Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-16, 08:48

Plan: SEC
Stats: 198/183/150 Female 168 (5.512 ft)
BF:
Progress: 31%

Great thread, thank you! I am a semi-low carber. I eat much more fruit today, more nuts, seeds, veggies and beans. My blood sugar got to low on lower carb diets.
Have a good one.
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-16, 06:27

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Well, I see there are still some semi-low carb posters around. I have not lost any weight in ages. I have a hard time staying on LC for any length of time. Lose a few them back up. I have given up sugar and don't miss it, and do without most starchy carbs, but do have them occasionally. I am probably closer to CAD/CALP than LC, but still no loss.

I am about to try something that would NOT be accepted on this forum, so I won't mention it, unless it is extremely successful! LOL It can't hurt to try!!
  #183   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-16, 08:03

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 260.4/201/180 Female 5'6"
BF:fluffy
Progress: 74%

The suspense is killing me LOL
  #184   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-16, 11:37

Plan: SEC
Stats: 198/183/150 Female 168 (5.512 ft)
BF:
Progress: 31%

I am very curious too.
Low carb diets, vegan, raw, fruit, detoxes and so on always worked for me ... probably because they most often did not include some of the food I was allergic to. I love my proteins in moderation. I need them. When documentaries talk about "sugar" I am always puzzled why the differences aren't brought up - f i milk sugars or wheat sugars and so forth are never mentioned that may cause allergies, oedema, depression, even cravings for some. I tried a life span diet many years ago that was low GI pro- protein and semi low carb that included fruit sugars, fructose was essential on that doctors diet. I remember how great I felt. On CAD/ CALP I got that as well... since then I have stuck to the more allowing "maintenance lifespan diets" since they work so well for me. In fact I have not dieted since 1999 and not ever felt deprived since I started to eliminate foods I am allergic to. I am om a journey always open to listen to my body, reading articles, books - willing to make new changes. I try to eat a variety of foods, when I do I feel my best. Vegetables,proteins, seeds, nuts, beans, fruits are all important to me ...
Keep us posted!

Last edited by Happy girl : Fri, Jun-24-16 at 22:31.
  #185   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 12:22

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm still around now and then. I keep my diet semi low-carb. Breakfast is either no carb or I skip it, lunch is fairly low-carb (I eat out but avoid any grains--usually just veggies and meat, like a stir fry), dinner can be anything from fish and veggies, to a couple slices of thin crust pizza and a salad. We usually have a low-carb desert also. I've managed to keep my weight down to about 137 by eating this way. I'd like to lose 5 more pounds again, but right now it just isn't top priority.

Once things settle down some more, I'll probably go back to skipping breakfast more. I'm 7 days completely off a very fattening drug and hopeful that might also help me keep my weight down.

Also very curious what you are up to PaCarolSue!
  #186   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-16, 18:33

Well, my experiment was short lived. I tried eating high vegetable comsumption, with just a bit of protein. It didn't have any starchy carbs, but I didn't stick to it for more than a few days. I missed my meat too much.

Now I am no longer semi-low carb. I had a very high blood sugar spike a couple weeks ago from some stupid carelessness and I decided it was time to quit playing games with my health. I have been eating very low carb, bordering on Atkins Induction. My blood sugar has been so excellent...reading are actually in the normal range. I've dropped a few pounds, too, and plan on continuing. One day at a time.
  #187   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-16, 03:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/175/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 0%

Interesting PaCarolSue. Thanks for the update.
I am thinking much along the same lines as you. Plan to cut right down on starchy veg and probably cut protein a bit, see if that keeps hunger/cravings/habit-not sure which at bay!
Good luck with your new plan and keep us updated.
  #188   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-16, 06:02

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

You know, some of the experts say that vegetables are just carriers for the fat and they also slow protein digestion which helps minimize the insulin spike you get from protein. That was Dom D'Augustino. Jeff Voloc says to eat a pretty liberal amount of vegetables.
I think that 4-6 ounces of protein (for an average size woman) is a good amount and don't forget that part of that is fat, with a good veggie is a healthy low-carb meal.
My blood sugar is stable and normal.
  #189   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-16, 07:55

