Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 01:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Thanks Kevin!!!!!

Islandgirl--I AM SOOOOO JEALOUS!!!!! I was looking at the ice cream makers with the freezing units and was soooo tempted but they are sooooo pricey!! I think the one I looked at was a Cuisinart for about $250.

In terms of the sweetener--I'm finding that in the last few batches I;ve been makeing I've cut down on the sweetener. I made a batch of cinnamon ice cream and used 4 GTT Sweetfreez and only 1 TBS Fiberfit and thought that it was plenty sweet enough. I think that the longer I stay true to plan the less sweet I like sweets (if that makes any since at all).

Make sure you use 3 egg yolks not 2--it really does make a difference in creaminess. Let me know how it turns out--and if you tweak it for the better keep me posted because I'm sure there is always room for improvement.

Hey, that's the best price I found for the Cuisinart, too, after much hunting...so I got me a Lello (new name for an old standby -- escapes my middle-aged brain at the minute -- in the commercial ice cream makers) at a whopping 148.00 USD inc taxes and shipping, couldn't turn it down!

Sooooooooooo, I'm combining 2 tests and making my longstanding dream, Ginger! Now wouldn't that make an ice cream sundae and a half together with a scoop of your Green Tea!

I've candied the ginger tonight, with a byproduct of ginger syrup, tomorrow (I hope) the icecream, using bits of ginger and the ginger syrup. Fun!

ps: definitely going for the 3 yolk method...I read through all the threads
pps: more brain infarct again, what's a GTT? all I've got going thru my brain at the moment is glucose tolerance test, and the the static is obscuring my culinary bits!

Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 11:18
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
pps: more brain infarct again, what's a GTT? all I've got going thru my brain at the moment is glucose tolerance test, and the the static is obscuring my culinary bits!

Thats an apothecary abbreviation for drops--sorry.

I looked at Lello's and then got all confused and then just put all the ice cream makers on hold. I want to know all the details. Funny you would say ginger--I ordered some giner extract just for that reason. I thought that maybe I could figure out a way to make candied ginger (but it sounds like you have solved that dilemma )

The other flavor that I made was butter rum almond. When making the "milk"--I left out a 1/4 cup water and replaced it with Davinci Butter Rum syrup and added in 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds at the end of freeezing--that flavor was the bomb!!

I'm waiting with baited breath for your first ice cream batch!! I'm just pea green with envy
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 11:36
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

Oh Lisa, I had to order an ice cream maker, just because of you can't wait to try your recipes!
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 13:02
Registered Member

Quote:
... I want to know all the details. Funny you would say ginger--I ordered some giner extract just for that reason. I thought that maybe I could figure out a way to make candied ginger (but it sounds like you have solved that dilemma )

The other flavor that I made was butter rum almond. When making the "milk"--I left out a 1/4 cup water and replaced it with Davinci Butter Rum syrup and added in 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds at the end of freeezing--that flavor was the bomb!!

I'm waiting with baited breath for your first ice cream batch!! I'm just pea green with envy

Bwaaaa haaaaaa! I'm enjoying this just a LITTLE too much! I'll post the candied ginger recipe and the ice cream recipe when it's all said and done and taste/scoop tested (probably tomorrow sometime) ! I've only just unpacked the Lello gizmo, and am praying it survived all the tossing about in the shipping. My opinion when I was shopping? Cuisinart has a name premium in the price, tho it's probably a very good machine (and I really like the stainless steel cladding, but that's expensive cosmetic, too). The Lello comes from a long line of commercial ice cream makers (dang, I wish I could remember the name) and is a competitive price, and when it goes on "sale", it wins hands down. I was even checking on EBay for a week or two, to see if I could beat the sale price -- checking every day to make sure it was still on sale.

Odd, I bought some ginger 'extract' a while ago (it's got a warning on it, so strong!) but it never occurred to me to use that in the ice cream; well, at least not this time...this is the alpha test, maybe in the beta test

That butter rum almond sounds pretty good, now I'm beginning to think I'll have to do something with the 40-some bottles of DaVinci I've got lying around! Oh no! Your fault!

#35   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 21:08
Registered Member

Default Ginger Ice Cream

is churning NOW!

#36   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 21:17
Every day is day one

BF:

EEEEEEK!!!! I can't wait!!!
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 22:14
Every day is day one

BF:

Is it done yet???
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 22:49
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Is it done yet???

Mine is...........

OK, I followed Lisa's directions with the following ingredients.

