Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-12, 02:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/180/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Rain or Low Barometric Pressure = Fatigue & Fogbrain

Hi
I get fatigue and fogbrain when the weather changes... Low barometric pressure, rain/fog/high humidity all make me tired, achey, and spaced out. Sometimes, I get a migraine, too..ugh.

Does LC and/or casein (dairy) free dieting help?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 11:16

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

for me, it helps with everything!

I still don't like two days in a row of rain, but I don't have the feelings I had before with it.

I'm not completely casein free, because I do sometimes have a whey protein drink if I'm in a rush, but I've found with occasional use it doesn't seem to bother me.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 12:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I remember reading somewhere that the air pressure changes while going up/down elevators. Do you feel bad when going down an elevator?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-12, 02:45

BF:
Progress:

Elevators don't bother me too much...

Barometric pressure - primarily a drop in pressure - can really make me fatigued/achey and give me stuffy sinuses or even a migraine.

I have some remedies that help, but not as much as I would like them too... I'm hoping that LC/gluten & dairy free will help - especially w energy. I also get sick ALL the time, especially when it's damp & rainy..
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-12, 06:36

almost sounds like you might have a mold allergy, which the dampness usually enhances.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-12, 15:02

BF:
Progress:

What do you do or a mold allergy - besides give up sugar/gluten/dairy & taking probiotics? thanks.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-12, 10:42

I have no clue what can be done. Possibly use a dehumidifier inside.
Otherwise, treat it like any other allergy.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-12, 19:07

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacebug77
Hi
I get fatigue and fogbrain when the weather changes... Low barometric pressure, rain/fog/high humidity all make me tired, achey, and spaced out. Sometimes, I get a migraine, too..ugh.

Does LC and/or casein (dairy) free dieting help?

thanks!

When the barometer drops I get the same types of symptoms... very spacey brain fog, drowsiness, and more often than not, a migraine type headache. What's strange is that when the pressure drops at night when I am sleeping I wake up extremely agitated and am so restless I cannot resume sleeping!

I have been LC for 2.5 years and GF for the past year and it hasn't changed my sensitivity to atmospheric pressure drops. I'm not casein free, so can't comment on that. I can say that I no longer suffer from seasonal allergies and all my skin problems are gone (rashes from food allergies/sensitivities). Before I was LC I was sick ALL OF THE TIME. Now... hardly ever and when I am, it's not bad at all.

Nancy, that's funny about elevators. I never made the connection to pressure changes in a moving elevator... I get vertigo something fierce from using them, even if it's just a floor or two, just more incentive to take the stairs.

Not sure if it's related or not, but I also get extremely carsick if I try to do anything besides looking straight ahead through the point of travel, and I can't ride in the backseat either... I've been like this my whole life for all this stuff.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-12, 20:18

BF:
Progress:

Mfish - thanks! good to know that LC can possibly help my immune system ie, lessen severity/frequency of illness...

I was GF last winter - which was mild where I live.. In March & April we made up for our mild winter w lots of rain and I was sick non-stop... So, I guess the GF doesn't affect immunity for me, but the LC might.. Good to know that there's still hope.. thanks
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-13, 07:17

Plan: None
Stats: 195/195/178 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress:
Default Mfish me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish
When the barometer drops I get the same types of symptoms... very spacey brain fog, drowsiness, and more often than not, a migraine type headache. What's strange is that when the pressure drops at night when I am sleeping I wake up extremely agitated and am so restless I cannot resume sleeping!

I have been LC for 2.5 years and GF for the past year and it hasn't changed my sensitivity to atmospheric pressure drops. I'm not casein free, so can't comment on that. I can say that I no longer suffer from seasonal allergies and all my skin problems are gone (rashes from food allergies/sensitivities). Before I was LC I was sick ALL OF THE TIME. Now... hardly ever and when I am, it's not bad at all.

Nancy, that's funny about elevators. I never made the connection to pressure changes in a moving elevator... I get vertigo something fierce from using them, even if it's just a floor or two, just more incentive to take the stairs.

Not sure if it's related or not, but I also get extremely carsick if I try to do anything besides looking straight ahead through the point of travel, and I can't ride in the backseat either... I've been like this my whole life for all this stuff.

Mfish have you figured out what causes your symptoms yet. I have the exact symptoms. Even the waking up at night agitated. Please respond with any discoveries you made
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-12, 20:27

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Sure! I think another huge thing that has helped my immune system and overall health has been supplementing with Vitamin D... it's so important I feel it has to be mentioned
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-12, 03:57

BF:
Progress:

Yes! Vitamin D is fantastic! I do wonder what it really does... I think that there's way more to it than anybody knows right now...

The first time I was tested (2009) my Vitamin D was at 12! I felt so much better when I started taking it, but then I felt like too much wasn't a good thing either.. I think that for me it can upset the hormonal balance in my body a bit (it's actually a hormone - not a vitamin). I'm curious to know where the research will go re finding what it interacts with besides thyroid hormones... It's all such a puzzle

I'll let you know what happens w the Casein Free changes, speaking of puzzle pieces..
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-12, 11:25

Plan:
Stats: 180/180/180 Female
BF:
Progress: 90%

I agree about the vitamin D. A couple of years ago my blood showed very low and have been taking D supplements since. I feel my absolute worst when the barometric pressure drops. For me it is not a mold or humidity issue ... just the pressure. Once the storm starts and the front is passing I get relief. I swear in the winter my body ache can predict the weather better than the TV meteorologists. They say one inch snow, but my shoulders are hurting like four ... sure enough we get four. :-)
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-13, 07:12

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/144/120 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress: 14%

Can I ask how vitD interacts with thyroid ?
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-13, 12:39

I don't have experience in this, but I've read that Vitamin D deficiency has been implicated in autoimmune thyroid problems like Graves' disease and Hashimoto's. Not causing, but contributing.