My thinking was that vegetables are lower in calories depending on how they are prepared, and high in nutrients. And I like them. I will research Dom D'Augustino and Jeff Voloc. I know a lot of hard core low carbers say that the carbs in vegetables can cause a stall, and maybe for some they do. But I always say "I did not get fat from eating too much broccoli." I need to control my tendency to blow it with things like pasta, pizza, and such. My last starchy carbs were on July 28. Pizza. I have had no starchy carbs at all for 8 days. Each day without them my 14 days average blood sugar goes down a bit. Maybe I will work on seeing how long I can go consecutive days without starchy carbs. Hopefully it will become the new norm for me. I'm liking this so far and feel in control.
  #190   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-16, 08:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Volek? He's one of the authors of The Art and Science of Low Carb Living, as well as The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance.
  #191   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-16, 10:37

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCarolSue
My thinking was that vegetables are lower in calories depending on how they are prepared, and high in nutrients. And I like them. I will research Dom D'Augustino and Jeff Voloc. I know a lot of hard core low carbers say that the carbs in vegetables can cause a stall, and maybe for some they do. But I always say "I did not get fat from eating too much broccoli." I need to control my tendency to blow it with things like pasta, pizza, and such. My last starchy carbs were on July 28. Pizza. I have had no starchy carbs at all for 8 days. Each day without them my 14 days average blood sugar goes down a bit. Maybe I will work on seeing how long I can go consecutive days without starchy carbs. Hopefully it will become the new norm for me. I'm liking this so far and feel in control.

Hi Carolsue~ here is a thread posted by Janet which has all of the lectures from the Metabolic Therapeutics Conference talks/Epigenix Foundation
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...314#post9147314
  #192   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-16, 12:37

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCarolSue

I agree, I find it difficult to vilify any vegetables short of potatoes. But then again I'm pretty active and not at all diabetic. I'm not highly motivated to cut out carrots, measure broccoli, tomatoes, etc...

I'll be interested to see how you do with not eating "starchy carbs"--are you referring to products made with grains? or including potatoes, corn, etc..? I'd really like to cut out grains completely, starting with wheat. But so far it has proven too difficult for me to do for more than a few days. I think I'll start with just cutting the gluten grains such as wheat and see if that makes much difference.

I've heard that cutting out grains is very good for the teeth and I'm interested in seeing if that really is the case. My teeth are a mess right now, looking at a very expensive root planing.
  #193   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-16, 09:10
Registered Member

Plan: Partially dietitian
Stats: 161.4/158.8/148 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 19%

I know this is a really old thread, but I thought I'd see if there are others that fit into the "semi" low carb dieter category. On my prescribed program I can eat up to 60 mg of net carbs, although I do have to watch my fat consumption to a degree. I did this diet 4.5 years ago and lost over 30 lbs in about 6 months and it normalized what were really bad blood test results. Now another doc told me to lower my starchy carbs again because my blood tests have been bad again for a while.

I was following Weight Watchers and found I used a lot of my WW points on starchy carb stuff. Waaaaaaaay more than 60 mg each day. Being back to "lower" carb will discipline me to eat more veggies, fruit, and protein. I will also be preparing a lot of low carb foods that are good substitutes for starchy carbs.

I have not been a major sugar eater for a long time and will continue to keep things with refined sugars and corn syrup to a bare minimum. I've been rewarded by doing this by my glucose levels being good for quite a while. At one point before I did the "semi" low carb diet over 4 years ago I was pre-diabetic.

I guess some differences there will be between my "semi" low carb diet and much lower carb diets is that I will allow myself to consume some things others won't. But of course if 5 months from now my triglycerides and cholesterol are still high, I'll likely have to cut some of those things down (like regular dairy) a bit more.

Last edited by Cthebird : Thu, Oct-13-16 at 09:20.
  #194   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-16, 09:29
Registered Member

Plan: Partially dietitian
Stats: 161.4/158.8/148 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 19%

I'm sorry. I didn't notice that this old thread was moved to a special forum for semi-low carb followers. When I first saw this thread I don't believe this forum was here. I'm recently back, so I didn't know that. I understand if the admins would prefer this thread not to continue.
  #195   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-16, 09:50

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I shoot for max 60 grams per day. I don't call that "semi low carb' - it's full on low carb, just not the 20g per day for super keto. My plan is Jan Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet.

I just love having root veg and other veg at dinner. That's when I have my starches. I find it makes a very satisfying dinner. My breakfasts and lunches are just protein and sometimes some fruit or veg.

Breakfast - hard cheese, sometimes tomatoes
Lunch - cottage cheese or cold cuts, plus salad or veg soup
Dinner - protein, fat, green veg, root veg.

I wonder if Dr Kwasniewski is still working? He would be really old and has gone radio silent.

Last edited by Seejay : Thu, Oct-13-16 at 10:50.