3 egg yokes
175 ml. hood lc 2 % milk
25 ml davinci carmel syrup
1/8 t sweetzfree (1/2 c. equivilant)
1 T. ThickenThin not/ Sugar
2 t. glycerine
1 oz. Nestles pre-melted unsweetened chocolate
200 ml. half/half

2 mins before it was done I added

2 T unsweetened coconut
2 T chopped pecans

I omitted
100 ml water
4 t. glycerine
1 T fiberfit
green tea

Texture and taste is super creamy and quite Yummy
I will report back about the hardness of it tomorrow.

#39   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 02:19
Registered Member

Quote:
Is it done yet???

Wouldn't you know, my email provider's servers went for a hoop for the last 24 hours and I've been running malware scans thinking it was me!

Yes, the stuff is amazing!! Before it even went into the churn, I was loving the creaminess and flavour. After the churn and before the solid freeze, as it solidified/chilled around the edges I was testing it ! Delicious and wonderful. The Ginger is creamy, cold and hot all at the same time... ooooooh.... This batch has frozen a bit hard (but definitely edible and not as hard as the traditional frozen icy brick) but I think I 'undertweaked' the PDX Ginger Syrup a bit, and not enough glycerine to compensate.

Theoretically, I can make another batch within 3 minutes of ending this one, but WHAT am I gonna do, have 2 L of ice cream lying around the house begging to be eaten!?!

Things I've learned (and I'll post the recipe a bit later, I'm still cleaning up my email):
  • Don't 'sugarcoat' the chopped 'candied' ginger going into the icecream, just makes graininess/sandy-ness and mars the creaminess a little (just a tiny bit ). Leave it more like candied fruitcake fruit.
  • Make sure (if using PDX) to have a 1.5:1 ratio to the Erythritol or other crystallizing bulk polyol, though I honestly don't know if any of the others crystallize as much as the E (Scott123 would know, chime in anytime!).
  • Don't make a whole Liter of a test flavour, it's too much! and you can't justify making more flavours -- yet -- !!
I'll see if I can't get a pic of it uploaded soon...right now my camera isn't co-operating either, sheesh, I'm having a bad karma week! Well, I'll just go finish that bowl of ice cream and I'll feel better

Last edited by IslandGirl : Sat, Jun-17-06 at 02:38.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 02:54
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpa
I will report back about the hardness of it tomorrow.

Although my attempt at this recipe did not get rock hard after being in the freezer a day, it did get harder than I like it.
Letting it sit on the counter 10 mins was enough to let it be spooned out nicely though.

The next time I try it I will go with the 2 T of glycerine that Lisa used.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 15:36
Registered Member

Talking Ginger Ice Cream w pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpa
Although my attempt at this recipe did not get rock hard after being in the freezer a day, it did get harder than I like it.
Letting it sit on the counter 10 mins was enough to let it be spooned out nicely though.

The next time I try it I will go with the 2 T of glycerine that Lisa used.

Ditto. I'm considering the same (after I tweak the PDX version). I'd really like to compare the PDX version side by side with the all-glycerine version...

Meanwhile:

Last edited by IslandGirl : Sat, Jun-17-06 at 15:44.
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 18:05
Every day is day one

BF:

Islandgirl--that looks so delicious!! I cannot wait for the recipe.

BTW--How long did it take to churn in your new fangled, modern machine
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 19:41
Registered Member

Quote:
Islandgirl--that looks so delicious!! I cannot wait for the recipe.

BTW--How long did it take to churn in your new fangled, modern machine

It's very tasty, nya nya na nya ya! (OOPS, WAS tasty, says Monika over here -- don't ask)

The churning, BTW took about the same time if not a little longer than the frozen urn route; probably the refrigerant coming up to speed. OTOH, I CAN make another batch 3 mins later IF I want . Meanie, eh?

I've already scaled down the base, and I'm going to tackle a side by side of the PDX and Glycerine versions in French Vanilla (Custard) style...soon...very soon...

Ginger Ice Cream recipe out of MasterCook when I get back to my own fixed computer...

#44   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 21:21
Kitchen Experimenter

I made another batch since my DD ate almost the entire 1st batch.

Mint Chocolate Chip

4 egg yokes
250 ml. hood lc 2 % milk
100 ml davinci Creme de Menthe syrup
1/8 t sweetzfree (1/2 c. equivilant)
5 t. ThickenThin not/ Sugar
2 T. glycerine
1 oz. Nestles pre-melted unsweetened chocolate
200 ml. half/half

2 mins before it was done I added

3 T. Eat Well Be Well SF chocolate Chips

The texture was about the same as the 1st batch but was noticeably softer.
I put the entire batch in the freezer.....minus 1 bite and will check tomorrow to see how soft it is.
I thought the taste was very super!!
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Jun-18-06, 06:26
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

Oh Kevin, thank you! Off to order the Mint Davinchi syrup! [I only have 14 other kinds on hand anyway] but i love mint chocolate chip best!