Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-12, 23:36

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 222/184/144 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Widget's Stuffing (with pics)

After several attempts at making stuffing using various lc bread recipes, I came to the conclusion that, at least for me, the traditional way of making stuffing with pre-baked bread doesn't work well for lc stuffing, so I decided to bake the bread along with the stuffing. It worked very well. This is good and tastes like traditional sausage stuffing.

I used rubbed sage, but you can use any seasonings that suit your own taste. One tablespoon of rubbed sage is equal to 1 tablespoon of dried sage or 2 1/4 teaspoons of ground sage. If you add poultry seasoning, thyme or other, you'll have to cut down quite a bit on the sage. Since that is the only herb I put in my stuffing, I go heavy on the sage.

STUFFING (serves 8)

3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped pork rinds (approx. 1/2 oz.)
1 tablespoon rubbed sage
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder

1 lb. bulk sausage
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup onion, chopped
3/4 cup celery, chopped

2 eggs
1/2 cup chicken broth

Grind the pork rinds into a flour. In a small bowl, stir together the first 5 ingredients. Set aside. Oil an 8" square pan.

Brown the sausage, remove the sausage from the skillet. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add the butter, onion and celery to the skillet and cook until done the way you like it. Remove from heat.

In a small bowl, using a fork, beat the eggs and broth until well combined. Stir in 1/2 of the dry ingredients until well blended, then the other half. Stir 1/2 of this mixture into the skillet, then the other half. Stir in the sausage.

Spread into the pan and bake 25 minutes, just until lightly browned. Can be frozen.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-12, 18:42
Registered Member

Plan: south beach
Stats: 185/185/125 Female 4'10in.
BF:[url=http://www.my
Progress: 0%

This is the dressing I will be useing ,thanks
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-13, 18:13
Registered Member

Plan: Maintenance Dr. A
Stats: 140/140/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hey, I'm making this right now.

I hope that I haven't messed it up, I'm tweaking it.

First thing is I don't have a 8x8 pan but I have some small single serving size corningware, like the kind people serve artichoke dip in. Anyway, I'm using two of these so it will be thicker than your photo.

also, I used only 5T of butter cause I used the fat from the sausage that cooked out.

Someone posted your recipe elsewhere and it confused me cause it said to measure the pork rinds coarsely ground, but I see now that you said to make it into a flour, I have it somewhere in between, some flour and some small bits.

Also, I used a Tablespoon of Poultry Seasoning to get the sage in....I'll bet that's why it tastes so salty....

We'll See in 30 minutes how it comes out. I'm sure it will take a bit longer since mine is more compact and thick.

I plan to take one of these personal sizes dishes with me to my Families thanksgiving dinner. So they will have the typical bready dressing and I'll have Sausage Dressing.

Thanks for the recipe, I tasted it before it went into the oven, it's a great flavor. Because it's kinda salty, I'll probably eat it with some mashed cauliflower since I'm sure the gravy will be salty as well.

[30 minutes later...]

Wow, it has just the right flavor. I think mine is a bit softer and less held together cause it's thicker, but dressing is not supposed to hold together like a cake, so I don't care. The almond flour gives it a kinda corn bready texture. It tastes like it has bread in it, for real! Hahaha! I'm gonna enjoy of them them a bit and save the other for Thursday.

Thanks again. Sorry I have no pic, my camera is on borrow.

Last edited by metqa : Mon, Nov-25-13 at 19:14.