Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-01, 20:27
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 290/270/150
BF:
Progress:
Smile

I made the recipe today but with some adjustments. I forgot the directions said large box of sf jello and I had bought the small one (strawberry) so I used that and 4 oz of cream cheese. I also decided since everyone said they had trouble with the amount of chocolate, I used "double" (which in this case meant I used the whole amount). I ended up putting 4 splenda packets in it and it was still bitter, but my roommate (who is a much more experienced cook than I am) said I probably scorched the chocolate when I heated it . And I also found that the centers were a bit too tangy [not that I didn't eat them anyway]. So I think when I make them the next time I'll use the small jello packet for 8oz of cream cheese.

Oh, I DID figure out a good way to coat them -- I just used my cake frosting spatula and frosted them! I also think next time I'll try raspberry and orange (not together ).
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-01, 23:54
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 290/270/150
BF:
Progress:

Well, I made them again today, with the following adjustments made to the original recipe, and they are TO DIE FOR! My roomie suggested putting the balls into the chocolate and then taking them out with a pair of forks (cradled around the ball rather than stuck into it) -- this works wonderfully and is not very messy at all!

Low-Carb Choco Cream Cheese Treats
Makes 12-24 chocolates
12 chocolates - 3.6g CHO 2.4g (0.4 oz) PRO per ball
18 chocolates - 2.4g CHO 1.6g (0.25 oz) PRO per ball
24 chocolates - 1.8g CHO 1.2g (0.2 oz) PRO per ball

Equipment
Water bath:
Very large bowl (at least 3 qt, or you could use a pot that large too)
Glass measuring cup or small bowl (must fit in large bowl with room for water in between)
hot tap water for water bath

Ingredients
1 8 oz pkg. cream cheese (not light) 16g CHO 16g PRO
1 sm. box of sugar free jello 2g CHO 4g PRO
1 pkg Splenda 1 g CHO

2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate 16g CHO (8g fiber) 8g PRO
3 tbsp heavy cream 3g CHO 1g PRO
2 tsp butter 0g CHO 0g PRO
6 or more packets of Splenda to taste (1g CHO each packet)
TOTAL 44g CHO 29g (4.8 oz) PRO

Directions
Mix the cream cheese, jello, and sweetener together, and place in freezer 10 minutes to chill. Form into 1/2 - 1 inch balls and place in a pan lined with wax paper/plastic wrap/aluminum foil. Chill again at least 20 minutes in the freezer.

Place butter and cream in glass measuring cup and microwave for 30 seconds on high. Place cup/bowl in large bowl and fill with enough hot tap water to reach the top level of the butter and cream. (Make sure the water is as hot as possible, and replace when water becomes cool enough to leave your finger in.) Pour chopped chocolate into the measuring cup and stir until chocolate is melted. (You may need to change the water once or twice.) Add the sweetener to the chocolate mixture -- add as many as you like to get the taste you like, just remember to add the additional gCHO to your calculations.

Take cream cheese balls out of the freezer and frost them with the chocolate (very messy!), then place them back in the freezer until the chocolate is set. I store mine in the freezer.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 13:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/116/100
BF:
Progress:
Default pudding instead

Do they make a sugar free pudding and can you use that instead of sugar free jello?
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 14:28
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Tina,

Don't go there!

1/2 cup of prepared Jell-o Fat/Sugar free chocolate pudding is 14 grams of carbohydrates.

I admire people who can have just one. for me, it's either none or one-thousand! LOL!

Karen
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 14:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/116/100
BF:
Progress:
Default not worth it

It just doesn't seem worth it for that many carbs, huh? I was only asking bc my husband doesn't realy like fruit and I was thinking that 'chocolate covered chocolate' idea might be more appealing that 'chocolate covered fruit'....know what I mean? But the strawberry jello doesn't sound to bad.

I just packed up 23 boxes of jello....too bad not one box was sugar free!!

Thanks for the advice!

Tina
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 17:02

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default can you just use gelatine

i was thinking of maybe making gelatine using the directions on the box (but use splenda) and maybe add some unsweetened cocoa?
brenda