are just having a watery month. I just tell myself every month that the gain is all in my rack - so my ta-tas must be extra fabulous. It's how I live with myself.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-08, 21:43
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Don't let the scale get you down. Gains happen, they did to me when I was losing. Trust your pants and the other indicators that you are getting smaller... you can outwait the scale, you are smarter than it!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-08, 01:12
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 284/246/168 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 33%

Yes I gain at that time of month too!!

Just ignore whatever the scales say - it's just a temporary state!! You know that you're losing and doing the right thing - that's all that matters.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-08, 03:38

Plan: Atkins-ish/IF-ish
Stats: 385/278/180 Female 5'10"
BF:something, maybe
Progress: 52%

Synne, as others have said, it's likely just *water weight.*

Scales just *look* at one thing...overall weight. That's comprised of a host of factors. Your pants tell the real story, they're looser. Go with that.

You're doing a great job!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-08, 14:11

BF:

*blush*

okay today I am down from 320 to 317.

I guess it is water weight messing with me. How annoying! I am NOT checking my weight when I'm near or having my period anymore! GAH! Too stressful. I was bummed all day yesterday because of it!

thanks for all the replies!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 12:38

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synne
I guess it is water weight messing with me. How annoying! I am NOT checking my weight when I'm near or having my period anymore! GAH! Too stressful. I was bummed all day yesterday because of it!

I know I'm bringing this thread back up from the (somewhat) dead, but synne, that might be a very good idea. You know your weight is going to flucuate, you know its going to mess with your head, so just don't weigh for a few days before your TOM. Just a suggestion.. good luck, Jody
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 13:31

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hi Synne: I know this was really frustrating and stressful for you when it was happening (glad to hear you lost the weight), but I just noticed your subject line

Screw you, Scale!!!

and it made me laugh!

It's exactly I feel. I think I'm going to adopt that as my personal tag line.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 15:13

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 324/283/245 Male 71.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

There is a great post somewhere in here called (if I recall correctly) "Why the Scale Can Lie". Read that, relax, just stay with the program.